Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2006 8:23:26 PM EDT
how did you attach the holster to the vehicle?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#1]
the one and only SKSGuy

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Ductape, staples, and/or superglue, duh
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:18:01 PM EDT
[#4]
sigh
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:26:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:22:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Goin' tactical...or postal?

tactical.  I cant draw if i have my seat belt on.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:19:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Goin' tactical...or postal?

tactical.  I cant draw if i have my seat belt on.

I think gangsta.com has a set up where you can just use plastic wire ties to mount the pistol directly to the steering wheel  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:19:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I can't say enough good things about my Wilderness Safepacker.  In a nutshell, it's a cordura envelope/pouch for a pistol.  It rides nice and pretty on the transmission hump when I drive, or in my off hand when I'm walking around.  You can also attach it directly to your seat belt if you prefer.  

It looks like a case for carrying CDs, or some kind of man purse.  Only one person has ever made me as packing when I had it in my hand.  There's some stigma, I guess, to letting people think you've got a man purse / fag bag.  But, I'll take that if it means having my 1911 handy.

Main drawbacks are a slower draw and the possibility of being separated from your weapon.  But all in all, it's been a good system for me, in and out of the car.

Check it out
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:10:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one mounted to the cubby hole in my car if thats what you're referring to.  Drilled two holes used machine screws with flat washers and that was about it.

And if you don't want to drill you can get some industrial velcro.  The kind that is hard on *BOTH* sides.  Mash it together so it locks and then affix it to whatever you want.  Not my cup of tea but whatever.

-Rob
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:20:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I can't say enough good things about my Wilderness Safepacker.  <snip> But all in all, it's been a good system for me, in and out of the car.

Intersting...at the url you gave it shows the thing threaded thru the seat belt. Have you tryed it that way? How quickly can you employ it from the xmission hump?

A friend of mine kept his HG in the map pocket (on the door). Even though is was a LH draw it worked out pretty good for him.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have one mounted to the cubby hole in my car if thats what you're referring to.  Drilled two holes used machine screws with flat washers and that was about it.
And if you don't want to drill you can get some industrial velcro.  The kind that is hard on *BOTH* sides.  Mash it together so it locks and then affix it to whatever you want.  Not my cup of tea but whatever.

-Rob

Thats interesting and certainly says 'Im armed!!'. How did you decide on location? Did you consider the other side of the bulkhead or would that have taken up too much leg room? I like that Glock BTW...what caliber?

Just as an aside...do you happen to own a SIG?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thats interesting and certainly says 'Im armed!!'. How did you decide on location? Did you consider the other side of the bulkhead or would that have taken up too much leg room? I like that Glock BTW...what caliber?

Just as an aside...do you happen to own a SIG?

True. It does.  But there is a difference here as far as letting people know I'm armed and being prepared for people that want to "attack" me while I'm in my car.  I will never ever reveal that I'm carrying while I'm carrying on my person (in public) unless, of course, it's one of our outings at the pit(s).  I rethought my position on open carry after the gentlemen at the Tacoma mall that drew down on the kid.

Honestly I looked everywhere in the car for a less conspicuous place and couldn't find one.  All of the other locations were either in my immediate way when I entered the vehicle, inhibited the action of the shifter or the e-brake, or were even *more* obvious.  I like that because when I enter my vehicle I can plant my feet on the ground with the car door open, un-holster it from my person,  lock it into place in the cubby hole and still be obscured by the car or the angle.  

My car is a small two door so it's difficult to find many locations.  Honestly I didn't set out to make a point with the car holster, I would've been completely content with having it holstered on my person while driving but I have "bucket" seats that really don't facilitate comfort.  

No, I don't actually own a Sig.  Although I have been looking at a P-232 for when I need to trade capacity and stopping power for comfort and "concealability".

Glock is a 23/32.

-Rob
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:07:27 PM EDT
[#14]
legal deagle hot-glued to the dash?

not me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
True. It does.  But there is a difference here as far as letting people know I'm armed and being prepared for people that want to "attack" me while I'm in my car.  I will never ever reveal that I'm carrying while I'm carrying on my person (in public) unless, of course, it's one of our outings at the pit(s).  I rethought my position on open carry after the gentlemen at the Tacoma mall that drew down on the kid.

Honestly I looked everywhere in the car for a less conspicuous place and couldn't find one.  All of the other locations were either in my immediate way when I entered the vehicle, inhibited the action of the shifter or the e-brake, or were even *more* obvious.  I like that because when I enter my vehicle I can plant my feet on the ground with the car door open, un-holster it from my person,  lock it into place in the cubby hole and still be obscured by the car or the angle.  

My car is a small two door so it's difficult to find many locations.  Honestly I didn't set out to make a point with the car holster, I would've been completely content with having it holstered on my person while driving but I have "bucket" seats that really don't facilitate comfort.  

No, I don't actually own a Sig.  Although I have been looking at a P-232 for when I need to trade capacity and stopping power for comfort and "concealability".

Glock is a 23/32.

-Rob

I see. I was wondering how visible the HG would be to someone approaching your vehicle from behind...like a COP would. (I take it youve not been pulled over before w/ this particular setup.) If your answer is not well would that be from the standpoint of someone who's casually observing you or one intent on finding dangers (as the police would)? All of this questioning is b/c Ive been thinking along the lines of some alternate carrying in my car. My side holster (like yours) isnt accessible when Im belted in. OTOH I was prioritizing total concealment and quick access equally. While my friends map pocket was a good solution for him Im not so sure it works that well for me. It really doesnt give quick access (LH or cross draw) and historically map pockets seem to be a dirt and Stuff magnet. I was thinking along the lines of some sort of seat cover or attachment that would contain the gun at the front of the seat. In that way to draw you just need to reach between your knees otherwise your body and the darkness of being   low in the vehicle conceals the weapon.  Then again I was thinking about just shifting my side holster more toward the fron of my body. Im not sure how comfortable that would be b/c Ive not tryed it yet.

I asked about the Sig b/c I was wondering if I met you at Wade's this Monday. I let a guy named Rob shoot my Sig Mosquito. It didnt dawn on me until later that might have been you. Was it?

How do you usually keep the Glock setup...as a 40 or 357? I have a 23 but have never cared to convert it to a 32 b/c the ammo is too expensive.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It's threads like this that just encourage him.

Does that mean you all have talked over this topic before? I sounds like it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:04:12 PM EDT
[#17]
 Oh yea.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I see. I was wondering how visible the HG would be to someone approaching your vehicle from behind...like a COP would. (I take it youve not been pulled over before w/ this particular setup.) If your answer is not well would that be from the standpoint of someone who's casually observing you or one intent on finding dangers (as the police would)? All of this questioning is b/c Ive been thinking along the lines of some alternate carrying in my car. My side holster (like yours) isnt accessible when Im belted in. OTOH I was prioritizing total concealment and quick access equally. While my friends map pocket was a good solution for him Im not so sure it works that well for me. It really doesnt give quick access (LH or cross draw) and historically map pockets seem to be a dirt and Stuff magnet. I was thinking along the lines of some sort of seat cover or attachment that would contain the gun at the front of the seat. In that way to draw you just need to reach between your knees otherwise your body and the darkness of being   low in the vehicle conceals the weapon.  Then again I was thinking about just shifting my side holster more toward the fron of my body. Im not sure how comfortable that would be b/c Ive not tryed it yet.

I asked about the Sig b/c I was wondering if I met you at Wade's this Monday. I let a guy named Rob shoot my Sig Mosquito. It didnt dawn on me until later that might have been you. Was it?

How do you usually keep the Glock setup...as a 40 or 357? I have a 23 but have never cared to convert it to a 32 b/c the ammo is too expensive.

I've been pulled over 3 times since I've had it. Never been issued a ticket (for any reason) in those 3 times.   One WSP officer wanted to nail me on it but after calling in an Olympia PD officer and "dispatch" he conceded that it was entirely legal.  The time before that - two WSPs in unmarked rigs.  They were both actually fun to shoot the shit with (no pun intended).  And the last time was a WSP off a county road around midnight.  No issues.  He didn't say anything about it though.

And no, it wasn't me. I haven't been up in Bellevue for a couple of weeks now. However, I used to live up there.  I find myself carrying .357Sig most of the time and shooting .40 because it's less expensive.  I'm impressed with the ballistics of the .357 sig so I prefer to carry it.

And it's not very easy to actually see the pistol from another vehicle (if you're referring to like a stop light or a passer-by on the sidewalk)  The person would have to focus intently to even make it out.   As I mentioned, the angle is wrong and the passenger side car door does obstruct it from *most* angles.

-Rob
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I've been pulled over 3 times since I've had it. Never been issued a ticket (for any reason) in those 3 times.   One WSP officer wanted to nail me on it but after calling in an Olympia PD officer and "dispatch" he conceded that it was entirely legal.  The time before that - two WSPs in unmarked rigs.  They were both actually fun to shoot the shit with (no pun intended).  And the last time was a WSP off a county road around midnight.  No issues.  He didn't say anything about it though.

And no, it wasn't me. I haven't been up in Bellevue for a couple of weeks now. However, I used to live up there.  I find myself carrying .357Sig most of the time and shooting .40 because it's less expensive.  I'm impressed with the ballistics of the .357 sig so I prefer to carry it.

And it's not very easy to actually see the pistol from another vehicle (if you're referring to like a stop light or a passer-by on the sidewalk)  The person would have to focus intently to even make it out.   As I mentioned, the angle is wrong and the passenger side car door does obstruct it from *most* angles.

-Rob

Three times and not much said...Im surprised. I would have figured they would have nailed you. Thats refreshing!

I like the 357 but not enough to foot the ammo bill and add another caliber to my collection.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Dirtybird, thanks for the suggestion.   But that doesnt really appeal to me.  Looks too bulky.

I'm left handed.  So odds are, I dont plan on putting in at the center console.  I dont want to put it against the door, because if somehow, somebody does manage to get the door open, it'll be hard for me to grab the weapon.  

SKS,  where did you drill through the holster?  Does the screws get in the way when you reholster?

And those that dont agree with it? Why is it a bad idea?  Split seconds can make a difference.  If you're concealing,  I dont see how you can think this is a bad idea.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:14:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, I'm another lefthander myself.  Haven't ever clipped the safepacker into the seatbelt, as I've wanted to have the option to take it with me if I have to bail from the truck.

So, to draw from the safepacker on the transmission hump, it'd be pop the clip on the outside, lift it with my right hand, move it toward the center of my torso, then slide the left hand under the flap, get a grip on the pistol and pull free.  That's while I'm using my other two arms to drive.

It's sure not as fast as strong side hip from a standing position.  But if you get the hang of it, you can deploy pretty damn fast.  Main thing I like about the thing is that it's the best way I've found to make my piece invisible to my fellow citizens.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Dirtybird, thanks for the suggestion.   But that doesnt really appeal to me.  Looks too bulky.

I'm left handed.  So odds are, I dont plan on putting in at the center console.  I dont want to put it against the door, because if somehow, somebody does manage to get the door open, it'll be hard for me to grab the weapon.  

SKS,  where did you drill through the holster?  Does the screws get in the way when you reholster?

And those that dont agree with it? Why is it a bad idea?  Split seconds can make a difference.  If you're concealing,  I dont see how you can think this is a bad idea.

It's an Uncle Mike's Kydex Outside waistband holster.  Normally you have two machine screws to adjust the cant.  I just put screws all the way through where the cant adjustment holes were.  No about the screws getting in the way...I was concerned about that at first too but it manages. Not a scratch yet.  

Quoted:
I don't think I recall anyone saying it was a bad idea, it just turned in to a bit of a ribbing contest for fun, since SKSguy seemed to put a lot of extra effort in to it.

SKSGuy appreciates it.  It built character.  

-Rob
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#24]
It seems like all this talk about concealed carry and carrying openly in the vehicle kind of skates the actual problem. Maybe we should all worry about why our country is this strict and why we have all the serious crimes we have nowadays. Our ancestors would have just dealt with it but now we have to worry if we are going to be treated like criminals for protecting ourselves. There's something wrong here.

Just my opinion,

AKS101
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:33:44 AM EDT
[#25]
I allways have either a 340PD, Kahr PM9 or Seecamp on my person(I just can't crry a big gun well on my person), but when I am driving my USPf 45 rides in a Safepacker which is hung(with flap un-snaped) from the T-case shifter in my Cruiser, when I leave the car it goes in my bag(yeah I got lots of bags)  This is also what I carry when out in the woods looking at property, doesn't look like a holster, more like a camera bag.

Quoted:
I can't say enough good things about my Wilderness Safepacker.  In a nutshell, it's a cordura envelope/pouch for a pistol.  It rides nice and pretty on the transmission hump when I drive, or in my off hand when I'm walking around.  You can also attach it directly to your seat belt if you prefer.  

It looks like a case for carrying CDs, or some kind of man purse.  Only one person has ever made me as packing when I had it in my hand.  There's some stigma, I guess, to letting people think you've got a man purse / fag bag.  But, I'll take that if it means having my 1911 handy.

Main drawbacks are a slower draw and the possibility of being separated from your weapon.  But all in all, it's been a good system for me, in and out of the car.

Check it out

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top