Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2006 3:54:12 PM EDT
Well, the hippy and I have been planning on having a somewhat Irish wedding, some traditions that caught my eye include:

Ceilidh
The steps of Irish folkdances are called ceilidh. Treat your attendants to an Irish dancing lesson, and then "perform" a jig to traditional Irish music at the reception.

Playin' o' the Pipes
Infuse your ceremony with the strains of the Irish pipes. Although bagpipes have Celtic roots, they are traditionally Scottish. For a truly Emerald Isle affair, locate an Irish uillean piper to lead the processional or recessional.

Irish Wedding Feast
The customary wedding feast in Ireland was a potluck hosted at the bride's family's home. Each guest brought traditional Irish dishes such as soda bread, coddle, and stew. Even if you're having a more formal reception, you can still celebrate this Irish tradition by having a "feast" for your bridal shower or rehearsal dinner.

Noise Makers
A noisy way to ring in your nuptials with the luck o' the Irish is to have a recessional like those in Celtic history: instead of throwing rice upon exiting the church, men would fire rifles or other firearms into the air to signal that a couple is wed. Not your traditional exit (most churches would frown upon guns in the parking lot), if the men use blanks in their guns, and if you are getting married in an area without noise ordinances, then fire away, Irish style.

So the question is, which ones should we do?

Poll Coming
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
www.laketravisliquor.com/irish_whiskey.jpg

I haven't tried the other ones but I really like Tullamore.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:15:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Feast and bumpfiring, not necessarily in that order.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#5]
This place worked for me on 2/14/2001:
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#6]
The Love Me Tenderly Wedding

The Love me tenderly wedding package includes use of the Elvis Chapel, one Elvis impersonator Minister sings 1 song, candlelight service, Bride Garter, complimentary Limo, 6 photos 4 x 6s (of same pose), and Video Tape of the ceremony.

Price for this package is $265.00

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Given the location of the weddding, as much fun as it might be I'm going to have to veto the whole idea of gunfire.

Yeah, I'm a party pooper.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:47:09 PM EDT
[#8]
IF I was invited....knowing the PCR Clan as I do........I would EXPECT Mac to be classy enough to have pipes at the reception feast.

But that's just my humble opinion.

Now, as for bumpfiring as you exit the church???????
WHY HAVE WE NOT SEIZED THIS CONCEPT AND MADE IT OUR OWN????

BTW- If invited, I'll bring the Pocheen.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:49:18 AM EDT
[#9]
umm, don't let the Groom bayonet any holes in the Hippy's freshly painted wall,

is Tannerite an appropriate salute to the Processional ?

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:15:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The Love Me Tenderly Wedding

The Love me tenderly wedding package includes use of the Elvis Chapel, one Elvis impersonator Minister sings 1 song, candlelight service, Bride Garter, complimentary Limo, 6 photos 4 x 6s (of same pose), and Video Tape of the ceremony.

Price for this package is $265.00

www.liangsim.com/gallery/lasvegas/DSC02852.JPG

Ours is only costing $125, and best of all - No Elvis Impersonator

Santa Monica Blvd Wedding
Use of our chapel, traditional wedding music, bridal bouquet and boutonniere, video of your wedding, candlelight, 18 color photos and a gold embossed marriage license holder.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:46:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Whatever you do, do it for yourselves. We were married on the beach in Monterrey at sunset on Feb. 14, 1988. We've never forgotten our wedding and it remains very special to us. Nobody else will ever remember anything about it except maybe the party.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#13]

They offered many "deals" such as photo albums, commerative this and that and a whole bunch of et cetera--all for a nominal fee, of course.  We declined.  They did, however, have the minister read from the Roman Catholic page from his holy matrimonial clipboard.  Even the marriage certificate read that the wedding was performed at "The Western Catholic Church of Malibar", in case we were to have a "church" wedding in the future.  Oh, and a "donation" for the minister was suggested.  I think we gave him $20.  In all, I think it was <$125.  The above prices do not reflect the rental Dodge Neon we took through the drive-thru.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:42:49 PM EDT
[#14]
$50 cash and a marriage license will get you married here:

Office of Civil Marriages
County Building, 1st Floor
309 S. 3rd St.
Las Vegas, NV 89155-1603

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:19:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I voted 'dance'.
Porkin' out and gettin' drunk are a 'given'!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top