Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2006 3:25:25 PM EDT
I was wondering if anyone here has taken any classes from Insights?  I'm thinking about taking a couple of their  courses and was wondering  what to expect.  Thanks again.

Eric
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:04:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I was wondering if anyone here has taken any classes from Insights?  I'm thinking about taking a couple of their  courses and was wondering  what to expect.  Thanks again.

Eric

I am also looking at what they have to offer, would love to hear what others have found!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#2]
What are you thinking about taking?  The one if most interested in is the unarmed groundfighting class.  Mainly because I started doing some kickboxing and Brazilian Jujitsu and found out  just how much i need to learn hahaha.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#3]

I was wondering if anyone here has taken any classes from Insights? I'm thinking about taking a couple of their courses and was wondering what to expect. Thanks again.

I took their General Defensive Pistol class last year, am taking their General Defensive Rifle in a couple weeks.  Rifle entails shooting 500 rounds or so from the rifle and a hundred or so from the pistol (practicing transitions).

I'm really looking forward to it because the Pistol class was OUTSTANDING!  I'd been shooting pistols for 20 years, taken and taught NRA basic pistol and the class starkly showed me the difference between having a gun you can shoot accurately and being able to fight with a gun.  It covered drawing/shooting, malfunction drills, legal and moral criteria to consider when contemplating carrying a pistol.

One comparison I've heard is that Insights teach a military mindset and Firearms Academy of Seattle down in Chehalis more of a cop mindset but I don't know if I agree with the assessment of Insights.  I do hope to take an FAS class so I can tell.

Hope this helps...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#4]
where are they located?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:49:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
where are they located?

InSights Training Center
www.insightstraining.com/
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had classes from Louis Awerbuck and Pat Rogers, as well as Insights.  Greg Hamilton of Insights gives world class instruction and is right in Issaquah.  Five star rating.  You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I have taken the general defensive handgun class, defensive folding knife and their unarmed class.  All were very good.  For the past few years I have been going to FAS, because of their better range facilities (500 yard rifle, dark house, 360 bay, etc.) and their courses are not quite as expensive.  They also let you retake their courses for half price.  

Both Insights and FAS are good.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#8]
thanks for the info everyone!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I've taken classes with them, and they are good people.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:03:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What are you thinking about taking?  The one if most interested in is the unarmed groundfighting class.  Mainly because I started doing some kickboxing and Brazilian Jujitsu and found out  just how much i need to learn hahaha.  

Like he said;

"I took their General Defensive Pistol class last year, am taking their General Defensive Rifle in a couple weeks. Rifle entails shooting 500 rounds or so from the rifle and a hundred or so from the pistol (practicing transitions)."

I want to take both of these and other similar courses... I always had wanted to be part of a swat or special forces team when I was younger... many of my family were in military, government, FBI, CIA, etc... My life trail ended up all over the place, I did a fair share of extreme jobs but now would like at least the opportunity to train some of the areas I missed… no fun owning a Black gun if I don’t have the training to use it, even if it will all be in theory… I am also looking at a place in AZ… I forget the name of the place right now, but I have family there and would love to take a few weeks going there to do the tactical training courses!

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I took their defensive knife class last year and I was impressed with it. It is very good training for the money. As for firearms training I think you will get more bang for your buck at FAS. That's just my opinion. Their tuition is cheaper, their training is top rate and you can retake their classes and get a 50% discount.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:21:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I've taken general defensive handgun and general defensive rifle.

Both classes were excellent and well worth the money.

I'm taking the folding blade class next month and am trying very hard to get my non-gunnie GF to take the unarmed self defense class with me this year.

I highly recommend their classes and consider money spent on training to be a sound investment.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:46:03 AM EDT
[#13]

I am also looking at a place in AZ

Arizona's Gunsite is supposed to be one hell of a training place.

Another possibility is Clint Smith's Thunder Ranch, which moved from texas to Oregon about a year ago:  http://www.thunderranchinc.com/TRoregonhome.html.

Probably in about the same class as Gunsite and a lot closer to home!

On the hunting side, I'm really intrigued by this place in Texas which Thunder Ranch links to:  http://www.indianheadranch.com/.   I grew up wilderness-challenged and their hunter apprentice class sounds like a hell of a way to come up to speed on hunting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top