Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2008 10:08:57 AM EDT
WA DOL is currently refusing on no grounds except that the FBI will not do background checks for non-LEO reasons - so they are "unable" to process.  AFL's are a "may" issue, not "shall" issue, so it is a slightly different matter legally compared to carry permits, but you can't get a carry permit as a legal permanent resident alien unless you have a AFL.

From WA DOL website:

"We are unable to issue alien firearms licenses at this time. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has told law enforcement agencies it is against federal law to use federal databases for background checks if the law enforcement agencies share the results with a non-criminal justice agency such as the Department of Licensing. This means law enforcement agencies cannot perform the background checks required by state law for issuing an alien firearms license. Without these background checks, we cannot complete the application process or issue alien firearms licenses. For more information, please call us at (360) 664-6616 or email us at [email protected]."

Alien Firearms License requirements are in RCW 9.41.170
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:12:40 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
WA DOL is currently refusing on no grounds except that the FBI will not do background checks for non-LEO reasons - so they are "unable" to process.  AFL's are a "may" issue, not "shall" issue, so it is a slightly different matter legally compared to carry permits, but you can't get a carry permit as a legal permanent resident alien unless you have a AFL.

From WA DOL website:

"We are unable to issue alien firearms licenses at this time. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has told law enforcement agencies it is against federal law to use federal databases for background checks if the law enforcement agencies share the results with a non-criminal justice agency such as the Department of Licensing. This means law enforcement agencies cannot perform the background checks required by state law for issuing an alien firearms license. Without these background checks, we cannot complete the application process or issue alien firearms licenses. For more information, please call us at (360) 664-6616 or email us at [email protected]."

Alien Firearms License requirements are in RCW 9.41.170

Yep, that's because the DOL (not a law enforcement agency) is in charge of alien permits.  If the local PD/Sherrif's Dept was in charge of the permits, it probably wouldn't be a problem.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:14:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I suppose they haven't explained what happens when an existing Alien Firearms permit expires, right?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I smell a catch-22! Your government at work.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like crap at work, Its all the same gubernment... Just issue permits to the qualified people and be done with it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:04:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I suppose they haven't explained what happens when an existing Alien Firearms permit expires, right?

No such hope.  Since it's a "May Issue", I suspect that this will soon hit the fan, since it's a Class C Felony for an alien to possess a firearm without the permit.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:08:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:41:23 PM EDT
[#7]

While we recognize the inconvenience this problem has created, until the
legislature modifies the existing law we are unable to process the alien
firearms license application. Please feel free to check back with us in
March and we will update you as to actions of the legislature.
Please feel free to contact us at 360-664-6616 [or FIREARMS@...
]if you have further questions or concerns.

Inconvenience? Ya thats what I would call making a few hundred if not thousand people felons overnight, especially if you are one of the new "by decree" felons.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:24:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Inconvenience? Ya thats what I would call making a few hundred if not thousand people felons overnight, especially if you are one of the new "by decree" felons.

The AFL as issued was good for 5 years, so it wasn't an overnight BAM everyone is a felon situation.

We've had two cracks at getting the proper legislation through, the most recent being ESHB 3148 Goal Alert.  The house passed it but the Senate let it die.

There were appx. 1300 AFLs in total,  most  are held by Canadians who are permanent U.S. residents.

So they need to dispose of their guns or be felons by the expiration date? Granted they have advanced notice its going to happen,(somewhere between days and years depending on the individual and whether or not the State notified each one of them) doesn't make it any less stupid on the State's refusal to renew them.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Wait.... Canadians are allowed to have guns?

Aw crap.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Now if they would do this to driver's license...

ETA I forgot to say DLs for undocumented workers
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#12]
It would be interesting to know how many have expired so far.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I wonder how they do it when it comes to CPLs? I know they check the names in WACIC and WSP scans the prints...
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top