Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2006 10:36:47 AM EDT
Okay, this one is for you computer geeks experts out there. I have two towers, one monitor, keyboard, mouse etc. Can I hook them together (is that called network?) so I can access both from the same station? My X-box defeats me so take it real easy on me, please. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:38:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes you can.

Do you wish to access them with the same keyboard, mouse and monitor? If so they make something called a KVM that will do the trick.

If you want to share files between them then yes you will need to network them as well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:00:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I guess I would want to network them together, the tower I use now has a better processor, but the other computer has different drives and more usb ports, would it be easier to pull parts from one to put them together as one, or to hook them together?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Network them togther, get a USB KVM switch and your good to go!
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#4]
It really depends on how you use the systems.

Do you only use one for certain things?

Do you use one more than the other?

If moving hardware is an option then that is what I would do.  You can move the hardware you want into the faster box, provided there is room and be done with it.

As far as the data goes you can always take the hard drive from the other box and make it a slave and copy the files you need to your current hard drive.

I know it sounds like quite a bit of work but it's actually pretty easy to do.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:12:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
As far as the data goes you can always take the hard drive from the other box and make it a slave and copy the files you need to your current hard drive.

I know it sounds like quite a bit of work but it's actually pretty easy to do.

HOw would I slave one hard drive to another?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Okay, got most everything replaced, how do I make my old hard-drive a slave? I don't have any documentation for it, just what it says on the case (make and model stuff)
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Ummm.....

Look up from here.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top