Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2006 1:33:13 PM EDT
Has anyone recently gotten a new Oregon Concealed Handgun License?
My research indicates that the counties adjacent to WA require that you be a resident of a county adjacent to OR, and the others... either do not issue to non-residents or require proof of "compelling need to carry in that county."
Next time some Oregano boasts of being able to carry in a bar in OR, I'm going to point out that least we trust them to carry in our state...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My research indicates that the counties adjacent to WA require that you be a resident of a county adjacent to OR, and the others... either do not issue to non-residents or require proof of "compelling need to carry in that county."
Next time some Oregano boasts of being able to carry in a bar in OR, I'm going to point out that least we trust them to carry in our state...

I can carry in a bar in OR

Oh, and my OR CHL is not valid in WA ... not sure what you meant by the last sentence.

Of coures, I got my OR CHL a few years ago as a resident.  Don't know how the non-resident permits work.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can carry in a bar in OR

Oh, and my OR CHL is not valid in WA ... not sure what you meant by the last sentence.

Of coures, I got my OR CHL a few years ago as a resident.  Don't know how the non-resident permits work.

OR is shall issue for residents and may issue for non-residents of a contiguous state who have a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need.

WA is shall issue for residents and non-residents.  There's no double standard for a WA CPL, unlike ORs CHL.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#3]
When looking into this myself I found that there exist a few counties in OR that issue fairly regularly to WA residents without much hassle.  Most however refuse to issue.

One of these days soon I'm going to drive down there and find a county that will issue me a license since I go down there all the time for steel.

-Rob
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:46:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I have heard horror stories about Multnomah County. Personally no issues for me but I was a renewal.

You can download the application online. You will need a letter from the WA State Mental Health Board saying you having haven't(OOPS!!!) been treated. This contact info is on the application instuctions. It helps greatly if you work in state and or can get letterhead that states as such from your employer. You also need to include a letter stating why you want the permit. Don't call and ask them questions at the regular office number. I repeat don't call and ask them questions at the regular office number. They don't know typically that you can even get a out of state permit, or they were inscructed to say that so you give up easy. Thursdays are permit day there so you have to be there in person and last time I was there maybe all of 15 minutes. Two weeks later permit in hand....

I hear some of the other couties are more friendly like Clatsop, Columbia, and Washinton, but like I said I had no issues.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have heard horror stories about Multnomah County. Personally no issues for me but I was a renewal.

You can download the application online. You will need a letter from the WA State Mental Health Board saying you having been treated. This contact info is on the application instuctions. It helps greatly if you work in state and or can get letterhead that states as such from your employer. You also need to include a letter stating why you want the permit. Don't call and ask them questions at the regular office number. I repeat don't call and ask them questions at the regular office number. They don't know typically that you can even get a out of state permit, or they were inscructed to say that so you give up easy. Thursdays are permit day there so you have to be there in person and last time I was there maybe all of 15 minutes. Two weeks later permit in hand....

I hear some of the other couties are more friendly like Clatsop, Columbia, and Washinton, but like I said I had no issues.

Can I just bring my straitjacket?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Me too.  You left out the letter to the Sherriff explaining why you want to carry in Multnomah County.

Clatsop has only issed to residents of adjacent WA counties  since 2004. http://www.co.clatsop.or.us/default.asp?pageid=168&deptid=5  Which blows, as we're going to Astoria next week...  
No sure data on Columbia or Washington--yet.

ETA:  Washington county's website sez you must be a resident of Washington County...
Columbia County's website says absolutely NOTHING on the subject!  Jeeze, I gotta make phone calls...
I hope they take NRA Instructor credentials as proof of NRA Firearm Safety training...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
When looking into this myself I found that there exist a few counties in OR that issue fairly regularly to WA residents without much hassle.  Most however refuse to issue.

One of these days soon I'm going to drive down there and find a county that will issue me a license since I go down there all the time for steel.-Rob

Let us all know when you find one that will freely issue to WA residents.  
LSW has family in Salem, but MArion county says that, since there are no other states adjacent to Marion County, they decline to issue toi non-residents.*

*OR state law authorizes issue of a Concealed Handgun License to residents of "adjacent" states, i.e. WA, ID, CA, and NV.  (NV?  Is Nevada adjacent o Oregon?  Yeah, I guess it is. Anyway...)  This is why Clatsop, formerly renowned  for freely issuing to Washingtonians, now says only resident of Pacific, Grays Harbor, and Wahkiakum counties qualify.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Will they accept a PO box??
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Will they accept a PO box??

Considering how many of the web sites say they want to see an Oregon Drivers License indicating that your primary resdience in in the couny, no.

The Oregon Firearms Federation says

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/faq/
If you are an Oregon resident and meet the statutory requirements for a concealed handgun license, the sheriff must, in most cases, issue a license.
However, if you are not a resident the sheriffs have total discretion to approve or deny.
The law also requires that you have a "compelling business interest" in Oregon.
In other words, if you're not sleeping with the sheriff, forget it.
However, any county can issue the license, so your friend might well be successful by applying in a county not totally controlled by anti-rights radicals.
May I suggest starting in Douglas County.

Buncha commies...

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:18:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I was thinking a PO Box to get you to a neighboring county....Like possible renting in the area for work blah blah blah....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top