Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2006 7:46:24 PM EDT
Is it ok to tumble loaded brass? I am thinking the heat and static might be detrimental to my health. but I have just gotten a metric assload of tarnished live rounds
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is it ok to tumble loaded brass? I am thinking the heat and static might be detrimental to my health. but I have just gotten a metric assload of tarnished live rounds

Is the shinyness of the brass gonna effect the way it's going to shoot???

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#2]
No. Tumbling may change the burn rate of the powder, generally considered a very bad thing.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:59:10 PM EDT
[#3]
That's a debate that will probably never die.

Keep the time short say, 10-15 minutes and you shouldn't have any of the dire results that some say can happen and others say won't happen.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
No. Tumbling may change the burn rate of the powder, generally considered a very bad thing.

If that were the case, then the burn rate would have been altered as it was trucked (and vibrated/bounced) from the manufacture to the supplier (and possibly again from the supplier to you).
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:12:23 PM EDT
[#5]
What tumbleman & Phil said.

I got some really badly tarnished/ borderline Guatemalan 5.56 real cheap. 10 minutes iirc, cleaned up real nice, shot ok.

I dont hang out around the tumbler though. I had had my one 'nose to primer strike' for my one time in this lifetime, in my hand no less.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:13:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I've heard both sides of the debate. Why play with fire.

Transporting bulk containers of powder wouldn't impart the intense vibrations one would get from an actual tumbler. Powder burn rate is typically controlled by the coating and granule size. Rub them against each other enough and the coatings might be altered. If the burn rate changes in the slightest then the ammunition won't be consistent and accurate, fine for general blasting but not for hunting or competition.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:32:22 PM EDT
[#8]
this will be for general blasting ammo. I dropped by a recycling place today to pick up some .223 brass because they get stuff from a lot of ranges and fort lewis.

They had a few fellas sorting the nickel cases out and they had a 5 gallon bucket of loaded ammo next to it. Big mixed bag here, I got mainly 9mm lots of 45 some 38 about 1k of .223 and various other calibers. I am culling the primer strikes now and I want to polish up someof this stuff for plinking ammo. I figure if I sell 1k rounds of 9mm I will get my money back.

This is not a sales pitch but I am gonna have LOTS of 9mm and 45 ammo at the LCR, bring your carbines and pistolas

Damn bucket weighed 108 pounds
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:32:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I have tumbled loaded bullets without any problems. I haven't had any detonations yet.  Although it really is a good idea to polish your brass before you load it!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:51:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Odt, thank you for that concise answer to my question. I realize there is a debate about it now but I will go with the experts and not tumble it in a tumbler. how about a barrel of media rolled around the yard a bit:) I could work some of my fat ass off at the same time as I shine my brass!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:36:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Berzerker77,  IM sent to you yesterday in regard to my 22/45.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top