Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2006 9:09:30 PM EDT
No shit, there I was. . .

Today I was in a local gun shop when I heard this interesting phone conversation:

Employee (answering phone and relaying to apparent owner of store ten feet away):  It's Beta.  They want to know if you want to get on the waiting list for the new .308 mags.

Owner:  Uh, sure. . . wait.  .308 what?  .308's just a caliber.  What .308 is it for?

Employee:  They say it's for M14.

Owner:  Oh, M1A?  Sure.  Put me down for. . . uh. . . four.  Wait! How many rounds?  What's the retail?

Employee:  100 rounds.  Do you want smoke, clear or black?

Owner:  How much is it?

Employee:  $400

Owner:  Tell 'em to call back when they're ready.

----------------------------------------------------------

Now is it  just me or does a Beta Magazine for M14 / M1A seem slightly impractical?  Per www.fas.org, the M14 weighs 11.0 pounds with a full magazine and sling.  It's 8.7 pounds empty.  Let's say the sling is a non-contributor to weight.  For argument's sake, let's say a magazine weighs half a pound.  That's saying that 20 rounds weighs 1.8 pounds.  Then 100 rounds would weigh 9 pounds.  That makes for a 17.7 pound rifle!  Keep in mind that most M14s are full-length rifles.  The SOCOM variants are relative newcomers.  Also keep in mind that over in the CENTCOM AOR, Beta magazines have not fared well in the sandy environment.

Other than ARFCOM bragging rights, this seems like a shitty way to spend $400.  $400 can buy quite a few USGI magazines, plenty of ammo and / or a new gun.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:52:54 PM EDT
[#1]
So did you pre-order one from him?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I Stopped by the Beta booth twice at SHOT. The M14/M1A version will be released "soon", but isnt ready to be shipped. They werent sure of the price yet.

And they do plan on an AR10 and FAL tower. ETA late this year, early next year. They thought the FAL tower would be a challenge.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:26:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So did you pre-order one from him?

Yeah, I ordered a whole friggin' case of 'em.

Now it's off to the Bentley dealer to order a new beater or two.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:34:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Someone at BETACO needs to lay off the crack pipe....
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:59:48 AM EDT
[#5]
M1A, bipod, Beta Mag, shoe string...light machine gun.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#6]
no shit! light trigger, flip up buttplate bipod, sounds like some fun to me.......but NOT for $400.00
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:33:46 AM EDT
[#7]
More pimpshit for rifles that are not made to have pimpshit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top