Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 4:49:33 PM EDT
King five just had a very slanted story on target shooting out in the capital forest . To sum it up they made it out that most shooters are dumpers.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#2]
King5 is teh SUCK!!

Right up there with TGI Fridays
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Who did the report?
Find out and then see if you can contact them and ask them to go out to the closed areas of the Sultan basin to shooters and see if the dumping has stopped.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Who did the report?
Find out and then see if you can contact them and ask them to go out to the closed areas to shooters and see if the dumping has stopped.

I have contacted a  friend  a couple weeks ago that works at king 5 and I am trying  that with the sultan basin. I doubt that anything will happen
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#7]
And people are boggled when I tell them I have not watched cable or broadcast TV in over 5 years.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Shooters are often guilty of leaving their trash behind, but I don't know of any shooters that leave meth labs .....  I guess that doesn't matter if you are fixating on guns being evil.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#9]
FWIW, GF is trashed, and while none of us did it, actually we are about the only ones who actually clean on it, it is trashed to hell and back.

We are a subset of all shooters, but out of the superset, they are right, a lot of these fuckers trash the place.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:14:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I dont think it counts when I dump at a site one day and go back later to shoot... does it?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:49:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

We are a subset of all shooters, but out of the superset, they are right, a lot of these fuckers trash the place.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:43:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Text of story here...

Capitol Forest being trashed

08:29 AM PST on Wednesday, January 25, 2006
By GARY CHITTIM / KING 5 News

OLYMPIA, Wash. – The Capitol Forest is one of the most accessible in the state and, unfortunately, that access is taking a serious toll.

KING

Capitol Forest is an oasis just minutes from the noisy busy life of the state capitol – a peaceful forest that lately doesn't seem so peaceful.

Video Clip
Gary Chittim reports

More ...

Custom Video
"Last Sunday morning, we were up at 6:30 a.m., broke daylight at around 6:30, 7:00. We jump in the hot tub and immediately the shooting started. My wife says it's early Sunday morning and already we have to listen to gunfire," said Scott Maynard.

Evidence of the shooting can be found everywhere, some of it within range of the Maynards and other homes.

Slide show
Photos of trashed areas
But this is nothing compared the damage at the place they call the pit. You have to wade through a sea of spent shotgun, rifle and pistol shells to even get into this place.

Responsible shooters will pick up after themselves, but others don't and some even use the target shooting outings to dump a little household trash.

"On a daily basis, there would be anything from illegal shooting, to trash dumping to illegal motorcycle riding," said Rick Thrasher.

He knows this area well, because it was his beat before retiring from the DNR law enforcement division. He says this problem is getting worse.

It's gotten so bad that you can pick any side road, any pullout, any landing and you can find where people have pulled a few hundred yards off the road to dump their trash and in some cases they don't even bother to do that.

And while DNR agents do what they can to catch illegal dumpers, they simply can't keep up.

"There are eight of us in the state, so we really rely on other law enforcement entities and the users of the forest," said Jim Russel, DNR investigator.

And this is a problem we're all paying for. When people are too cheap and lazy to properly take care of their trash, tax dollars are spent to clean up after them.

Illegal dumping and shooting are just a few of the crimes being reported in the Capitol Forest. There are also complaints of illegal motorcycle riding and poaching.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:54:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I cannot believe how folks act -surprised- at this media coverage.  Do y'all think that King5 planted the algae covered shotgun hulls in capital forest? It's not a massive federal conspiracy folks it's slob shooters.

Slob shooters hand our political opponents gold plated ammo on a silver platter and it is right there in living algae color on that page. I'm sure no one here leaves their crap behind in the woods when they shoot but if you've seen the woods lately you know that SOMEBODY is doin' it. And at the top of the pile of shot up washers and cars you always see brass and hulls.

Sit down before you read this:
Not everyone loves the shooting sports. It's weird, I know, but those folks who scratch their heads about the shooting sports (as they write property tax checks for sports stadia) don't have to go very far to find reasons to dislike us. Shooters practically shove it into their faces so why -shouldnt- they be "out to get" us?

So, for the folks like me who want to see shooting rights -improve-, let me suggest that you take a 30 gallon trash bag next time you go and clean up after other people. Sure, it's not your crap. But it certainly IS your problem. -Boyd

I'll steal a particularly appropriate .sig here:
You don't see things as they are, you see things as you are. ~Nietzsche
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:59:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

So, for the folks like me who want to see shooting rights -improve-, let me suggest that you take a 30 gallon trash bag next time you go and clean up after other people. Sure, it's not your crap. But it certainly IS your problem. -Boyd

Boyd, we are already doing that, and have been for at least the nearly six years that I've seen this group in action.  We'll keep doing it everytime we shoot too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:12:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:16:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Great, I had no doubt that some folks are, because I've been there too (as mentioned in previous threads...).

But do you doubt that you are the minority? If half the people in our community did this, how could capital forest possibly look the way that it does? That is (at the very least) worth a call to action in my book. It shouldn't be -any- problem to get half the shooters to carry an extra garbage bag out with them and if we did that there -wouldnt- -be- any algae covered hulls in the woods. Yeah, there would be some trash but it would never sit there long enough to -grow- shit like that picture on KING5 shows.

After the svrc thread I should know better then to jump in here again, but folks, my calling for people to do this work doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the people who already are. It means that I want MORE TO HELP. We don't want to 'do something' we need this problem to be -solved- and it is not, we need to do more. -Boyd
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:31:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Last time we got together at the pit, we filled a 30 gallon trash bag with wet, soggy trash and hauled it out. We try to clean the pit everytime we shoot.

We haul the computer parts over to the parts pile, we rake up the brrass, burn trash if we can start a fire, and generally give the place a police call.

The Arfcommers who use the Robe pit are doing their share and more.

Stick that in the fucking news.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:38:35 AM EDT
[#18]
This is a fine idea. I think someone else posted that they have contacts at King5, send them a verifiable "invitation" and cc a pro gun magazine (like GunNews, Gun News, fishing and hunting news, SAF reporter... whoever but probably local).

Then either way somebody gets a story. If King5 shows up that's optimal but if not then your pro gun editors get grist for the mill with their "good deed done by shooters... mainstream media not worth beans" story.  Pix before -&- after so that they know you're not just cleaning up after yourself.

But again, my issue wasn't arf.commers, it was the way that slob shooters make ALL of us look. -Boyd
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:20:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Place we go, we always try to pick up our crap we shoot, it's generally easy if you bring a tarp for shells and police the area real well.. always end up taking back as OTHER garbage as possible..

Any of you guys in the Portland-Metro area wanting to do something like that this summer at  a great place to shoot, let me know.

The amount of garbage people leave out there is simply terrible, including refridgrators and such. Last time when we went with a friend who had a truck(we don't), ended up taking a washer and drier to the dump. The place probably hasn't been cleaned up in 50 years that people have been shooting up there.

I'm surprised our very liberal and anti-gun local paper hasn't done a similiar story.

Oddly, in Gifford Pinchot, I have not seen any major trash dumps. Around here the white trash typically drives around town looking for open dumpsters to dump in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top