Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2006 7:00:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:02:57 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The problem with city life, including and due to, traffic, crime, lines, rudeness, crowds, etc., is that there is zero sense of individualism.

I guess it's popular, since so many choose to do it.... but damn! I feel like a number or a subject at every 5 minute red light, or during every wait in a line for a cup of coffee.... or, whatever requires patience and tolerance for trivial tasks. Since when is life about waiting your turn?

There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home.... get me outta here, pronto!!

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The problem with city life, including and due to, traffic, crime, lines, rudeness, crowds, etc., is that there is zero sense of individualism.

I guess it's popular, since so many choose to do it.... but damn! I feel like a number or a subject at every 5 minute red light, or during every wait in a line for a cup of coffee.... or, whatever requires patience and tolerance for trivial tasks. Since when is life about waiting your turn?

There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home.... get me outta here, pronto!!

I understand *exactly* how you feel. I can hardly wait to be done w/ it myself....and Im working hard to that end.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:21:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I agree, they did a test a while back where a guy laid down on a sidewalk like he had a heart attack, in big cities people would step over him without even acknowledging him being there, but when they did it in a small town people rushed to his aid immediately.

The preacher man says it’s the end of time
And the Mississippi River she’s a goin’ dry
The interest is up and the Stock Markets down
And you only get mugged
If you go down town

I live back in the woods, you see
A woman and the kids, and the dogs and me
I got a shotgun rifle and a 4-wheel drive
And a country boy can survive
Country folks can survive

I can plow a field all day long
I can catch catfish from dusk till dawn
We make our own whiskey and our own smoke too
Ain’t too many things these ole boys can’t do
We grow good ole tomatoes and homemade wine

Because you can’t starve us out
And you cant makes us run
Cause one-of- ‘em old boys raisin ole shotgun
And we say grace and we say Ma’am
And if you ain’t into that we don’t give a damn

We came from the West Virginia coalmines
And the Rocky Mountains and the and the western skies
And we can skin a buck; we can run a crop line

I had a good friend in New York City
He never called me by my name, just hillbilly
My grandpa taught me how to live off the land
And his taught him to be a businessman
He used to send me pictures of the Broadway nights
And I’d send him some homemade wine

But he was killed by a man with a switchblade knife
For 43 dollars my friend lost his life
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
Cause a country boy can survive

Cause you can’t starve us out and you can’t make us run

We’re from North California and south Alabam
And little towns all around this land

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:59:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I agree, they did a test a while back where a guy laid down on a sidewalk like he had a heart attack, in big cities people would step over him without even acknowledging him being there, but when they did it in a small town people rushed to his aid immediately.

I see that everyday when I goto work...

The best one is how it takes 8 hours for someone to notice their 2 year old is missing in an apartment complex, The police find the kid running around in pajamas at 3:00 in the afternoon out in plane sight, and not one person bothered to ask the kid, or try and see if anything was wrong.

I have 5 acres 5 miles out of town, and it is still too close...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:31:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Cities Suck.

What is good for the city is not good anywhere else, but they pass laws that are only good for the city.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:38:58 PM EDT
[#7]
This is exactly the reason I wanted a few acres to myself in a rural setting. I can relax at the end of my day and not feel like I am living in a rat maze. Now if I could get the neighbor to clean up his superfund cantidate of a yard I'd be a bit happier I suppose but then again every time I drive by it I laugh.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I would love to live where I had space, but....there are reason's cities are cities...that is where the jobs are.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:05:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Hippynik and I are going to do a home invasion and take ODT's place.  She's on point .  ODT can stay, but we get the big room.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I would love to live where I had space, but....there are reason's cities are cities...that is where the jobs are.  

I had a job that seems readily available and not in the city...  

milking cows
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:50:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The preacher man says it’s the end of time
And the Mississippi River she’s a goin’ dry
The interest is up and the Stock Markets down
And you only get mugged
If you go down town

I live back in the woods, you see
A woman and the kids, and the dogs and me
I got a shotgun rifle and a 4-wheel drive

I can plow a field all day long
I can catch catfish from dusk till dawn
We make our own whiskey and our own smoke too
Ain’t too many things these ole boys can’t do
We grow good ole tomatoes and homemade wine

Because you can’t starve us out
And you cant makes us run

We came from the West Virginia coalmines
And the Rocky Mountains and the and the western skies

I had a good friend in New York City
He never called me by my name, just hillbilly
My grandpa taught me how to live off the land
And his taught him to be a businessman
He used to send me pictures of the Broadway nights
And I’d send him some homemade wine

But he was killed by a man with a switchblade knife
For 43 dollars my friend lost his life
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
Cause a country boy can survive

Cause you can’t starve us out and you can’t make us run

We’re from North California and south Alabam
And little towns all around this land

A big Amen for Hank Jr.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:59:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Whats a city?(goes outside looks east, open rolling emptiness as far as I can see, Sighs, thanks God that No coasties lives near).
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Whats a city?(goes outside looks east, open rolling emptiness as far as I can see, Sighs, thanks God that No coasties lives near).

I like eastern WA...a lot. We drove thru as wheat (or some grain) was being harvested. Ive never seen fields that big before...that make 6 combines side by side look little. Im used to eastern farms which are considerably smaller. While eastern WA is really nice (as are the people) Ill let you have it. Id rather be in the SE where it gets coldish in the winter and hot/humid in the summer and theres plenty of deer and birds to hunt. It a good place to own a big farm too.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:48:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

That is the very reason I/We moved out of the city and got some acres in the trees this past July. My Mother In-Law, who lived two doors down from us in a new development, fell and shattered both her legs above the knees. The one leg had 15 breaks! This was in January that she fell.

- she is a 70+ yo Woman
- she is in a bathrobe and slippers
- it was in the mid 30's
- she was laying in the middle of her empty concrete driveway
- her house is the first you have to drive by to get in the development
- it was 2:oo in the afternoon

Nobody stopped, noboddy called the ambulance, and nobody gave a shit. A day later I am home to freshen up from 24 hours of Emergency Room living and some "neighbors" see me getting out of the car, they say "what happened, we seen your "Mom" laying in the driveway but figured something was wrong, so we didn't stop"... and we got the same type responses a couple more time the following week. Nice huh?

We started looking for houses to escape the City and its fucked up people the day my MIL got home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top