Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2007 1:26:30 PM EDT
My car broke down in Seattle on my way to work on my Monday, It was impounded within 6 hours, Ok I can deal with that. What is pissing me off is the fact that it took the tow company 10 days to inform me that they had my car. Then to top it all off in the notice My license can be suspended if I don't pay the outrageous tow bill. The car was impounded on Private property and not on the city streets.

How can the state hold my license for fees owed to a private company. If I was parked on the freeway or city street and had a citation Ok fine, but a parking lot that is not owned by the city or state and a private tow company.

Since when is the state the collection agent for "For Profit" Tow companies.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My car broke down in Seattle on my way to work on my Monday, It was impounded within 6 hours, Ok I can deal with that. What is pissing me off is the fact that it took the tow company 10 days to inform me that they had my car. Then to top it all off in the notice My license can be suspended if I don't pay the outrageous tow bill. The car was impounded on Private property and not on the city streets.

How can the state hold my license for fees owed to a private company. If I was parked on the freeway or city street and had a citation Ok fine, but a parking lot that is not owned by the city or state and a private tow company.

Since when is the state the collection agent for "For Profit" Tow companies.

If they tow a car, they have to notify the local PD that they did it.  Did you call the PD right away?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:58:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok the car was impounded on the 12th, they sent the notice on the 13th, I did not receive the notice until the 21st.

All is well and good with the impound, I don't dispute that. I am convinced that the postal system is broke.

What I don't get is the letter that they send with the impound notice stating that If I don't pay the fees and redeem the vehicle it will go to auction, OK so far no problem. But if the amount they get at auction doesn't pay the impound and storage fees that My license can be suspended until the fees are paid in full.

That is what I am disputing. Using the DOL to collect money for the tow company.

I can't afford to bail out the car and it's not worth fixing anyways. so they can take me to court and sue me.

BUT how can they suspend my license?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What says that your license will be suspended?

The letter he received from the tow company.  

When I get time I will tell you a story that will blow your mind.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Towing companies were going to stop impounding vehicles for the police because they were not getting paid for the impound fees even with the sale of the vehicle. Doesn't really explain why the law covers private impounds too, but it is our .gov. We get what seattle deserves.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Same bullshit happened to my dad, except he got out of it pretty easy.

His POS Chrysler died on 14 and he lost his keys right after pulling over, they went over the side of the guard rail to who knows where.. Well he calls the insurance company to have it towed, since towing is covered. The local company, CHUCKS AUTO BODY, refused to tow it since he didn't have the keys.

Well he has to leave the car and over night it is towed by who knows what. Calls the State Patrol, they know nothing about it and clearly state if it was towed by them they will know about it. He didn't know who, or really care at that point since the car had been one big headache since he bought it.

Fast foward TWO WEEKS and guess who we get a bill from? Chucks Auto Body, they claimed they towed it under direction of the State Patrol, and if he didn't pay for towing and storage they would suspend his license.

Dad disputes it and.. the State Patrol backs him up, they actually acknowledged their fuckup in the paper work, so no license suspension. The towing company still threaten to take him to small claims and he ended up just signing off the car to them.

To this day Chucks Auto Body is still run by jackasses, but that's a whole 'nother story.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#9]
If you don't go to that tow company with title in hand and sign it over to them along with working out the towing and storage fees you will end up owing a couple three thousand dollars before they are through with you. Get a receipt and a written agreement.

IM me if you want more info I will get you in contact with a friend of mine that that just sold Engals Towing out of Puyallup. He knows the ends and outs.

My wife deals with this stuff all the time and shes says you'd be better off getting it the hell out of there!

Don't screw around with this!!! You will be the one getting the short end of the stick.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you want to read about a real POS tow operator

www.timespublications.com/aug05-feature1.asp he stole a $25,000 truck by lying his ass off to it's owner and the .gov to do it.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#11]
If it's legal, it totally fucking sucks!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:46:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
To this day Chucks Auto Body is still run by jackasses, but that's a whole 'nother story.

I'll give you a +1 on that.
When my wife totaled her car Chucks towed it, the insurance company was going to take it to Seattle, Chucks refused to release it because I had not paid the tow bill, even after the insurance company said they were going to pay it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I'll back you up with the previous owner of Chuck's, who still owns the tow company, is definitely a jackass.  I've known him for way to long to ever change that opinion.

The new owners of Chuck's don't seem like too bad of people, but my only dealings with them have been to get a quote for insurance purposes.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#14]
10 years ago I sold a Nova to a gf's uncle.  I didn't send in the notice of sale to the state(Ithink there was one at the time) Fast forward 3-4 years.  I get a call form the local PD, they tell me they are going to tow my car if I don't move it from a parking lot it is parked in.  I rell them I don't own a car.  They tell me it is a 78 Nova.  I told them I sold the car at least 4 years prior and despite what I did it is still in my name.  I ask them what they want me to do, seeing how I don't own it.  They said if they tow it that I will liable for the bill.  I said fine I am on a job but, I will drop everything and go get my trailer and haul it off.  Dispatcher tells me to hold off that the lot where it is is easily seen by the apartments it is next to and usually someone will come out and claim it before it gets towed.  I called my now ex-gf's uncle to ask him WTH is going on, he tells me he had sold the car to some random Mexican for cash a year or so earlier.  I hear nothing more.
A week later I get a bill in the mail from the towing company explaining that the tow and impound is now $200 and is growing by the day.  I call and ask to talk to the owner who I somewhat know, he says bring him a $100 bill and come get it today.  I show up that afternoon and the owner is left town for a week.  I tell them about the deal he and I worked out and I need to pick it up.  No problem they said, show proof of ownership and I am on my way.  I tell them I do not own the car so no way can I do that.  They tell me they can not release the car to me without it.  So I said I don't want the car and am happy with that.  They then inform me that I will still be liable for the bill and impound fees for the next 2 weeks until the auction.  They will deduct the proceeds from the auction and I will get a bill for the difference and if i don't pay it my license will be suspended.  So I ask them WTF they want me to do?  The courthouse is directly next door to the impound lot and that I should go next door and file for a loss of title, bring back the paperwork, pay my $100 and take the car.  I said that is my only option?  Yep.
So I go to the DOL an the courthouse, commit a felony by swearing on the affidavit that I am the legal owner of the car and that I have lost the title.

I drove it home and still have it; anyone want to buy a 78 Nova with a clear title?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#15]
If they can suspend your license to make a buck they will.  I think they figure its easier for you to pay the fine and not get a license suspension then it is to take the time to fight it, so most if not all people just pay the fine.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I drove it home and still have it; anyone want to buy a 78 Nova with a clear title?

Got pictures??????
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:30:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I went down there with title in hand to see what I could do and to get my personal property out of the car.

They would only take the title if I gave them $50.00.

They let me have my stuff and I gave them the keys. and then they were happy.

I'm confused.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#18]
freaking computer double tap
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#19]
oops make that a 3 round burst
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I went down there with title in hand to see what I could do and to get my personal property out of the car.

They would only take the title if I gave them $50.00.

They let me have my stuff and I gave them the keys. and then they were happy.

I'm confused.

Is this next?

I hope they gave you some kind of paper saying that they were satisfied. If so you were probably smart doing it the way you did. I had a car stolen and the tow company (ABC in Seattle) tried like hell to get over 500 out of me. The PoPo helped me and all I had to pay was the tow fee and 1 day storage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top