Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 1:39:16 PM EDT
How hard is it to obtain a class 3 firearms license in Washington? How do you go about doing it? Plus what does it cover, I know different states have different laws, like a lot of states do not alow full auto even with a class 3 license.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
a lot of states do not alow full auto even with a class 3 license.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How hard is it to obtain a class 3 firearms license in Washington?

Dealer, manufacturer, or importer?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:49:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Being an NFA dealer in Washington is a possibility, but it does cost a lot of money.  If you don't have an actual retail location, it will be very hard (but not impossible) to get the required licenses from both ATF and the state.  If your plan is to go this route strictly to get NFA items, be mindful that ATF WILL bust you eventually and charge you with tax evasion!  It has been done.  If you are actively involved in doing LE and MIL demos, and buying and selling stuff, you won't have a problem.  

Lots of info here:
www.atf.gov/firearms/nlc/index.htm

Anyway, here are the base costs:
NFA Dealer (not a manufacturer or importer.)
Type 1 or 2 FFL - $200/3 years
SOT - $500/year
State Dealer license - $125/year
State Business license - $15 (one time)
City busines license - $55/year (for Renton, other cities may/will vary)
$762/year in Fees.  This is before you sell a single item, and does not include rent for a retail location.  Once you have retail sales, you get to tack on B&O taxes (once you exceed the small business deduction threshold that is.)

NFA Dealer & Manufacturer (as well as importer.)
Same as above, but add the following:
$150/3 years - Type 7 Manufacturer license
$1,750/year ITAR fee.
$2,562/year in fees.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:34:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow, I just wanted to be able to do an SBR project on an AR15. So unless I win the lottery I don't think I'll be doin it. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:14:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Ah heck, what do you spend in ammo a year?  How much for lift tickets?  Booze?  Taxidermy? Cigs?  

Yea, Class 3 is definitely one of the cheaper hobbies I've seen.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:47:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Please forgive me ignorance - I just want to make sure I'm right to be hopeless.
There's no way for a civilian to do an SBR in WA, correct?  

I mean no way short of becoming a phony dealer and getting busted for tax evasion, or doing an AOW with no shoulder stock and therefore no ability to hit a damn thing?

I think I'm SOL, but I just want to be sure.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#7]
AR pistol!

Works great in my opinion..

Use a standard 7" buffer tube and wrap it in paracord(or get the ACE tube), and you can easily get a somewhat proper cheekweld to use the sights.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Please forgive me ignorance - I just want to make sure I'm right to be hopeless.
There's no way for a civilian to do an SBR in WA, correct?  

I mean no way short of becoming a phony dealer and getting busted for tax evasion, or doing an AOW with no shoulder stock and therefore no ability to hit a damn thing?

I think I'm SOL, but I just want to be sure.

Youre SOL...on the bright side WA borders states that allow things like this (free states). So, Im wondering if anyone here runs the border and rents in a free state? If so where and how much does it cost? This might be a more productive way of getting what you want. At least its a way to scratch the itch.

Another avenue of attack might be to form an out of state corp. (you would be a corp officer thus fun gun allowed) which would buy and 'own' the fun guns. Youd need to find a place to keep them secure in that state (rent safe space from a dealer?). It would be significantly less expensive and if you moved to a free state then the guns could come along w/ you (after doing the ATF paperwork to physically relocate the fun gun(s)). I was looking into this before work got hectic and still have more research left.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you sir!

Well, if my career plans pan out, I'll be moving to Portland, in the free state of Oregon.  So maybe I should just hold off on that AR purchase until then, and get what I really want.  That's a really cool idea about the corporation though - if I'm delayed in the move, that route would be the way to go.

I like WA well enough, and the CPL laws are good, but we've got some mighty dippy laws.  Why can I own a suppressor, but not put it on a weapon?  What kind of sense does that make?

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
That's a really cool idea about the corporation though - if I'm delayed in the move, that route would be the way to go.

I like WA well enough, and the CPL laws are good, but we've got some mighty dippy laws.  Why can I own a suppressor, but not put it on a weapon?  What kind of sense does that make?

As I said, my corp idea is only half baked and I still need to do more research on it. However, the basic idea seems sound.

Id still be interested to hear from anyone who knows about renting in OR or ID.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:07:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:  If you don't have an actual retail location, it will be very hard (but not impossible) to get the required licenses from both ATF and the state.

+1

The ATF could care less in licensing you without a retail shop if your background is clear and you don't blow your interview. They get their money up front and like to take it. It is possible to get your FFL from the feds and then not be able to use it since you need a local license and they don't play well together depending on where you are located. The state, city, and county will be where you might hit road blocks.  If you want to do the manufacturing license then you are in for the full meal deal with more hoops to jump through.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:  If you don't have an actual retail location, it will be very hard (but not impossible) to get the required licenses from both ATF and the state.

+1

The ATF could care less in licensing you without a retail shop if your background is clear and you don't blow your interview. They get their money up front and like to take it. It is possible to get your FFL from the feds and then not be able to use it since you need a local license and they don't play well together depending on where you are located. The state, city, and county will be where you might hit road blocks.  If you want to do the manufacturing license then you are in for the full meal deal with more hoops to jump through.

Well, from the app they seem to care very much and want the Ts crossed and Is dotted. I have an 03 and I had to supply proof that Im allowed to have FAs where I live and that there are no ordinances against having/storing them. So it appears that they do care. I also thought that 01s really did need to have a space for their retail business. That is if its in your house then the ATF views the entire place subject to search for the purpose of audits. I think even if it wasnt an ATF requirement Id want a separate space.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Well, from the app they seem to care very much and want the Ts crossed and Is dotted. I have an 03 and I had to supply proof that Im allowed to have FAs where I live and that there are no ordinances against having/storing them. So it appears that they do care.

It is pretty obvious there are hoops to jump through. Nothing you have listed IMHO is appears to be a roadblock. Just becasue its legal as far as laws in your state doesn't mean that "Locally" they are gonna give you the lisences and such that you need. The point being the ATF may not be the hard part of getting this done money aside IMHO.

I also thought that 01s really did need to have a space for their retail business. That is if its in your house then the ATF views the entire place subject to search for the purpose of audits. I think even if it wasnt an ATF requirement Id want a separate space.

The "Space" for retailing can be your house so case in point it doesn't have to be a specific seperate addressed/rented space as implied by Scollins. It is a common misconception that you can't sell out of your home. Your house does become your auditable space if you use it for the license as I read it.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:47:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well, from the app they seem to care very much and want the Ts crossed and Is dotted. I have an 03 and I had to supply proof that Im allowed to have FAs where I live and that there are no ordinances against having/storing them. So it appears that they do care.

It is pretty obvious there are hoops to jump through. Nothing you have listed IMHO is appears to be a roadblock. Just becasue its legal as far as laws in your state doesn't mean that "Locally" they are gonna give you the lisences and such that you need. The point being the ATF may not be the hard part of getting this done money aside IMHO.

I also thought that 01s really did need to have a space for their retail business. That is if its in your house then the ATF views the entire place subject to search for the purpose of audits. I think even if it wasnt an ATF requirement Id want a separate space.

The "Space" for retailing can be your house so case in point it doesn't have to be a specific seperate addressed/rented space as implied by Scollins. It is a common misconception that you can't sell out of your home. Your house does become your auditable space if you use it for the license as I read it.

I didnt say you couldnt operate out of your house..at least thats not what I meant to convey. Its highly unwise to do so. If you operate out of your house instead of a separate unjoined space then your entire house can be searched etc as part of the annual audit or any other circumstances where the ATF decides it needs to search or view your business space.

Right, on the first part I agree...the hard part most certainly wouldnt be the ATF if your local govt has ordinances against gun related things. Also if you rent and the lease specifically talks about no guns then the ATF wont issue either. Potentially there can be many roadblocks nonATF related. It didnt used to be this way...at one time the ATF didnt become involved in this sort of thing and assumed you were in compliance at the state/local levels and if you rented/leased you were also obeying that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top