Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 1:48:13 AM EDT
I went up to Robe tonight to function check my SEBR. I got pulled over - 47 in a 25. No ticket; I should have realized my luck was used up for the day and gone home. I pressed on.

The SEBR worked fine. I took a ricochet in the finger though; it bled impressively. I had to pack up one handed and drive in to town. I stopped at the ER in Everett (what a shithole). Eventually, I left and went home. Duct tape and gauze are doing fine, baby!

I was very calm:

My shirt, though, was impressively bloody:

From this little old puncture wound:

I'll go to my GP in the AM and get it cleaned &c.

Love,
Ry
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:44:52 AM EDT
[#1]
If you need to shoot up there, call me and take me along. Shooting alone is even more dangerous than shooting with your friends.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:25:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Shooting alone is even more dangerous than shooting with your friends.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:56:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Watch out for this guy ----><----
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:01:10 AM EDT
[#4]
eh, I usually shoot alone. This time it bit me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:44:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Keep an eye out for infection.  "Spider Webs" radiating from the wound area indicate a trip to doctor most rikki-tick.

Trying to fight infection from the inside out with Maker's Mark doesn't count.

Trey
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:39:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Very impressive blood flow. That from a long range ricochet? I keep a first aid kit in my range bag for just this type of stuff.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:43:04 AM EDT
[#8]
And that's why we should all wear eye protection, I don't but know I should.

What did you tell the ER?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:56:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I got pulled over - 47 in a 25. No ticket...

How did you pull that off?

I was polite? Really, no idea. The cop asked the questions and I politely responded. He ran my info and told me to slow down. That's it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:57:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Very impressive blood flow. That from a long range ricochet? I keep a first aid kit in my range bag for just this type of stuff.

yeah. It looks like it went in and out - it hit an artery, as it was spurting blood. I'd never seen that on myself before, so it was impressive.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
And that's why we should all wear eye protection, I don't but know I should.
What did you tell the ER?

That I was out shooting and got hit by a ricochet. I ended up leaving after 90 minutes - not hanging out for no care. I put a band-aid on it and some duct tape and slept on it - this morning I changed the wrapper. I'm going to see my GP today and get it cleaned up.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Man I am glad your ok... saw your other post last night and wondered what the ER comment meant... gezzz now I know!  Like the others say, when I taught SCUBA diving you always have a buddy system, it always in there for the "In the unlikely event this were to occur".... I would tell me students, you dive along, you die along... don't let this happen to you!!!!

Again sorry to hear and glad it was not worse!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#13]
You have my info.  I live near the pit.  Call me and if I am able, I would love to join you.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#14]
IIRC, Vapor once got nailed in the arm pretty good by a ricochet at the pit.  

When you go to the doc, keep in mind that they are required by law to notify law enforcement of any firearm injuries.    
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:14:34 PM EDT
[#15]
wrt reporting, the intake nurse said as an injury that happened while shooting and not a gunshot there was no reporting requirement.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:49:09 PM EDT
[#16]
As much as I like you guys......I am compelled to say this.

THE LITTLE POINTY THINGS COMING OUT OF THE BARREL WILL BOUNCE AGAINST THE ROCKS. IT CAN AND WILL HURT. DON'T SHOOT AT THE ROCKS AND THE LIKELYHOOD DECREASES.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Ry- Nice tie-dye.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:56:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:58:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

When you go to the doc, keep in mind that they are required by law to notify law enforcement of any firearm injuries.    

Im not going to hoist the BS flag, but im not sure that is correct.

Prove me wrong and post a link to the law/WAC/RCW or whatever it is you got that info from, cause I need to make a couple of changes in my responce's to people in the the back of the Ambulance, or over the phone.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:16:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Ry- Nice tie-dye.

Thanks! I'll wear it to work.

ER admitting nurse: "tell me that's paint"
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:21:02 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im not going to hoist the BS flag, but im not sure that is correct.

Prove me wrong and post a link to the law/WAC/RCW or whatever it is you got that info from, cause I need to make a couple of changes in my responce's to people in the the back of the Ambulance, or over the phone.

The law:

WAC 246-101-301 Notifiable conditions and health care facilities.This section describes the conditions that Washington's health care facilities must notify public health authorities of on a statewide basis. The board finds that the conditions in the table below (Table HF-1) are notifiable for the prevention and control of communicable and noninfectious diseases and conditions. Local health officers may require additional conditions to be notifiable within the local health officer's jurisdiction. Health care facilities are required to notify public health authorities of cases that occur in their facilities. Health care facilities may choose to assume the notification for their health care providers for conditions designated in Table HF-1. Health care facilities may not assume the reporting requirements of laboratories that are components of the health care facility. Local health officers may require additional conditions to be notifiable within the local health officer's jurisdiction.

WAC sections 246-101-305, 246-101-310, 246-101-315, and 246-101-320 also include requirements for how notifications shall be made, when they are made, the content of these notifications, and how information regarding notifiable conditions cases must be handled and may be disclosed.

Gunshot wounds (nonfatal) Monthly  Notifiable to State Department of Health

There are plenty of bills to make this requirement more strict; requiring reporting of all gunshot and stab wounds to the police before the patient leaves. Look for bill 1730, it seems to come up every year.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:22:53 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
<SNIP>

ER admitting nurse: "tell me that's paint"

That's right up there with the #1 comment from my last visit to the ER-
As the female ER Tech peers into the gaping wound in my hand-

"Wow....so that's what it looks like in there...."
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Matt45 as you have reason to speak, you do remember the indoor range incident?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
IIRC, Vapor once got nailed in the arm pretty good by a ricochet at the pit.  

Yup...took a 7mm round into my  left bicep as I was picking up my range bag at the end of the day.  Felt like I had been hit with a baseball....then I felt something red hot in my arm...bullet was lodged in there but I was able to brush it out...it stayed hot for about  2 minutes.

I didn't go to the ER because of the fear of having to answer questions and risk having the pit closed (remember....its private property).  So I just cleaned out the hole as best as possible...and now I've got a nice scar to show for my efforts.

I always get really nervous when I see people shooting at rocks up there....I ALWAYS wear eye protection from the time I arrive to the time I leave.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top