Andrei Arlovski  Vs. Marcio Cruz  
Jason MacDonald Vs. Chris Leben  
Eric Schafer  Vs. Michael Bisping  
Tony DeSouza  Vs. Thiago Alves
Carmelo Marrero  Vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
Yushin Okami Vs. Rory Singer
Anthony Perosh Vs. Christian Wellisch

My picks in red.

I'm with you except Liddell and Leben will win.

Also I'm pulling for Rory Singer.

The other two matches I'm unsure of.  I'm not familiar with them.
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I know a bunch of us are UFC fans. Who's going to win:

Chuck Liddell Vs. Tito Ortiz
Keith Jardine Vs. Forrest Griffin

My picks in red.

Chuck over Tito (Tito is well trained, but he can't deal with Chuck's stand-up)
Forrest over Keith The Mean (but a good match, none the less)
Arlovski over Cruz (gimmie match for Arlovski to get the Heavy weight title match w/ Tim Silvia)
Leben will be upset in the UFC... Again
Bisping is insane, easy match for an Ultimate Fighter Contestant
Thiago Alves is one of the best pound for pound in UFC.
Dunno, Marrero or Gonzaga, don't care sounds like a black card fight, won't be on unless fights go short
Rory (another UF Contestant) getting another easy "make the show look good" fight
Don't care about the last, another black card fight.

Link Posted: 12/28/2006 5:17:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My picks in red.

I just don't like Leben for some reason.....that's why I didn't pick him
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 6:25:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My picks in red.

I just don't like Leben for some reason.....that's why I didn't pick him

You are not alone in your thoughts.  Quite a few people don't like him.

I'm a fan because he is a good fighter.

He has an attitude problem though.

I think most of it is due to the fact that he is a young fighter.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 2:27:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Too bad you guys aren't up north (Kooter).  I think I'm going to spring for the PPV as I always do.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#6]
What is the UFC?
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 3:18:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Ultimate Fighting Championship -- men pummeling themselves into a bloody pulp using everything except biting and eye pokes

Didn't the Gracies use to dominate this?  Did others catch up, or did it turn out that Gracie jiu-jitsu is not the best after all?
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 3:28:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ultimate Fighting Championship -- men pummeling themselves into a bloody pulp using everything except biting and eye pokes

Didn't the Gracies use to dominate this?  Did others catch up, or did it turn out that Gracie jiu-jitsu is not the best after all?

Sigh.....

Yes the Gracie's used to dominate this.

Matter of fact it's because of them that you watch the UFC today.

I would put Gracie Jiu-Jitsu against any other martial art to date.

The fighters in the UFC today are just more well rounded fighters.

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu is more about handling yourself on the ground.  It's not a stand up and beat the shit out of the other guy art.

Which is why Matt Hughes beat Royce Gracie.

If you noticed Matt Hughes almost broke Royce's arm.  Did Royce tap.  Absolutely not.  He would rather have a broken arm than tap.

He did lose the fight though when Matt Hughes started pummeling him.  Though only because the ref stopped the fight.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 12:33:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Interesting -- last I followed this was over 10 years ago, when the Gracies were beating up on much larger guys, thanks to their technique.  But once everyone has learned the same methods, a good big guy will always beat a good little guy, as in boxing...
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 2:22:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Interesting -- last I followed this was over 10 years ago, when the Gracies were beating up on much larger guys, thanks to their technique.  But once everyone has learned the same methods, a good big guy will always beat a good little guy, as in boxing...

Not true.

I call bullshit.

I know several small guys that would beg to differ with you as well.

One of them is the current Welterweight Champ of the UFC.  Who beat Matt Hughes recently.

You may have heard of him....

George St. Pierre

He's 5'9" tall and weighs 160 lbs.

He's also a Jiu-Jitsu practitioner.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I shit bigger than that.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 2:38:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Liddell over Ortiz again.  Otriz can't deal with that stand up and can't get Liddell to the ground.  If he does, Liddell ain't no Shamrock.  He'll just stand back up and wait for the big straight right.  I'd love to see that flurry from Liddell again though!
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not true.

I call bullshit.

I know several small guys that would beg to differ with you as well.

One of them is the current Welterweight Champ of the UFC.  Who beat Matt Hughes recently.

You may have heard of him....

George St. Pierre

He's also a Jiu-Jitsu practitioner.

What happened to Royce Gracie is this...  UFC Started out as anyone who wanted to bare knuckle fight could.  The only rules were "no eye poking, no fish hooking, and no biteing"  Look at the early years, you had a bar room fighter in Tank Abbott, a decorated wrestler in Dan Severn, and a ju jitsu expert in Royce Gracie.  Sure Ju Jitsu won out becuase it is about breathing, not panicing, being calm, etc.  Its about going the distance and waiting for the right time to strike.  If you could out last the punching furry of Tank Abbott anyone could take him to the ground and put him in an arm-bar.  But you better be able to survive his fists.  Severn was good on the ground but he was no submission expert.  The Gracie's brought something new.  Now EVERYONE in the UFC has SOME jit training.  The fighters are all well rounded in boxing, kick boxing, martial arts, jit, etc...  it's like hockey, the guy that invented the "slap shot" had a distinct advantage for a few years, but over time everyone else has figured out how to do it.  Now everyone in the league has that skill, some may do it a little better, but anyone can do it...

Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Son of a motherless goat.... I had them all except Forrest.. That rat bastard!  :)
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 12:41:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 1:53:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not true.

Well, I thought that was the old adage in boxing, and seems to carry over naturally -- maybe not always, but at least on average.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#18]
w00t!!

Leben got his ass kicked

I knew Jardine was good, but I didn't think he'd be able to get Forrest.

Ortiz is a dumbass. I figured he would have found a way to get Liddell down. It was the same as the first fight, he is an asshat trying to stand with Chuck
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 12:08:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
w00t!!

Leben got his ass kicked

I knew Jardine was good, but I didn't think he'd be able to get Forrest.

Ortiz is a dumbass. I figured he would have found a way to get Liddell down. It was the same as the first fight, he is an asshat trying to stand with Chuck

I wouldn't say he got his ass kicked.

He did lose though.

He fell victim to a choke that he should have never been in.

I too, was impressed with Jardine last night.

And Tito, welll maybe he'll get it right during the third match.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#20]
For a guy that trains in elevation and has great cardio, Tito looked seriously winded last night. He was haning by a thread by late in the 1st round...

I really like MacDonald.  I remember his first fight and he was an upsetter.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Ortiz looked like shit.  He was trying to shoot for a takedown from about 10 meters away!  He should have faked the takedown and came in with a flying knee or superman punch.  LIddell was keeping his hands at his sides with absolutely no respect for Ortiz.

Jackson or Crocop will wipe this division. I think the best chance to whip Liddell's ass right now falls with Vera.  Time will tell.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Ortiz looked like shit.  He was trying to shoot for a takedown from about 10 meters away!  He should have faked the takedown and came in with a flying knee or superman punch.  LIddell was keeping his hands at his sides with absolutely no respect for Ortiz.

Jackson or Crocop will wipe this division. I think the best chance to whip Liddell's ass right now falls with Vera.  Time will tell.

Oh yeah!

I can't wait till Cro Cop and Jackson get there.

Big Tim Silvia is going to find out the hard way what getting knocked the fuck out feels like.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 1:46:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I'll agree with that.  I want to see Vera get tested.  He's be dominating, but I wonder how his chin is.  Can he take a Liddell hit and keep going??

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#24]
All I know is if this guy ever shows up, the UFC will never be the same.

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
All I know is if this guy ever shows up, the UFC will never be the same.

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/57/Fedor01a.jpg/200px-Fedor01a.jpg

FEDOR!!!!!

Rampage has already beat Liddell once. Think it will happen again?
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:26:32 PM EDT
[#26]
They have some good Fedor fights on youtube.  I liked the one where he bitch slapped that guy that was almost 400lbs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top