Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2006 8:12:44 PM EDT
Okay, after some dumb-ass put "Rifle Drills" on the PT calendar for yesterday, and the same dumb-ass led those rifle drills until the 19 year olds were wimpering, I woke up this morning barley able to move (did I mention I'm the dumb-ass?). So that got me thinking, how old is Old? Since there's a wide range of ages here on Arfcom, how old were you when you knew you were Old? Not just getting a little sore from doing stuff you used to be able to bounce back from, but really knew you were past your prime.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 8:21:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Hard to say, for your liine of work where you are working with 19 year olds, well. I probably couldn't keep up. But then I am 52. But I could probably out walk most of them with pack and rifle up a 35 degree slope. As I did this last deer season. If you don't bounce back after a good high protien meal and a nights rest, well...  Knowing your limits comes with age. For your safety and for others error on the safe side. For me most injuries occur when I go beyond my limits.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 9:49:22 PM EDT
[#2]
The day I realized I was getting old, was the day I opened to the centerfold and she was younger than I was
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 10:44:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a slow learner. My body is AFU but I don't feel old.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 11:04:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I never expected to live past 21 and felt very old then, i know it is a cliche but if i knew i would live to be a pentagenarian i would have taken better care.

A fast bright burn is better than a long slow burn.

Link Posted: 10/25/2006 11:14:09 PM EDT
[#5]
^^^^ Holy crap... I knew you were old, but DAMN!  
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 11:17:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
^^^^ Holy crap... I knew you were old, but DAMN!  

Glad you caught that, been studying the dead sea scrolls and the septuagint and had septa on my mind when I meant penta.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 11:24:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Found this on Wiki...

Ages can also be divided by decade:

* Vicenarian: someone between 20 and 29 years of age
   * Tricenarian: someone between 30 and 39 years of age
   * Quadragenarian: someone between 40 and 49 years of age
   * Quinquagenarian: someone between 50 and 59 years of age
   * Sexagenarian: someone between 60 and 69 years of age
   * Septuagenarian: someone between 70 and 79 years of age
   * Octogenarian: someone between 80 and 89 years of age
   * Nonagenarian: someone between 90 and 99 years of age
   * Centenarian: someone between 100 and 109 years of age
   * Supercentenarian: someone over 110 years of age

BTW, did you know the sum of the angles of a pentagon is 540 degrees?
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 11:37:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Found this on Wiki...

?

That is a latin based number system, the ruling Romans did not speak latin for legislative purposes they spoke the international language of Greek, latin is a badly bastardized greek language.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 11:44:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I never expected to live past 21 and felt very old then, i know it is a cliche but if i knew i would live to be a pentagenarian i would have taken better care.
A fast bright burn is better than a long slow burn.

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly, Roy."
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Okay, after some dumb-ass put "Rifle Drills" on the PT calendar for yesterday, and the same dumb-ass led those rifle drills until the 19 year olds were wimpering, I woke up this morning barley able to move (did I mention I'm the dumb-ass?). So that got me thinking, how old is Old? Since there's a wide range of ages here on Arfcom, how old were you when you knew you were Old? Not just getting a little sore from doing stuff you used to be able to bounce back from, but really knew you were past your prime.

Im not quite there yet, but Im old for my job.  Im bout to be 29, and the average age around me is 20.  I feel fine for the most part, but I just cant quite PT like I used to.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#11]
You can tell when you're getting "old",,

,cuz yer memory is the second thing to go,,

Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:08:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Found this on Wiki...

?

That is a latin based number system, the ruling Romans did not speak latin for legislative purposes they spoke the international language of Greek, latin is a badly bastardized greek language.

Actually... Latin is a different language than Greek.   It took some Greek words the same way the anglo-saxon language also took Latin and Greek, etc.    Even though Rome was the US of its time (actually bigger, and its empire lasted longer than the American will) it "absorbed" several Greek culture aspects such as language, mythology, etc.

Anyway... back to the original theme:  age is really relative.  I know several folks at 50 that can beat the crap out of some 19s.    Despite being (very) out of shape I do not feel my age (most of the times).   By the way... I'm still below the 50s.  

After I met my wife's grandma, who is 105, and in excellent shape for her age I do not feel that age is relevant anylonger.

Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#13]
your old when you ask a silly question like this one...
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Ooooh, we did rifle PT once, the COs idea, so he led it, and boy did he screw it up--all kinds of home-made posters floated around the barracks for months.  "A five-count exercise...or is it four...?"

I realized I was "getting old" a few years ago, when I attempted to draw the compound bow Mrs. Drang gave me for Christmas several years before that, and the shoulder felt like someone was driving a hot poker into it--and it's obvious now, at 48, what with pain at every step, knee and hip...

Link Posted: 10/26/2006 10:42:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I got old when the cute little brunette at the New Westminster 7-11 on 12th Street called me "Sir".

Link Posted: 10/26/2006 11:01:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Well I guess I am old too, but I am fighting in the seniors class open (over 36) matches MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) in the 180 lb class and hope to have a trophy pic soon, so I guess I'm sorta old, yet sorta not, my lil teenage nephews fear me, I think.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:31:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Felt real old when I went to pick up my buddy from a Bar in the U-district. Very nice young blonde college girl pulls up next to me at a red light and barely even glances in my direction............and I'm pretty sure that glance was just to confirm her initial assumption that I'm not worth her time.  (yeah and the whole time I'm thinking, Damn I'd tap it a couple times!)
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:28:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Felt real old when I went to pick up my buddy from a Bar in the U-district. Very nice young blonde college girl pulls up next to me at a red light and barely even glances in my direction............and I'm pretty sure that glance was just to confirm her initial assumption that I'm not worth her time.  (yeah and the whole time I'm thinking, Damn I'd tap it a couple three times!)

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, after not being able to sleep on my left side since that little PT episode, went to the DR yesterday...... Torn Rotator Cuff. Now I know I'm really frickin old. So no uperbody stuff for the rest of the year, and possibly surgery. Fun, Fun, Fun!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:26:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a cup holder my Grandaughter got me.

Over What Hill?
Where? When?
I don't remember any hill.

Your old when you stop remembering.....................what was I talking about?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:03:28 PM EDT
[#21]
old is when you sit on the crapper and your nuts hit the water.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:29:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Well, after not being able to sleep on my left side since that little PT episode, went to the DR yesterday...... Torn Rotator Cuff. Now I know I'm really frickin old. So no uperbody stuff for the rest of the year, and possibly surgery. Fun, Fun, Fun!

Just remember, a service-related disability adds to your retirement bennies...
...buy not a lot, not anymore.  

And the VA may tell you there's nothing wrong with you...
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#23]
If ya have to ask, you're too old....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top