BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/3/2006 4:09:11 PM EDT
Something is rotten in the state of Denmark... err, Bremerton

Quoted:
HOLY SHNIKIES...

My county sheriff department sent me to my city police...  My local police say $60/5yrs and my wait is 30 business days (6 weeks) minimum to get my permit (If it comes back to them sooner, I still wait until 6 weeks is up).  WTF are they doing down in olympia or do they just have arse hole commanders?  And of course, they are only open til 4pm so I get to take time off of work to get it.

Quoted:
Where is this at? The thirty business days statement is bullshit. The RCW clearly state with thirty days. 30 business days is clearly not within thirty days.  

RCW 9.41.070
Concealed pistol license — Application — Fee — Renewal.

(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.

Quoted:
Bremerton Police Department  ~~  Records  (360) 473-5226

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:10:56 PM EDT
[#1]
30 days or less is common.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:15:21 PM EDT
[#2]
^^^  Sure... But 6 weeks, Gibby? minimum?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll just duplicate myself (triplicate if you count the IM)  

Interesting that they are saying 30 business days.

I'd say that you have some "arse holes" working there.

The relevent RCW says nothing about business days, and this is the first I've heard of a department using them.

(edited for applicable information)
RCW 9.41.070
Concealed pistol license -- Application -- Fee -- Renewal.

(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.

Care to ask them where they got the business day requirement from?
(11) A political subdivision of the state shall not modify the requirements of this section or chapter, nor may a political subdivision ask the applicant to voluntarily submit any information not required by this section.

I live in the city, and have always applied and renewed with the county sheriff

13) A person may apply for a concealed pistol license:

(a) To the municipality or to the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in a municipality;

(b) To the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in an unincorporated area; or

(c) Anywhere in the state if the applicant is a nonresident.

Now, if you want to argue it with them, you could proceed with asking where in the RCWs they determined the maximum waiting period to be 30 (or 60) business days. Absent a statutory definition, words in a statute are to be given their ordinary meaning: Davis v. Department of Empl. Sec., 108 Wn.2d 272, 737 P.2d 1262 (1987), and RCW 9.41.010 (Terms defined) does not supply a statutory definition for days, although RCW 9.41.090 (Dealer deliveries regulated) does include a definition of business days "c) Five business days, meaning days on which state offices are open.." it alos includes the clarification that the wait is business days, not merely days which of course tells us that when they wanted the RCW to mean business days the wrote it as business days.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:32:18 PM EDT
[#4]
My first one took less than 3 days, the second one took less than a week, and my renewal took 7 days.

Perhaps the Bremerton COP is fuckered up.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My first one took less than 3 days, the second one took less than a week, and my renewal took 7 days.

Perhaps the Bremerton COP is fuckered up.

The most likely explanation for making an "innocent mistake" is combining and confusing the days in RCW 9.41.070 with the business days(as defined) in RCW 9.41.090.

The RCWs are clear and unambiguous as to the time frame for issuing CPLs, but perhaps someone at the Bremerton PD needs a little clarification of the details.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I dont think Im trying to get hostile about it...  but I will bring it up on Monday when I take in my paper work and $60 to file.  I knew that it sounded way to long.  I asked her if there was any way to speed the process up and the lady said No.  And if there are any holidays, those do not count toward the 30 days... yet again confirming the business days thing...  I think Im to nice of a guy to  really make a stink about it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#7]
There are polite ways to make sure that they are following the rules without making a stink.

Let me know what they say on Monday, take a copy of the RCWs with you if you can, and if you get the same business day answers there might be some phone calling action happening. I know a certain journalist who likes to rattle cages.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:28:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank ya for the info, Phil & XD_Fan.  okie... I printed the RCW out and highlighted the points you marked in red so I can take them with my completed application on Monday.  Lets just see what happens.  I'll post the results.

I'm back to thinking I will purchase the pistol in question while waiting for the licence to get approved.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I went in for mine last week and was told that it would be about 30 days. This was through the City of Monroe. I was told from R32 that if I went to the county courthouse it would take about 3 days.
fwiw. EOP
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:05:39 PM EDT
[#10]
AoO went through the sheriff in everett, a day and a half later it was in the mail box.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:22:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Same Everett/Snoho Sheriff story here. Applied 4:55 Monday afternoon and was packin' Thursday  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Ditto...I came from out of state and had visions of not being able to carry for a month. I applied Wed and had the permit in Sat. mail. Im in Sno Co. I really appreciated their quick turn around. The clerk who took my app ran a background check while I was there and I think that the only bit left was to get the sheriffs sign-off...she mentioned that I had a 'very clean background'. So, not to worry...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I went in for mine last week and was told that it would be about 30 days. This was through the City of Monroe. I was told from R32 that if I went to the county courthouse it would take about 3 days.
fwiw. EOP

I already talked to the Sheriff's Records department for Kitsap Co in Port Orchard...  They said I cannot apply there.  Only possible to apply at my cities PD because I live inside the city limits.  Guessing the city wants their cut of the money.

I'm glad to hear of a lot of good experiences.  Hoping the secretary just didn't know better.

AssaultPossum:  Sounds like they did not wait to get results back from your finger prints?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Odd, I live in Seattle city limits and I have always gone through King County Sheriff for mine. I am told that SPD is 30 days no matter what. It's never taken less than about 2 1/2 weeks to mine back through KCS.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Odd, I live in Seattle city limits and I have always gone through King County Sheriff for mine. I am told that SPD is 30 days no matter what. It's never taken less than about 2 1/2 weeks to mine back through KCS.

That was my experience.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

That's because SPD sits on them for the full 30 days allowed before giving it to you.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:03:30 PM EDT
[#17]
also went thru SCSO,  had the original permit about 9 days later, had to renew it recently, the dang thing almost beat me home!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:15:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
There are polite ways to make sure that they are following the rules without making a stink.

Let me know what they say on Monday, take a copy of the RCWs with you if you can, and if you get the same business day answers there might be some phone calling action happening. I know a certain journalist who likes to rattle cages.radio talk show host, and folks that have his direct e-mail and phone number

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:03:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

(a) To the municipality or to the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in a municipality;

Interesting... I've been thinking about getting a CPL for a while.   I thought I had to go to Snohomish's administration center in Everett to apply.   If I understood right, per above I can just go to the police station in my city if I live in the incorporated area?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:27:25 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting... I've been thinking about getting a CPL for a while.   I thought I had to go to Snohomish's administration center in Everett to apply.   If I understood right, per above I can just go to the police station in my city if I live in the incorporated area?

If you live in the city limits, you will goto your local police station, if you live in the county, or your city police are really County contract, you will goto 4th floor of the county courthouse...I forgot what days they do CPL's but I bet Gibby could get you the info in a matter of min's.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:38:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you live in the city limits, you will goto your local police station, if you live in the county, or your city police are really County contract, you will goto 4th floor of the county courthouse...I forgot what days they do CPL's but I bet Gibby could get you the info in a matter of min's.

I sure there are a few members here who just might have MrsGibby's signature on  their CPLs.

Rune - Your local LEO is either short staffed or anti CPL.  For the most part it takes a very short amount of time.  

Mine is up for renewal this year.  I remember when I renewed it last time.  I had asked the clerk if my wife can sign it.  She was like "Ah....NO!  Only LEO personnal can sign it!"    I replied, excuse me but my wife is like MrsGibby.  in which she replied "You want it mailed or for her to bring it home to you?"  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:06:52 AM EDT
[#22]
would you just get off your ass and go get your permit!?!?!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:35:42 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
AssaultPossum:  Sounds like they did not wait to get results back from your finger prints?

No, Im sure they didnt. I think each jurisdiction must have its own SOP (read latitude) for issuing permits. From what Ive read Sno Co is very quick about turning around requests. As a permit holder I very much appreciate the sheriffs 'get it issued' attitude. OTOH my VA permit took almost the entire 'waiting' period. What got them off the mark was an email from me asking how to apply for my temp permit...VA law says that if the permit isnt issued/denied in a certain period then a temp permit has to issued until a definitive conclusion is reached. They mailed my permit that day.
From what youve said its hard to understand what the Bremerton PD is thinking about other than to hold you up. I think the extreme waiting periods for 99.99999% of CCW applicants is bogus. The police have enough info about you on file thats easily and quickly accessible to make a determination rapidly. In NH (my former state of residence) the issuing authority had 7 days to issue or deny. In my experience it took about half that time. NH also didnt require fingerprints.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:50:32 AM EDT
[#24]
From what I understand about Pierce County, they only mail out their permits on th 15th.  They are approved the same day that you apply for them, BUT this all means that if you apply for your permit on the 16th, you've got a 30 day wait ahead of you.  If you apply on the 14th, you've got a 3 day wait.  Keep that all in mind.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:06:04 AM EDT
[#25]
IIRC, The Sno county sheriff's office is closed to the public on Tuesday and Thursday. So Monday, Wednesday and Friday are the days to go. You might call ahead to make sure since its been a while for me. Took me 3 days to get my original permit. The wife's was mailed the same afternoon that she applied and arrived the next day.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#26]
My first one from OPD took a week, renewal from OPD took about 3 days and my renewal from Sumner PD took a littel over a week.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
IIRC, The Sno county sheriff's office is closed to the public on Tuesday and Thursday. So Monday, Wednesday and Friday are the days to go. You might call ahead to make sure since its been a while for me. Took me 3 days to get my original permit. The wife's was mailed the same afternoon that she applied and arrived the next day.

So, if I understand right it's better going to the Snohomish county's central PD and apply there.   Just need to bring the $60 and our fingers (for the fingerprints)?

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#28]
It depends on where in the county you live. If youre unincorparted then you must go to the Sheriff's Records Dept at the Sno Co municipal building in Everett. If you're incorparted go to your town/city PD.

ETA: Yes, always bring money to govt events. As for your fingers youll need them too but the govy lets you keep those.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Mine usually always kept mine the full 30 days.

Last time when I called them I was surpried they told me (at 25 days or so), "We wont mail it until 30, but if you are in the nieghborhood you can stop ina nd we will give it to you now."

And then when I got there they gave me an armfull of trigger locks. "We saw the list of handguns".

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:09:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Last time when I called them I was surpried they told me (at 25 days or so), "We wont mail it until 30, but if you are in the nieghborhood you can stop ina nd we will give it to you now."

And then when I got there they gave me an armfull of trigger locks. "We saw the list of handguns".

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#31]
After I get my permit, how long do I have to give the cops info on the pistol I'm buying?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
After I get my permit, how long do I have to give the cops info on the pistol I'm buying?

You don't, the FFL dealer that you are buying the pistol from will handle that for you.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Here in WA they don't care what you carry for a concealed weapon.  The weapon you choose to carry is not attached in any way to the permit.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

You have to tell them what guns you have when applying for the CPL?  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
It depends on where in the county you live. If youre unincorparted then you must go to the Sheriff's Records Dept at the Sno Co municipal building in Everett. If you're incorparted go to your town/city PD.

ETA: Yes, always bring money to govt events. As for your fingers youll need them too but the govy lets you keep those.

I'm in an incorporated municipality in Sno County.   It's more convenient going to the local PD but, if it is much faster going to Everett, I can take a day off and go there.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, they knew from the blue forms. The blue handgun form you fill out in WA state goes to Dept of Licensing in Oly. They keep a list. I called right after that and told them I didnt have half those guns, they said if I bring down a signed receipt I can get it ammended, but they will never be taken off my name.

Your guns are registered by you buying them on a 4473, yet another reason they want to ban FTF sales.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, they knew from the blue forms. The blue handgun form you fill out in WA state goes to Dept of Licensing in Oly. They keep a list. I called right after that and told them I didnt have half those guns, they said if I bring down a signed receipt I can get it ammended, but they will never be taken off my name.

Your guns are registered by you buying them on a 4473, yet another reason they want to ban FTF sales.

Well... got mine in FTF when living in another state.   So, no blue form or anything like that...  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:25:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I'm in an incorporated municipality in Sno County.   It's more convenient going to the local PD but, if it is much faster going to Everett, I can take a day off and go there.

If you go to the town PD they'll look at your address and tell you to go to the sheriff. They might figure this out right away or after some time. In any event the right place to go is the Sheriffs Dept (Records) in Everett. When I moved here I dropped off my courtesy copy for my FFL at the local PD...after all my address says Im in that town. About 2 wks later they called and said that since I was unincorporated Id need to file it w/ the sheriff. While I didnt attempt it I strongly suspect they wouldnt be interested in handling my CCW either. Also theres a Sno Co sheriff substation right up the road from me but...they referred me to the Everett location. In short all paths lead to one place for you...Sno Co sheriff Record Dept in the municipal building.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:57:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Yep, fourth floor of the county courthouse is where the records office is, can't go to substations. they fingerprint you there and also will do the WACIC/NCIC  check, substations just have support staff, some of which are not certified/authorized by WSP to perform those tasks/access criminal history records etc.

call them first, I believe that SCSO records dept is not open to public on tuesdays and thursdays.
(at least it used to not be, maybe that has changed)
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#40]
How many times and people  does it take to tell one person the same thing?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:33:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Got mine in less than 72 hours, 6weeks, WTF????
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:05:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Thurston County sheriff.  Heart of our State's Capital.   4 days.

Applied on a Thursday, got it on Wednesday.

-Rob
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

-Rob

I take it that math is not a strong subject for you.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Rob

The Monday was a holiday.

Back on topic..............

Grays Harbor County took 29 days for mine and about 23 days for my wifes.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#45]
OK!  Phil, feel free to call out those attack dawgs of yours...  Im more than a lil peeved.  I showed the RCW to a different secretary today after she told me I had to wait 30 business days/6 weeks for my permit.  Her response was:  We contacted the "lawmakers" about this before...  Those are business days.

Anyways, Now Im just waiting to be a card carrying member like most of you guys
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Rob

Hey, butt hole. I went in there on Thursday.... FRIDAY...MONDAY....TUESDAY...WEDNESDAY IS WHEN I GOT IT.... 4 DAYS.  Not counting the day I went in there or the weekend

Gawwwwd...

-Rob

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:20:59 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Rob

Hey, butt hole. I went in there on Thursday.... FRIDAY...MONDAY....TUESDAY...WEDNESDAY IS WHEN I GOT IT.... 4 DAYS.  Not counting the day I went in there or the weekend

Gawwwwd...

-Rob

Who is the butthole?..

The Sheriff's office is a 24/7 deal, and you did not say "Business days"..
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:26:34 AM EDT
[#48]
please dont take this in a disrespectful way, but i bet if you're mugged or assaulted after 30 days and prior to receiving  your CCW you will be entitled to a large sum of money courtesy of the Bremerton police dept.

it can happen right?...right? see what i'm saying??  if you had the permit when you SHOULD have had it then you could have made your would-be attackers lay on the ground, now it's not your fault if they accidently bump their head on your pitol on the way down. but due to carelessness and negligent handling of your concealed carry permit application by the Bremerton police dept. you had absolutely no way to defend yourself.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:18:41 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
please dont take this in a disrespectful way, but i bet if you're mugged or assaulted after 30 days and prior to receiving  your CCW you will be entitled to a large sum of money courtesy of the Bremerton police dept.

, this is defintiely not how it works.  The government has absolutley no duty what so ever to protect you as an individual, or to make sure that you have the means to protect yourself, from harm by another person's criminal act.  If you believe you could sue a law enforcement agency for "failing to give you the lawfull means to protect yourself" in any way, you are wrong.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Rob

Gawwwwd...

-Rob

Who is the butthole?..

The Sheriff's office is a 24/7 deal, and you did not say "Business days"..

Touche.

-Rob
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top