Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 4:20:48 AM EDT
AK-47.  

At the last shoot I was at someone had shown me their homebuilt AK.  I was just wondering what you used.  Or...anybody else?

I guess if worst comes to worst I can put a top coat high temp ceramic paint on it.  I'll use the ole "it was my first build" as an excuse.

-Rob
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:00:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Moly Resin™

Spray it on with an air brush and then bake in oven
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:13:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Moly Resin is a tough finish. We Duracoat over it for a little bling.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:18:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I take it you don't have a wife.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:19:39 AM EDT
[#4]
by the way....

thanks for the info
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:53:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I did this A2 with Norrells moly resin in OD flat.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I traded some work on a 1911 that cost me $7.00 total for a profesional beadblast and blue job.

prior to that is was a very bad job with a what I think was a Krylon, done by the previous owner..
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/Brian_in_Pullman/Guns/DSCF0150.jpg

I take it you don't have a wife.  

No wife, and an apartment oven, but to be honest if I owned the oven I still would have done it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I traded some work on a 1911 that cost me $7.00 total for a profesional beadblast and blue job.

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/mackusmc/e-bay015.jpg

prior to that is was a very bad job with a what I think was a Krylon, done by the previous owner..

I've shot that rifle....A very nice AK indeed.

As far as a finish, I'll file a range report once I've tried the Home Remedy Parkerizing method.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Can someone post some pics of home duracoat jobs?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:01:10 PM EDT
[#10]
The jig I built for the receiver bends spot on...but something is funky -  by how much I don't know exactly.  When I try and cycle the firearm it cycles 6 rounds out of the magazine with fair ease.  If it's any more than that it has a tendency to only get about 1/2 of the round in the chamber and the bolt + carrier stop midway over the magazine. When it's JUST the magazine (no rounds) it rides along the receiver rails flawlessly. But not with the loaded magazine - I'm no rocket scientist here, but that suggests to me that the rails are not permitting the bolt + carrier enough room.

So it looks like I won't have a functioning Ak variant this weekend

Not to turn this into a whole 'nother topic.  But I know we have local builds every now and again on here....did you fellas build your own jigs or buy prebuilt ones?

This upcoming LCR April 7-9....Someone should bring their jig for me just in case I don't have it built by then *HINT*

-Rob
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:57:14 PM EDT
[#11]
If it's a tapco flat and you aligned the rials with the holes for the center support check the alignment of the lower right rail, if your bolt is hitting on the left upper trunnion guide it'll keep it from going all the way into battery, you can adjust it by raising the lower right rail.
To adjust it you can use a piece of rod or somesuch and a hammer to gently tap it thru the magwell.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:40:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If it's a tapco flat and you aligned the rials with the holes for the center support check the alignment of the lower right rail, if your bolt is hitting on the left upper trunnion guide it'll keep it from going all the way into battery, you can adjust it by raising the lower right rail.
To adjust it you can use a piece of rod or somesuch and a hammer to gently tap it thru the magwell.

It did this at first but it was corrected.   It'll just clear the upper left guide and then it just stops. Hm.

It was a tapco flat.  Are there other things common to Tapco flats that I should check out?

-Rob
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:53:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It did this at first but it was corrected.   It'll just clear the upper left guide and then it just stops. Hm.

It was a tapco flat.  Are there other things common to Tapco flats that I should check out?

-Rob

More than the flat, it's the jig, but you'll do much better asking tech questions in the BIY forum -
Linky to BIY

There's more than a few of those guys in there that have it NAILED.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:33:39 AM EDT
[#14]
yeah about 24 hrs have past since I asked for info and I have yet to receive a single response.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#15]
You need to give em a bit more info in order for the guys in there  to help.
Also, if you can take some pictures and post some measurements of your rail widths and spacing.
Try taking the bolt out and see if it slides freely, try taking the hammer out and do the same, try sliding a round into the chamber by hand to see if there's any resistance.
Check the bolt carrier for any signs it might be binding in the gas tube.
You really need to figure out where it's binding before a correction can be suggested.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok sparky here is your problem. your rails are a little too narrow to hold the bolt in its correct position and the upward pressure from the rounds might be making the left locking lug slam into the top of its opening on the trunnion. the simple solution is to take that locking lug and the area where it impacts the trunnion and file them a tad so they cannot make contact but rather slide off one another.

Another problem you might check for is the rails might be too tight. every little bit of friction on that bolt adds to the problem and when it meets the ammunition and loses its inertia. These not the problems?

next check your ejector where it slides down the bolt. If the bolt is not worn in of you have not taken enough off of it there may be excess friction.

Before all this though make sure your magazine is not a piece of shit. If the bolt is not rotating all the way then the locking lugs will slam into the rear of the mag causing no end of jamming.

I know this because my first 4 builds were on out of spec flats from Tapco.

GOOD LUCK! IM me if you have any more questions
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Ok sparky here is your problem. your rails are a little too narrow to hold the bolt in its correct position and the upward pressure from the rounds might be making the left locking lug slam into the top of its opening on the trunnion. the simple solution is to take that locking lug and the area where it impacts the trunnion and file them a tad so they cannot make contact but rather slide off one another.

Another problem you might check for is the rails might be too tight. every little bit of friction on that bolt adds to the problem and when it meets the ammunition and loses its inertia. These not the problems?

next check your ejector where it slides down the bolt. If the bolt is not worn in of you have not taken enough off of it there may be excess friction.

Before all this though make sure your magazine is not a piece of shit. If the bolt is not rotating all the way then the locking lugs will slam into the rear of the mag causing no end of jamming.

I know this because my first 4 builds were on out of spec flats from Tapco.

GOOD LUCK! IM me if you have any more questions

my man! thank you.  TAPCO FLATS OUT OF SPEC...Thats not surprising.

Alright when I find some time I'm going to check all of these things. Thanks for the info!

-Rob
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:13:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Moly Resin™

What no picture of today’s batch?  Mine are about ready to come out of the oven.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Moly Resin™

img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/Brian_in_Pullman/Guns/DSCF0150.jpg

What no picture of today’s batch?  Mine are about ready to come out of the oven.

Careful, I may take your lower hostage.  The ransome will be [Dr. Evil] One Million Dollars! [/Dr. Evil].   I did take the barrel out, it was still really hot.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I did this A2 with Norrells moly resin in OD flat.
i6.photobucket.com/albums/y206/MOGWAR/DSCN2756.jpg

That came out looking pretty darn good. How did you do it? How much did it cost and where can I get it done?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top