Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2007 3:10:46 PM EDT
I am looking for a good .22 cal target rifle for my nephew who is 11 what would you guy's suggest, probably will want to put a little scope on it for him.

Stacey
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Im all about the Ruger 10/22 carbine with wood stock.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 3:33:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

+106

Since everybody loves pictures.

5250 rounds of 22lr $103 delivered. DON"T ASK I won't tell.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 3:34:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1 and if you have BRD, you'll keep on going and going and going.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#4]
*ANY* .22 rifle will make most 11 year olds happy. My first rifle was about that age or maybe a couple years younger. It was a Marlin model 60. A friend had a single shot remington even a few years before that and it was a blast. If this is his first gun a semi-auto like the 10/22 suggestion would be awesome. Like I said though, at 11, any will be great. If I ever have kids (and it is looking doubtful) I think I'd just get them a single shot first. It seemed to help us concentrate on becoming a good shot rather than just seeing how many you can send downrange. It's probably a little easier to be safe with a single shot too when starting out. They would probably be closer to 8 years old though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:37:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everyone I will see if I can find a Ruger 10/22 around here
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

For *good* target shooting with a 10/22 you probably want to upgrade with some aftermarket parts. They are fun stock, but probably slightly lacking in the accuracy department. Be careful with magazines also. The factory seem to work best but some of the hi-caps are just not worth purchasing. There is probably a lot more info in the rimfire forum.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:38:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+106

img2.putfile.com/thumb/8/22119423593.jpg

That shit actually works in yours?

Bi-Mart has it on sale for $9.89 a box in OR that means no tax... but I could never get it to run in my 10/22 or MKIII.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:42:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+106

img2.putfile.com/thumb/8/22119423593.jpg</a>

Bi-Mart has it on sale for $9.89 a box in OR that means no tax... but I could never get it to run in my 10/22 or MKIII.

Runs in my Buckmark and the 10/22! Could be operator trouble. I mean it's not like its a XD45/40 or anything like that.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:30:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I hade trouble with it too until I swapped the extractors with VQs.  Runs great now.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:50:13 PM EDT
[#11]
It runs in my buck mark, and for some reason my Stoger Luger (The gun from hell)
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:12:59 PM EDT
[#12]
10-22 is great but for a first timer I would suggest a bolt action. The learning marksmanship thing is hard to stress enough. I had a single shot .22 at age 6 and it got dinner more times than I can count.

I also like the fact that you can use short, long and long rifle in a lot of the bolt actions.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 12:46:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
*ANY* .22 rifle will make most 11 year olds happy. My first rifle was about that age or maybe a couple years younger. It was a Marlin model 60. A friend had a single shot remington even a few years before that and it was a blast. If this is his first gun a semi-auto like the 10/22 suggestion would be awesome. Like I said though, at 11, any will be great. If I ever have kids (and it is looking doubtful) I think I'd just get them a single shot first. It seemed to help us concentrate on becoming a good shot rather than just seeing how many you can send downrange. It's probably a little easier to be safe with a single shot too when starting out. They would probably be closer to 8 years old though.

Ruger 77/22 in 22LR

30 rounds in a bolt action should be great. When he moves up to it until then stick to a 10 rd or a smaller 5rnd mag. Get a few 30's when he proves himself capable and safe. Then upgrade to a 10/22. You can reuse all of the mags in the 10/22.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 6:42:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Ruger and target rifle in the same thread.  

Link Posted: 8/11/2007 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I keep hearing about the CZ Scout .22LR any opinions?
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I dont think I would go with a semi auto for teaching target shooting...more patience involved in a bolt style gun.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I dont think I would go with a semi auto for teaching target shooting...more patience involved in a bolt style gun.  

The CZ Scout is five shot (I Think) a bolt action anyone heard of them good or bad?
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The CZ Scout is five shot (I Think) a bolt action anyone heard of them good or bad?

I've heard nothing but good about the entire CZ rimfire line, and really doubt you can go wrong if it meets your criteria.

Thanks that helps I am taking him shooting tomorrow and think I will go and get it in the morning
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 4:33:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've heard nothing but good about the entire CZ rimfire line, and really doubt you can go wrong if it meets your criteria.

Thanks that helps I am taking him shooting tomorrow and think I will go and get it in the morning

No matter what you get for him, good on you. (never a better day for any kid, than his/her first very own rifle!)

I don't know the first time you get laid is pretty good!
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I keep hearing about the CZ Scout .22LR any opinions?

I was just going to suggest that.

We have been very happy with our CZ452 Scout.  It's a single shot bolt as delivered but you can get  a five round magazine to replace the plug it comes with.  My daughters really enjoy ours.  I recommend 100%.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#24]
One more thing.  You might want to check sonny's eye dominance.  Me and one daughter are strongly left eye dominant and shoot long guns left handed so any bolt rifle is essentially a single shot for us.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 9:06:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
One more thing.  You might want to check sonny's eye dominance.  Me and one daughter are strongly left eye dominant and shoot long guns left handed so any bolt rifle is essentially a single shot for us.

I noticed they are making some of those CZ rimfire rifles in left handed versions.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For *good* target shooting with a 10/22 you probably want to upgrade with some aftermarket parts. They are fun stock, but probably slightly lacking in the accuracy department. Be careful with magazines also. The factory seem to work best but some of the hi-caps are just not worth purchasing. There is probably a lot more info in the rimfire forum.

Don't worry too much. You can always unload them on some unenlightened fool.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't worry too much. You can always unload them on some unenlightened fool.

You in the market?

I've only bought Butler Creek and have had no problems with them. I think I gave away or sold (with full disclosure) the one ram-line it came with. It was absolute junk.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Damn. I just went looking at bolt action .22s.

They are $ure proud of them.

I think I may be slding into the dark world of 10/22 mods.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 11:25:38 PM EDT
[#29]
CZ452 with a heavy barrel.  It is a rifle he will keep for a lifetime and outstanding accuracy out of the box.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:24:16 AM EDT
[#30]
All depends on the new shooter.

I started with a single shot that has to be cocked. Still have it. When in high school I used to ride my bike on the country roads to get to squirrel hunting area. Had the bolt out and never had any comments. 'back in '66 rural Tennessee.

If you start out with the 10/22, it will save an upgrade later on. Assuming of course you are training a future Arfcomer.

I replaced the barrel, stock, and some internals on my 10/22. Mounted a scope.

Amazed me that there was a market for the stock parts.

I count myself lucky, I have several Ramline 50s that I got pre ban, and they work perfect. With all the bad reviews, I wouldn't get any now.

Also my preban 25 rd hot lips work well. Are you saying that the new ones are junk?

How about the steel lips?

Sorry if this is a highjack.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#31]
I own a CZ 452 American in 22 & have shot the heavy barrel version. Super accurate & classy.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:55:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Also my preban 25 rd hot lips work well. Are you saying that the new ones are junk?

How about the steel lips?

Sorry if this is a highjack.

Who are you asking?

I have heard people complain about hot lips. I haven't heard anyone, or very few, complain about steel lips. I have only hot lips and a couple of them I bought used, and used very much, and have had zero problems.

The ONLY misfire I had with my 10/22 was a day I was out with 2WP and a couple other arfcommers at Sultan Basin and was shooting in the rain. I was just leaving my AR and 10/22 out in the rain a lot. I think one of the rounds got some moisture in it and I had a squib. Luckily I noticed the noise difference (not that there is much noise) and didn't notice hitting anything so I knew something was wrong. That night a couple taps with a cleaning rod solved that issue.

I haven't used it much since but with the price of .223 and .308 I have the feeling my 10/22 and MK II are going to start getting used much more. (Soon I'll get me a gem-tech upper for the MK II also).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top