Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2007 7:43:53 PM EDT
Saw this over on the "wa-ccw" group-forum - thought I'd solicit it here for giggles...

I found a T/C Pistol that had a rifle barrel and Choate Folding Stock.

With the stock extended and the 16" barrel, it was legal as a rifle.

With the stock folded, it was legal as a pistol.

With the stock folded, is it legal in WA? I'm pretty sure this has
never been clearly defined, so I'm inquiring for academic purposes now.

With the stock folded, it's not really a shoulder-fired weapon anymore
so I'm thinking it just may very well be legit.

Opinions?

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:02:13 PM EDT
[#1]
IBPiS  
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Saw this over on the "wa-ccw" group-forum - thought I'd solicit it here for giggles...

I found a T/C Pistol that had a rifle barrel and Choate Folding Stock.

With the stock extended and the 16" barrel, it was legal as a rifle.

With the stock folded, it was legal as a pistol.

With the stock folded, is it legal in WA? I'm pretty sure this has
never been clearly defined, so I'm inquiring for academic purposes now.

With the stock folded, it's not really a shoulder-fired weapon anymore
so I'm thinking it just may very well be legit.

Opinions?

Best of luck to him in jail....

Folded is NOT a pistol, Built ORIGINALLY as a pistol, is a pistol.  Build ORIGINALLY as a rifle is a rifle.  Stock INSTALLED on a pistol is either a rifle or an SBR (depending on Barrel length)

Letter from ATF concerning AR Pistols (covers this topic pretty well)
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Shameless post count inflater,

+1 to PCR-00,

once a pistol always a pistol, once a rifle always a rifle, and for the big one...
once a machine gun always a machine gun!

I have had 2 semi auto rifles that were recalled because ATFE had decided that I was in  possession of a "semi automatic automatic weapon" go figure.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Best of luck to him in jail....

Folded is NOT a pistol, Built ORIGINALLY as a pistol, is a pistol.  Build ORIGINALLY as a rifle is a rifle.  Stock INSTALLED on a pistol is either a rifle or an SBR (depending on Barrel length)

Letter from ATF concerning AR Pistols (covers this topic pretty well)

The Feds require that all stocks be extended before measuring OAL - so federally, this would be a rifle (built on a pistol receiver). (To measure overall length, do so along "the distance between the extreme ends of the weapon measured along a line parallel to the center line of the bore." On a folding stock weapon you measure with the stock extended, provided the stock is not readily detachable, and the weapon is meant to be fired from the shoulder.) ie, not a buffer tube

WA law doesn't clarify this, nor is there precedence that I know of, but that's the reason for asking.  Also, WA doesn't have the whole "constructive possession" statutes that I'm aware of so a collection of parts or the ability to take a buttstock isn't at issue either (see all those Lugers, HiPowers, etc... with shoulder stock tangs).

So the funny part would be, if the stock is closed, it shouldn't fall prey to "intended to be fired from the shoulder", but could qualify for "or is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand".

Or with the buttstock extended, it is a shoulder-fired weapon with a 16" bbl and 26" OAL, so its a rifle...

And United States v. Thompson-Center Arms Company (1992) resolved the "pistol can be a rifle/shotgun and back" issue, just not the other way around.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

(2) "Pistol" means any firearm with a barrel less than sixteen inches in length, or is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand.

I like this clause more - it's pretty much an open hole.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

(2) "Pistol" means any firearm with a barrel less than sixteen inches in length, or is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand.

I like this clause more - it's pretty much an open hole.  

www.swedeforums.com/images/m2Funwithrcw941.jpg

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top