Posted: 8/22/2006 8:53:27 AM EDT

seattle.fbi.gov/dojpressrel/2006/pr081406.htm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
United States Attorney
Western District of Washington

August 14, 2006

RAYMOND MAN PLEADS GUILTY IN CONNECTION WITH INTERNET PIRACY SCHEME

Downloaded pirated copies of movies, video games and software

RYAN PORTER, 31, of Raymond, Washington pleaded guilty today in U.S. District Court in Seattle to Criminal Copyright Infringement by Electronic Means, and Aiding an Abetting. PORTER is the 33rd person to plead guilty in connection with “Operation Copycat,” an undercover investigation targeting online “warez” groups illegally distributing newly-released movies, games, software and music. “Warez groups” are the “first-providers” of copyrighted works to the warez underground - the so-called “release” groups that operate as the original sources for a majority of the pirated works distributed and downloaded via the Internet. PORTER faces up to three years in prison and a $250,000 fine when sentenced on November 17, 2006 by U.S. District Judge Marsha J. Pechman.

Since July 14, 2005, thirty-seven people have been charged and thirty-three people (including two film critics) have pleaded guilty in connection with the undercover investigation of the “warez” groups. Once a warez release group prepares a stolen work for distribution, the material is distributed in minutes to secure, top-level warez servers throughout the world. From there the pirated works are distributed globally within a matter of hours, filtering down to peer-to-peer and other public file sharing networks accessible to anyone with Internet access. In court documents PORTER admits downloading sixty-eight copyrighted works including Star Wars movies, Microsoft and McAfee Software, and video games such as Medal of Honor and Grand Theft Auto. In court today PORTER said he downloaded the materials for his personal use.

PORTER was originally charged in the Northern District of California as part of a continuing FBI investigation known locally as Operation Copycat, which involved the execution of more than 40 searches nationwide on June 29, 2005. Operation Copycat is the local and largest part of the coordinated international law enforcement action known as Operation Site Down, which is targeting online piracy. Mark L. Krotoski is the Assistant U.S. Attorney who is prosecuting the case in California. PORTER’s case was transferred to the Western District of Washington where Assistant United States Attorney Kathryn Warma is handling the prosecution.

Those "Warez" people are bad people.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 9:00:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Must've been a California export.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 9:08:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Those California exports are bad people too..

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:51:55 PM EDT
[#3]
So, what Scene Release group was he part of?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I dunno, it's been litterally YEARS since I was involved in that stuff knew a guy that did that stuff
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*ahem*

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dunno, it's been litterally YEARS since I was involved in that stuff knew a guy that did that stuff

I'd almost put money on the distrobution method being Bit Torrent... part of the reason private trackers are springing up now is anyone can get on a torrent and immediately see who's seeding it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

*ahem*

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd almost put money on the distrobution method being Bit Torrent... part of the reason private trackers are springing up now is anyone can get on a torrent and immediately see who's seeding it.

The guy I knew was strictly IRC Bots
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:16:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

*ahem*

Quoted:

Quoted:

I knew a guy once.....

His name was [LW]Flowbie and he was an IRC-Op on irc.l33t-irc.net

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

*ahem*

Quoted:

Quoted:

I knew a guy once.....

His name was [LW]Flowbie and he was an IRC-Op on irc.l33t-irc.net

Yea, he worked with a guy that went by the name [LW]NastyOp

ETA: I'm pretty sure they both worked with a guy that went by MrSparkle [LW]Stinkfinger
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top