Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2008 6:30:10 PM EDT
So I managed to sell my ring today, and I don't think I got hosed.

Weighed it a couple days ago, with the scale at work and it clocked in at right about a half an ounce.  It was 14 karat gold, so I figured that worked out to just under a third of an ounce of pure gold in the ring.

Took it into West Seattle Coins this afternoon, and got $200 for it.  The fellow there said they pay 80% of 'melt cost.'  I'm not quite sure what that means, but $200 out of a possible $300 and change seemed fine with me.  I took the money and left the ring.

I was all set to watch the WAHTF EE for a 10/22.  Sadly, I then remembered I have a surety bond that's up for renewal soon.  As luck would have it, that'll cost me $200.  So a 10/22 slipped out of my fingers, but at least I don't have to scramble to find an extra $200 in the budget this month to renew the bond.

Anyway, if your looking to unload any precious metals, I'd recommend West Seattle Coins.  They were really friendly and quick, and from what little I can tell, they didn't rip me off.  They also have a mountain of bullion, so if you're looking to stock up for the end of the world they might be a good source.

Still regret not getting the 10/22 though...

Link Posted: 4/16/2008 6:33:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used Midwest Refineries.

They give 89% of melt value.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#3]
HUI? Sounds like an index of some sort. Info please
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 10:45:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmm I've got a coffe mug full of old junk gold jewerly..and a box of silver flat wear I have picked up over the last 20years at yard sales and goodwill...May have to see what its all worth...
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 1:47:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So I managed to sell my ring today, and I don't think I got hosed.

Weighed it a couple days ago, with the scale at work and it clocked in at right about a half an ounce.  It was 14 karat gold, so I figured that worked out to just under a third of an ounce of pure gold in the ring.

Took it into West Seattle Coins this afternoon, and got $200 for it.  The fellow there said they pay 80% of 'melt cost.'  I'm not quite sure what that means, but $200 out of a possible $300 and change seemed fine with me.  I took the money and left the ring.

I was all set to watch the WAHTF EE for a 10/22.  Sadly, I then remembered I have a surety bond that's up for renewal soon.  As luck would have it, that'll cost me $200.  So a 10/22 slipped out of my fingers, but at least I don't have to scramble to find an extra $200 in the budget this month to renew the bond.

Anyway, if your looking to unload any precious metals, I'd recommend West Seattle Coins.  They were really friendly and quick, and from what little I can tell, they didn't rip me off.  They also have a mountain of bullion, so if you're looking to stock up for the end of the world they might be a good source.

Still regret not getting the 10/22 though...

Well, you have your finances  in order. I say you did well. 10/22's will be a round fr a looong time.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#9]
anyone know what to do with old teeth gold? some back to the 1800's, grandma seems to have been the keeper of the old family teeth, had a bag full of them, gave them to me a few years ago(kinda creepy)  and frankly I want them gone...I keep finding the bag and its freakin me out.

and no.....see what not in Death Hunt
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 11:27:14 AM EDT
[#10]
When I first started digging around, I noticed that a lot of the Internet-based gold buyers will take teeth.  But like some others have suggested, the Internet guys might be a trifle shady.

I meant to ask at the coin store if they took teeth, 'cause I was curious.  But I forgot to.  Sorry man.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I have seen the guys on the net....I'll pass on that, rather find a local gold tooth collector...maybe head to MLK WAY

Quoted:
When I first started digging around, I noticed that a lot of the Internet-based gold buyers will take teeth.  But like some others have suggested, the Internet guys might be a trifle shady.

I meant to ask at the coin store if they took teeth, 'cause I was curious.  But I forgot to.  Sorry man.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
anyone know what to do with old teeth gold? some back to the 1800's, grandma seems to have been the keeper of the old family teeth, had a bag full of them, gave them to me a few years ago(kinda creepy)  and frankly I want them gone...I keep finding the bag and its freakin me out.

and no.....see what not in Death Hunt

You probably could melt the gold off..  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top