Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2006 8:32:41 PM EDT
Well?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Haven't even converted my welder over to run the gas yet, it is still running flux core. Just to give you an idea, My welds look like runny boogers But they hold good enough
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My welds look like runny boogers But they hold good enough

So they should look right at home on those Scouts!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:05:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My welds look like runny boogers But they hold good enough

So they should look right at home on those Scouts!

Might even bring the value of his scout up some

If he was not so damn impatient I might could teach him how to make a pretty weld that holds just as good as it looks, I would love hate to show him up
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:44:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Haven't even converted my welder over to run the gas yet, it is still running flux core. Just to give you an idea, My welds look like runny boogers

That flux core isn't dualshield is it?

Since I don't know what that is, I'll have to say it isn't
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If he was not so damn impatient I might could teach him how to make a pretty weld that holds just as good as it looks, I would love hate to show him up

lol, now THAT has to hurt!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

She talks big, but every time I ask her if she wants to try she says "It's been so long since i've welded though...."
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:43:02 AM EDT
[#8]
When I changed over to gas I had so much fun laying down "clean"  beads I wound up burning a bunch of holes, it just ran so much smoother I didn't want to stop
I love cooking with gas
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:05:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I got mine last week after some of your guys' recommendations.  Still haven't had an oppertunity to use it.  The little woman's car has been taking up all my time.  Piston rings finally went south.

What did you end up getting Kooter?

-Rob
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

She talks big, but every time I ask her if she wants to try she says "It's been so long since i've welded though...."

Hell yeah I make excuses.  If I showed you how good I am at it, it would turn into everything else around the house "Heather can you...."  and I have enough on my plate right now to have to add welding a truck to it
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

What did you end up getting Kooter?

-Rob

I got a lincoln Pro mig 135. I've had it for about a year, just finally got the bottle and gas so I don't have to use the flux core wire anymore. Not a very big welder, but I'm just planning on using it for sheet metal.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:04:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Sence I started this post we have been trying to get our new computer up and runing. It's working now.

Years ago I started out with a 200amp buzz box and a Lincoln 125 amp flux core welder. I liked the little flux core machine. It was portable and I did not have to mess with a bottle. My welds were clean too with just a little bit of flux on top. I should not have sold it, if I find another one used for sale I'd buy it.

Quoted:
Haven't even converted my welder over to run the gas yet, it is still running flux core. Just to give you an idea, My welds look like runny boogers But they hold good enough

Take your time and practice lots. You can weld 1/4 inch steel all day long. Run three passes and it should not brake. It helps a whole bunch if some one shows you a few times starting out till you get it down. Kooter are welcome to come up any time and bring your welder and I'll help you get a good looking bead.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:08:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Biggest hint I can give you in general when running a bead is: *slow down*
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:49:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Take your time and practice lots. You can weld 1/4 inch steel all day long. Run three passes and it should not brake. It helps a whole bunch if some one shows you a few times starting out till you get it down. Kooter are welcome to come up any time and bring your welder and I'll help you get a good looking bead.

I'll probably take you up on that when I get to the welding portion of my job. Will probably be awhile before I get the far though. Lots of cleaning and prep work need to go under the bed before I am ready to lay a new one in.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:23:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Haven't even converted my welder over to run the gas yet, it is still running flux core. Just to give you an idea, My welds look like runny boogers

That flux core isn't dualshield is it?

Make sure with any flux cored wire you have reverse polarity. Should be a chart inside to show you how to switch it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top