Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/14/2008 8:57:43 AM EDT
What makes a good shooting glove?  

Just wondering.  Considering buying some new gloves.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 9:05:01 AM EDT
[#1]
No glove no love?
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 9:19:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Something thin that give you a good feel, think mag ejector button or saftey lever. I have some I got at a electrical supply (Platts) that are great. Bout 22 bucks a pair.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Nomex flight gloves.

Google up nomex flight gloves, you'll find a metric assload of on-line places to buy a set from.

Should be about $30 plus shipping.

Someone might know of a retailer in WA that sells them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#4]
If you cant get your hands on a nice shooting glove, then you can use an oven mit in a pinch...

What kind of jacket are you going to use?
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you cant get your hands on a nice shooting glove, then you can use an oven mit in a pinch...

I was thinking the Ove Glove.  Builtin grip, plus you'll be able to touch the barrel when you're done bumping a few mags!!!!  

Link Posted: 4/14/2008 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Go to Fred Meyers to the gardening section and you'll find a bunch of gloves.

There you'll find a series of gloves by a company called "Youngstown", meant for everything from mechanics to heavy industrial labor.

For shooting, their mechanics glove probably fits the bill, unless you're shooting an AK allot, which then you'll want to switch up to their Tradesman plus series.

A description and pic can be found at the following:

Mechanics glove:  Mechanics

Tradesman plus:  Tradesman

The reason I say upgrade for running an AK is that AK's have more sharp edges and will chew up a pair of gloves and you even, far quicker then  other guns like the AR series.

If you don't like the colors, a simple pack of Rit dye (also found at freddies or wally world, etc) and 30 minutes worth of dying will make them black.  The best part of dying is that the yellowrubber and plastic parts turn olive drab green when you use the black dye.

That's a good local source for gloves.

But, like KA3B pointed out, you cannot go wrong with military CVC (Combat vehicle crewman) or pilots nomex flight gloves.  There is a difference between the two in that CVC gloves are made for folks who drive armored vehicles and the like and the leather on the palms is thicker, whereas the flight gloves have thinner leather for more feel through the leather.  The CVC gloves (usually black leather with green nomex) will last longer, and will have less feeling, and the pilots gloves (sage leather and nomex, but can be found in several different colors these days including flat dark earth/coyote brown) are not quite as durable, but you have more use of your sense of feeling.

Link Posted: 4/14/2008 11:12:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Go to Fred Meyers

What in the hell good will a garden glove do him on the 500 yd line.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I know that my friend has some up on ebay... USGI flight gloves sive 12. I know they fit my paw very well.

I will post a link when I get home. The IT police here at work has ebay blocked
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Go to Fred Meyers

What in the hell good will a garden glove do him on the 500 yd line.

It'll help a lot!

Because if he messes up and shoots himself, he'll be pushing up daisys!!!

Link Posted: 4/14/2008 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Shooting gloves?
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 12:53:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Shooting gloves?

Goes with the shooting jock strap...
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 1:21:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Shooting gloves Fudds?
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#13]
At the risk of being 'tactic-cool', I'll say do yourself a favor and get some Hatch or Mechanix gloves. I use the Hatch Elite Duty Gloves. Once broken in they're damn near perfect, the best gloves I have ever owned. Incredible grip, feel, and protection. I can type and flip single pages in a book with them on. I use them for pretty much everything and they're holding up very well, no wear points yet.
They also make good mountainbike/dirtbike gloves.

ETA: They are NOT warm, just the opposite they're comfortable in hot weather.

ETA again: Hey GrumpM4, is it possible to dye black gloves brown?
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 1:52:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Shooting gloves?

What about the Bulletproof jock strap???

Link Posted: 4/14/2008 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Shooting gloves?

They make those?
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#16]
A real answer.

One with a leather palm, and a velcro strap to secure it on your wrist. then snip off about 1/2 the trigger finger.

I modified a mechanics glove for that purpose. Its for shooting those hard recoiling revolvers that want to make blisters.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Shooting gloves?

They make those?

YES... Ask PCR to let you try it on at LCR.  
Don't worry, he's a good shot, you can trust him.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was thinking the Ove Glove.  Builtin grip, plus you'll be able to touch the barrel when you're done bumping a few mags!!!!  

I have some Ove-Gloves... They would be HORRIBLE for shooting or anything but pulling pans from an oven.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 2:26:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have some Ove-Gloves... They would be HORRIBLE for shooting or anything but pulling pans from an oven.

Main Entry: Joke  
Pronunciation: \ˈjōk\
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin jocus; perhaps akin to Old High German gehan to say, Sanskrit yācati he asks
Date: 1670
1 a: something said or done to provoke laughter; especially : a brief oral narrative with a climactic humorous twist b (1): the humorous or ridiculous element in something (2): an instance of jesting

Link Posted: 4/14/2008 2:38:08 PM EDT
[#20]
My bad.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Wish I could remember the name, but I always just borrow my friends'
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
ETA again: Hey GrumpM4, is it possible to dye black gloves brown?

Negative.

Unless you have some way of magically removing the original dye.

You "could" try bleach, but bleach won't work on any plastic parts, and it is very damaging to leather and any fiber.   I don't even think it will work on heavy duty nylons, but you can try.  I wouldn't.

If you find a way to remove the original dye that dosn't destroy or severely weaken the gloves and takes it to a base color that is nearly white, please let me know.

Link Posted: 4/14/2008 4:27:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 4:35:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Hmmm the krylon might work, though Hatch states that chemicals can mess with the kevlar. Honestly I have no idea how all that works.

Thanks GrumpyM4, I really don't want to bleach these heh.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Why

What have I been missing all these years without a glove?
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 6:03:30 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
www.lynchs.com/images/1354.jpg

Now something like that I could live with if shes good looking.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I shoot a lot of clay targets, specifically Trap. Trap shooting happens in all kinds of weather. In the middle of winter, some kind of hand covering is pretty much necessary. Cabela's has thin leather gloves designed for shooting. So does Sportsman's Warehouse. Most of the guys that I shoot with use mechanics gloves or carpenters gloves. Available from NAPA or, the local hardware store. I got mine from the hardware store. Leather palm and fingers, artificial fiber on the back, velcro straps on the wrist.  I'm not sure how they will work on a pistol or rifle but they're great for a shotgun.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Second page already?  I knew I could count on some of you guys joking about!  

That oven mitten just might work.  
I can club people by my barrel if the varmints overrun me.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
www.lynchs.com/images/1354.jpg

I'm not standing near you in LCR...
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 7:18:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You sure about that?

Okay maybe..
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#33]
i prefer the half finger bum gloves you can find a mil surplus stores that way most of you hand is covered and you still have use of your finger tips
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 8:08:32 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You sure about that?

Okay maybe..

That's the idea... Drink until he's pretty!
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 9:21:09 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 4/14/2008 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#36]
The only gloves I have used for hunting

With the thumb and trigger fingers cut off.  If it is wet and it always is I prefer the neoprene.

Link Posted: 4/14/2008 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

With the thumb and trigger fingers cut off.  If it is wet and it always is I prefer the neoprene.

www.ecvn.com/ROOT/offerUpload/home/nanbei/images/15b7d6131d2e_nanbei.jpg

spln.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p3639600reg.jpg

Those gloves look easy to masturbate with.

Link Posted: 4/14/2008 11:18:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 11:22:56 PM EDT
[#39]
What about these Kmart gloves?

Link Posted: 4/14/2008 11:41:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Mechanix gloves are good to go.  I've got a pair that are similar, they're plain black, with 550 loops on them, definitely my favorite gloves so far.  Maybe some other army types know a brand, I think I got em issued somewhere along the way.  Nomex gloves are all right too, I'm sure you could find some cheap.  I've got a dozen new pairs sitting around, but they're all at home.  I tried hatch, and they didn't last very long for what I paid for them.  Not impressed.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 11:58:25 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Know of any good gloves made in FRONCH?
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 12:06:07 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Just missing some KY....
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 2:02:03 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
The only glove I have used for hunting
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 6:52:58 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Mechanix gloves are good to go.  I've got a pair that are similar, they're plain black, with 550 loops on them, definitely my favorite gloves so far.  Maybe some other army types know a brand, I think I got em issued somewhere along the way.  Nomex gloves are all right too, I'm sure you could find some cheap.  I've got a dozen new pairs sitting around, but they're all at home.  I tried hatch, and they didn't last very long for what I paid for them.  Not impressed.  

I was looking at Mechanix as a glove, but didn't see a plain black. They had their logo all over it. At least the one I saw at Lowes.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 8:18:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Well spending all day in the wet woods with gloves using your hands constantly isn't nearly as gay as needing to find the perfect pair(can I dye them to match my blouse?) to go shoot for an hour and a half.

Some of you people are really just too tactical for me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Well spending all day in the wet woods with gloves using your hands constantly isn't nearly as gay as needing to find the perfect pair(can I dye them to match my blouse?) to go shoot for an hour and a half.

Some of you people are really just too tactical for me.

"For those who do, no explination is necessary, for those who don't, no explination is possible."

Link Posted: 4/15/2008 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was looking at Mechanix as a glove, but didn't see a plain black. They had their logo all over it. At least the one I saw at Lowes.

You can find plain black or other colors on their website.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

"For those who do, no explination is necessary, for those who don't, no explination is possible."

You are right, you will never explain to me why color matching for shooting in a rockpit is necessary.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#49]

God, I love this place, just when I thought my day could not possibly get any better, I stumbled into this thread.

Classic.

Thank You baby Jesus.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are right, you will never explain to me why color matching for shooting in a rockpit is necessary.

Not everyone spends their time in 'rock pits', champ.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top