Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2007 7:24:25 AM EDT

By The Associated Press

Seattle Post Intelligencer, July 17, 2007

FORT LEWIS -- The second court-martial of 1st Lt. Ehren Watada, a Fort Lewis U.S. Army officer who refused to go to Iraq with his unit a year ago, has been rescheduled to Oct. 9.

Watada's trial, originally slated to begin next Monday, was postponed at the request of government and defense lawyers. His first trial earlier this year ended in a mistrial. If convicted, Watada faces a maximum of six years in prison and a dishonorable discharge.

Watada became a lightning rod for the peace movement in June 2006 when he refused to deploy for a year to Iraq with the 3rd Stryker Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division. He said the war is illegal. He is charged with missing deployment to Iraq with his unit, and conduct unbecoming an officer for four comments he made publicly about the war in Iraq and President Bush.

After his first trial, Watada in April acquired new civilian lawyers, James Lobsenz and Kenneth Kagan of Carney Badley Spellman in Seattle. Lobsenz and Kagan are arguing that the constitutional prohibition against double jeopardy, or being tried twice for the same crimes, prevents him from being court-martialed again. The lawyers are appealing to the Army Court of Criminal Appeals.

Watada continues to work in an administrative position at Fort Lewis. The 3rd Stryker Brigade with which he refused to deploy is slated to begin returning home from Iraq just before his trial begins, after a 15-month deployment.

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:37:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Man, they sure do seem to be dragging this out. Too bad the concept of a fair and speedy trial went out the window ...

BTW, does anyone know off-hand why the last one was deemed a mis-trial? I'll do some searching if I have to.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:43:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Man, they sure do seem to be dragging this out. Too bad the concept of a fair and speedy trial went out the window ...

BTW, does anyone know off-hand why the last one was deemed a mis-trial? I'll do some searching if I have to.

Long story short, Watada signed some paperwork he did not fully understand, according to his lawyer.

Linky Thing
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:45:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

[hijack]

Stay safe.  I cringe whenever I hear a Ft. Lewis Striker solider is killed.  

[\hijack]
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:47:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Long story short, Watada signed some paperwork he did not fully understand, according to his lawyer.

Linky Thing

A college-educated Officer didn't understand paperwork he signed?

Quoted:
[hijack]

Stay safe.  I cringe whenever I hear a Ft. Lewis Striker solider is killed.  

[\hijack]

+1
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:49:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Linky Thing

Little bastard shoulda been in the Stockade all this time. Probably would have understood allot more about duty and honor.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:21:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Linky Thing

+1, he essentially signed what could be construed as a confession.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Linky Thing

Little bastard shoulda been in the Stockade all this time. Probably would have understood allot more about duty and honor.

He hasn't been convicted yet.  Until then he should be allowed the same freedom as anyone that is on bond/bail/whatever awaiting trial.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 2:49:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Linky Thing

He hasn't been convicted yet.  Until then he should be allowed the same freedom as anyone that is on bond/bail/whatever awaiting trial.

If that is the case maybe all those dude's at Gitmo should be turned loose? They haven't even been charged with anything.

They aren't American citizens, protected under our laws.
Nor are there any trial requirements for unlawful combatants (which are pretty much defined under the GC).
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 2:52:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

While that's all well and good. . .
You and I both know that there's two perceived UCMJs--one for E-6 and below, one for E-7 and above.  Had SPC Snuffy or PV2 Tent-Peg pulled the same shit, they'd be experiencing the phenomenon known as "pre-trial confinement".

While in the Navy, I saw the "Split UCMJ" concept.  I guarantee that kind of shit occurs throughout all branches.  It's bullshit.

Yeah, there's that too. They probably wouldn't have let snuffy play as many legal games either.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Linky Thing

If that is the case maybe all those dude's at Gitmo should be turned loose? They haven't even been charged with anything.

They aren't American citizens, protected under our laws.
Nor are there any trial requirements for unlawful combatants (which are pretty much defined under the GC).

Sure would be interesting to talk with some of the founding fathers about that. Too bad their stuck there rolling in the graves.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top