Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2007 7:30:32 PM EDT
I've had a CPL here since early 1989, but spent most of the mean time elsewhere on active duty.

Now I'm home, and back in the classroom myself. It seems that I can legally lock up my pistol in the truck while I visit my kids' school (I'm on legitimate business, assisting in a 5th grade computer class).

My question arises from:

apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.280

....  (f) Any nonstudent at least eighteen years of age legally in possession of a firearm or dangerous weapon that is secured within an attended vehicle or concealed from view within a locked unattended vehicle while conducting legitimate business at the school;

(g) Any nonstudent at least eighteen years of age who is in lawful possession of an unloaded firearm, secured in a vehicle while conducting legitimate business at the school; or....

Would I be correct in reading that subparagraph (f) specifically addresses, and permits, any loaded firearms I might bring onto the K-12 school's parking lot, and (g) covers the same rifle/pistol/shotgun, when it's unloaded?

On a related note: Any guesses on how far WAC 132C-120-120 extends into a state college parking lot, if I happen to go to the pistol range before going to class, without driving all the way home first?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:41:27 PM EDT
[#1]
State colleges are a patchwork. Really, since they are State institutions they shouldn't be able to restrict carry. But they do. My book is buried in a stack, but I think Workman covers this in the latest revision of Washington State Gun Rights and Responsibilities.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!! Kitsap Rifle and Revolver is near the kids' school, and I might want to spend some time there after I finish the one day a week I'm there

Meanwhile, I'll look into getting ahold of a copy of Dave's book.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I always figured as long as I was picking them up when I was done volunteering:

Exception,
(e) Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, while picking up or dropping off a student;

But then I read further:

(5) Except as provided in subsection (3)(b), (c), (f), and (h) of this section, firearms are not permitted in a public or private school building.

So LEGALLY, I guess I can't volunteer in the building, but I can pick them up out front!?!  

What a twisted mess the RCW's are.  Remember, it's a CONCEALED pistol license.

Sorry for the rambling.

I'm not a real Gunny, it's just a coincidence with my last name and workplace nicknames.

Jeff
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:12:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Your questions is awkwardly worded so the answer isn't going to exactly fit.

You are correct on (g) though (f) does not address loaded firearms at all as

(e) addresses your loaded pistol carried under your CPL.....

I understand that I can't carry into the school since subparagraph (3)(e) is not excepted by paragraph(5), and I'm not dropping off or retrieving my kids, at that point in time.  I can leave the unloaded pistol locked up in the truck since I'm there on business, under (g).

Is the emphasis of (f) that the firearm has to be "concealed from view within a locked unattended vehicle "?  Other than that, why would they have two essentially redundant paragraphs?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I always figured as long as I was picking them up when I was done volunteering:

Exception,
(e) Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, while picking up or dropping off a student;

But then I read further:

(5) Except as provided in subsection (3)(b), (c), (f), and (h) of this section, firearms are not permitted in a public or private school building.

So LEGALLY, I guess I can't volunteer in the building, but I can pick them up out front!?!  

What a twisted mess the RCW's are.  Remember, it's a CONCEALED pistol license.

Sorry for the rambling.

Jeff

That must be the intent of (3)(f)! It allows for the same provisions of (3)(g), without having to rewrite (3)(g), and is addressed as an exception in (5).  Nor does it limit the protection to pistols, as noted in (3)(e).
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:47:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Haven't really looked closely at this, but I assume that (f) is in reference to loaded weapons left in a locked vehicle by a CPL holder (thus loaded in vehicle) as opposed to (g) which would cover non-CPL holders who then are legally in possession of an unloaded weapon in a vehicle.  Just a guess.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:29:22 AM EDT
[#9]
HTF do all these school shootings happen if students are not allowed to carry in the school??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top