Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2006 5:16:59 PM EDT
Last night I opened a UPS box hoping to find AR-10 tools inside. Unfortunately, it appears that whoever packed that box at Armalite had a bad day.

I'm installing a 2" float tube assy on an AR-10 A4 and don't want to wait another 2 weeks until my "correct" tools arrive. I already have the correct AR10 wrench, just need access to the AR10 vise block and an AR15 wrench to install this smaller diameter barrel nut.

Dan

EDIT: I live in Federal Way and am not asking to borrow it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I just use two small pieces of wood on bottom and top of the receiver, one cut to fit between the pins and the other the length of the rail. Clamp it tightly in a vise and keep the torque on the barrel nut under 80lbs. The AR-10 receiver is a lot stronger than the AR-15 and can take it.

It is much easier if you have a 1/2" drive torque wrench that will snap into the barrel wrench and give you some leverage.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Good idea. This is a first for me. At least I'm not mixing epoxy, but that hastle would be over in less time and I'm experienced with that.

Is that 80 lbs. maximum as measured on the torque wrench when clicked into the barrel wrench or does a person need make the necessary conversion because of the increased length? I've heard that once the nut has settled (worked a little back and forth) onto the upper threads you just go to the next gas port hole (if possible) and it's finished. Can't be too difficult. Gotta be easy.

I have just the piece of wood outside...

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#3]
The torque will vary with different barrel nuts and receivers. As a general rule 70-80 lbs ought to line up the hole for the gas tube. I dial in 65 lbs for an AR-15 and 70 lbs for the AR-10. When I hear the click I check to see where the nut is located then final tighten from there, by feel .

The FF tube pins into the barrel nut so you want that gas tube hole dead center, otherwise your rails won't line up. Use a little grease on the threads to prevent galling, tighten the nut to about 50lbs, loosen,  tighten it again, loosen it again, then torque it down. Try not to go past your gas tube hole.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:08:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The FF tube pins into the barrel nut so you want that gas tube hole dead center, otherwise your rails won't line up. Use a little grease on the threads to prevent galling, tighten the nut to about 50lbs, loosen,  tighten it again, loosen it again, then torque it down. Try not to go past your gas tube hole.

Sounds good. When do I bring my nut up your way.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Sounds good. When do I bring my nut up your way.

That a lefty or a righty?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Bring it over next GF shoot, right now my garage is stuffed with moving boxes
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
right now my garage is stuffed with moving boxes

Congrats!

Another gun build at Razzles!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top