Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2007 2:09:34 PM EDT
Even better when it's a surprise Didn't quite expect it today but it was cool.

I went to my spot up near Larch, at first pass it was clear and just a little rainy. No pics because I didn't feel like taking them. About 1/4 of a mile up the road the rain turned to snow Heading up a little further I encountered a county truck transporting inmates, my guess is back to the prison, but he was backing down because the snow at this point was 2-3 inches deep and slicker than snot.

The soup:

The reason I was heading up farther than the pit was Longview Fibre had been crushing rock up the road and I wanted to see if the new pit had been finished, but it still had rock in it.

So deciding the place with no snow on the ground was better I headed back down the hill.. only to curse the fact I needed to put it in 4 lo and 1st to get down as my truck's light rear end wanted to slide out in front of me whenever I even touched the brakes.

So get down the hill to clear gravel again and head up the pit to shoot my little NEF .17 HMR. As I am shooting, the rain rather quickly turns to snow and it starts sticking In about 40 minutes it went from clear to this:

Whore pic of my NEF.. I LOVE this gun.. very accurate!

On the way down, the road that once only had a small center strip of snow is now covered:

I don't think Carbine is going shooting this weekend Weather report says snow down in town....
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:24:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Good for you

I HATE SNOW!
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope it really snows tommorow, we've got a little exercise going on post where about 30 people are going to have to go through a live De-con, can you say stripped to nothingness and hosed down in the snow? What fun!
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I hope it really snows tommorow, we've got a little exercise going on post where about 30 people are going to have to go through a live De-con, can you say stripped to nothingness and hosed down in the snow? What fun!

Sure sounds like it
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:20:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You sir are a sadist!
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 4:55:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I wish we'd get some here in Vancouver......................................just rain so far.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I wish we'd get some here in Vancouver......................................just rain so far.

It's now snowing half way up Bear Prairie.....
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 5:12:21 PM EDT
[#7]
SNOW  fun to play in, hell to work in.

Was there enough visibility to make use of that scope ?
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 5:21:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Was there enough visibility to make use of that scope ?

Out to the back of the pit(maybe 100 yards from where I was shooting). For being a cheap scope it seems to work very well(Bushnell Banner 4-12x40mm). My only problem was getting snow on the lens on the shooters side(I don't know the terminology..). The other side was just fine.

On a side note, it was great fun shooting at spent shotgun shells
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 8:12:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Make sure the Butterbars get real thoroughly deconned...
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Love those NEFs, 199.00 and mine is a tack driver.... And I love snow too...
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 9:26:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like fun.

I miss living on Bear Prairie just for the snow, the drive to town sucked, but the 1-2 foot once every year or so made for mucho fun....
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 9:31:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Which one did you get? Mine was a .17 and was $109 on sale at Bi-Mart... thinking about getting a .223 but I think I will wait till I build my next AR15 Last I checked they were either $219 or $239, can't remember, but everything has gone up.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which one did you get? Mine was a .17 and was $109 on sale at Bi-Mart... thinking about getting a .223 but I think I will wait till I build my next AR15 Last I checked they were either $219 or $239, can't remember, but everything has gone up.

I have the 223 heavy barrel. It has whacked more bottles of tannerite than I can remember. Great gun for the price!!
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Looks like fun.

I miss living on Bear Prairie just for the snow, the drive to town sucked, but the 1-2 foot once every year or so made for mucho fun....

Drive to town still sucks unless it's early in the friggin morning and none of the Kommiefornians are up and driving on the road. Way to many idiots living up here.

Last years snow brought them all out... I had to go get my dad at the bottom of the hill, no way his Crown Vic was going to make it up here. I'm heading down the hill and nearly hit some little rice burner that a jackass abandoned in the middle of the road, blocking half the road

Then of course some retard calls a tow truck in.. to tow their car.. apparently they broke a  tie rod or something putting it in the ditch. Or the idiots that hit their brakes and slide around.. that's always funny till they nearly hit you I could go on and on and on..
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have the 223 heavy barrel. It has whacked more bottles of tannerite than I can remember. Great gun for the price!!

Know what the twist rate is on it?
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope. I usually bring it to LCR though if you want to check it out at the next one.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 9:53:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
nearly hit some little rice burner that a jackass abandoned in the middle of the road, blocking half the road

Then of course some retard calls a tow truck in.. to tow their car.. apparently they broke a  tie rod or something putting it in the ditch. Or the idiots that hit their brakes and slide around.. that's always funny till they nearly hit you I could go on and on and on..

I like dumbasses in front of you who think it's ok to stop halfway up the hill. They expect everyone else to not hit them, stop, then be able to start uphill again.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:27:10 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

+106
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:54:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+106

YEAH like YOU ever have to work in the snow!  Riding the quad ain't work it's fun!
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:48:59 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Guess it all depends on what you do for work.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#21]
I really like those pictures, they bring back fond memories of when I lived in Washington while stationed at the submarine base.  I spent so many weekends up in the mountains and when it snows it's so beautiful up there.  Now a days I'm stuck back here in Missouri.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Now a days I'm stuck back here in Missouri.

Missouri, kinda sounds like misery
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I really like those pictures, they bring back fond memories of when I lived in Washington while stationed at the submarine base.  I spent so many weekends up in the mountains and when it snows it's so beautiful up there.  Now a days I'm stuck back here in Missouri.

Heres some pictures from about 5minits ago. Hope you enjoy!

Driveway, plowed yesterday.

Back yard
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Where is this?
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:37:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where is this?

15miles outside of Cle Elum. Only about a few hundred feet lower then the pass. Plow in and Plow out, privite road and were the only ones that live up it.

Also you cant tell from the pictures but its actually still snowing. Light right now but its picking up. Bout time to clean off the red truck and go play, nothing like a BB 496 and posi.

Edited to add pix of it snowing
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:39:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

From the H&R website FAQ's:

14. What is the rate of twist on rifle barrels?

Varies by caliber. Please call H&R at 978-630-8220 and ask for Customer Service.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

From the H&R website FAQ's:

14. What is the rate of twist on rifle barrels?

Varies by caliber. Please call H&R at 978-630-8220 and ask for Customer Service.

Yeah because it would be too hard for them to list it

I'm going back up tomorrow to do a little more shooting and to zero with 20gr XTP's out of my .17. Seems to group a little better with them versus the 17gr VMAX load.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:53:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Dang, I may have to look into one of those NEF's in .22wmr for a cheap varmint gun.

I ended up with 2,700+ rounds of 22 mag in a deal lately and need to find something to shoot it out of.  Not bad for free...
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

30-06 for now......
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:56:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Dang, I may have to look into one of those NEF's in .22wmr for a cheap varmint gun.

I ended up with 2,700+ rounds of 22 mag in a deal lately and need to find something to shoot it out of.  Not bad for free...

I would *highly* recommend the NEF. Very well made rifle, very accurate. The cheapy scope I put on it works very well(Bushnell Banner 4-12x40mm) and holds zero after bumping around in the truck.. trigger is merely okay but it works.

Doing the math I think I could load .223 for about what I pay for .17HMR, at least if I used 55gr bullets...

You doing anything tomorrow afternoon?
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:03:23 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would *highly* recommend the NEF. Very well made rifle, very accurate. The cheapy scope I put on it works very well(Bushnell Banner 4-12x40mm) and holds zero after bumping around in the truck.. trigger is merely okay but it works.

Doing the math I think I could load .223 for about what I pay for .17HMR, at least if I used 55gr bullets...

What time?  I've got some holsters to make and need to go to the gym, but otherwise i'm free.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What time?  I've got some holsters to make and need to go to the gym, but otherwise i'm free.

From 1230 till dark, I just have classes in the morning
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:58:55 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I love the snow..

I read somewhere that you loved the cock.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:23:23 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You live by Washougal?
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:14:04 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You live by Washougal?

Something like 7.2 miles from town I can shoot in my back yard but I usually drive 10 minutes up the road to a pit
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:18:02 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You live by Washougal?

Something like 7.2 miles from town I can shoot in my back yard but I usually drive 10 minutes up the road to a pit

Is that where all the snow is?
I need to test out a couple guns. I could meet you and Steve there....
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You live by Washougal?

Is that where all the snow is?

I need to test out a couple guns. I could meet you and Steve there....

Snow is here from the bottom of the hill on up. I'd be glad to meet you in town and take you up sometime.... right now there though my guess is there's a good 8 inches of snow.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I love the snow..

I read somewhere that you loved the cock.
[
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Just got back in from riding the atvs around in the snow. I am filling the flasks back
up and we are heading back out.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:34:26 AM EDT
[#40]
No snow here in Puyallup.  Some snow flurries for a while but nothing stuck around very long.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:18:30 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Backyard:
home.comcast.net/~superchicken308/snowbottle.jpg

Snow on the cars after last night:
home.comcast.net/~superchicken308/snowcars.jpg

Fun stuff.

And just where in the F- have you been?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:38:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Focusing on school work... yeah, that's it, schoolwork. College is tough.

Post a pic of her then...
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Hey Jonathon  any place up there where I can take my kids, 5 & 10 to do some sledding?  

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Hey Jonathon  any place up there where I can take my kids, 5 & 10 to do some sledding?  

Right now not so much unless you like several inches of slush

To be honest I think the entire area is mostly forest.. and the open areas are either clear cuts with steep ravines or gravel pits, not ideal sledding conditions. Most people I know that want to go play usually head up to the Carson area, seems like I recall there being some nice spots and access is pretty good since it's actually paved.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:51:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Thank you sir
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:10:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:33:02 PM EDT
[#49]
So you love the snow....... I personally can't wait to deploy these:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top