Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2006 7:22:31 PM EDT
I'd LOVE to know...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I doubt SC knows anything. CK left on Tuesday so hopefully he gets around to writing one of us in the next few weeks. If he writes me I'll post what he says.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:23:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Since SC was just down there, I thought he might be able to give us a blow by blow of Ck's first week. I certainly remember mine and that was 35 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Ahh yea.. Well I know for the Army we sat in reception for about 10 days getting all our uniforms and inprocessing. Those 10days seriously make you want to quit and leave right then.  It was extremely boring and pointless the majority of time...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:33:51 PM EDT
[#4]
My zero week was taking tests, filling out forms and getting shots. At the end of the week the Drill Instructors showed up. After that I tried to shut up, because every time I opened my mouth I got in trouble.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:19:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Probably hasn't changed much since '85. DI screaming as soon as the door on the bus from the airport closes. Yellow footprints, more screaming DI's, read a bit of the UCMJ on a billboard, msDI's, inventory and sign for a seabag full of 782 gear, the "if you have anything growing on your head that you do not want cut off, put your finger on it",msDI's, "this won't take long, did it" haircut. (Just insert msDi's at 10-15 second intervals for the next 48 hours, then at random intervals for the next 78 days.)  One set of funny colored clothing and "WTF do I have to wear these?" boxer shorts. Classroom setting, filling out paperwork, boxing up anything that relates to the world outside of MCRD. Couple hours of sleep followed by chow before everybody else on base, eggs shoulda been in a glass. Endless mob-marching while being instructed in proper close order drill. Re-taking the ASVAB in a stupor after a couple days of sleep deprivation, followed by another battery of advanced testing if you score high on the test. Never a dull moment, either marching or receiving instruction when not filling out paprerwork.

Yes I realize it's a run-on but that is what the whole first week or so, called "receiving" is. It is probably the foundation of the breakdown phase of the behavior modification process.

BTW the screaming DI's referred to here are just handling receiving. He'll probably get to meet his DI team today if enough recruits have arrived.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:40:10 AM EDT
[#6]
1811GNR- Maybe not in the Corps but in the Army-
You obviously have not heard about Stress cards, Cheeseburgers in Basic and a whole host of other kinder, gentler, friendlier shit that has gone in Ft Benning and other training posts since the mid-90's.

There are many things that have changed alot.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#7]
You went to Benning Matt? Thought you went to relaxin Jackson. I have heard they no longer use the stress cards as it was just a experimental thing(although I may be wrong). But, yes, Basic is nothing like what most of us went through. Its is more touchy feely these days, cant hurt  mamas little man, now can we.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#8]
There were no stress cards at Benning last year but there certainly was cheese burgers, chocolate milk, ice cream, pie etc :) Got some passes on Sunday to hit up the recreation center..TV, Food, Phones, Internet etc.   It all just depends on your specific drill sgts.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:11:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
1811GNR- Maybe not in the Corps but in the Army-
You obviously have not heard about Stress cards, Cheeseburgers in Basic and a whole host of other kinder, gentler, friendlier shit that has gone in Ft Benning and other training posts since the mid-90's.

There are many things that have changed alot.

And about those stress cards.
http://www.snopes.com/military/stress.htm

Probably something that was handed out to give pointers on how to deal with stress, and it just balloned from there.  You know how rumors are. And it's concievable that some dumb private (weren't we all, though there are levels?) actually thought it was some way to ask for a break.

Sort of like how everyone hears about those low stress Basics that the Army is always just starting  up ever since before I came in ('92), but nobody seems to have actually been in.  Well, mine was pretty cake actually.

But still, rec center, TV, internet?!?  We got phones on Sundays, and during the middle weeks we were able to go to the PX fairly regularly, but no soda until after the first 9 or 10 weeks in the difac, no rec center, ok the internet wasn't big, but not allowed tv either.  I think we were allowed to watch the Super Bowl.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I haven't received any mail yet. I'm sure he is trying to get into the flow of things. Probably not much free time at the moment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top