Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2005 1:01:43 PM EDT

I thought that's what the gas tax was for.  

New changes/fees effective January 1, 2006
Vehicle owners in Washington will notice new fee changes on their next tab renewal notice.  New laws created will affect the fee total for most vehicles.
Vehicle owners are now required to provide current driver license information for all owners when registering a vehicle for the first time or renew their license tabs.

Several fees were created or increased by the state Legislature as part of a plan to fund 274 critical transportation projects over the next 16 years.  These projects are located across Washington state and will help improve highway safety and freight mobility.  It will also reduce traffic congestion.

The new weight-based fee will be due on most motor vehicles that are currently subject to the state's basic $30 license tab fee.  This new fee, collected along with the $30.00 basic licensing fee and any other taxes and fees due, will be charges as follows:

●  $10.00 for vehicles that weigh 4,000 pounds or less
 ●  $20.00 for vehicles that weigh between 4,001 and 6,000
 ●  $30.00 for vehicles that weigh between 6,001 and 8,000
 ●  $75.00 for motor homes regardless of actual weight
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:17:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#2]
How can you have 274 critical transportation projects? 10 or 20 I can see. If they are so critical why are they taking 16 years to complete them?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank God we have a surplus!!

Bitch!

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hey your Govenors' gotta eat too.

Bitch!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Bitch?

You guys are too nice.  

I am thinking more along the lines of Cee yoU Next Tuesday.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:38:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Bitch?

You guys are too nice.  

+1
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Was the monorail fee still there?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Was the monorail fee still there?

No monorail to Whidbey Island last time I looked.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:03:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Bitch?

You guys are too nice.  

MORE LIKE
Can't Understand Normal Thinking
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#10]
We need Tim!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
We need Tim!

TimmAH had an article in the PI on Thursday.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#12]
and dont forget if yuo need a new plate its $20............and if you want to keep your old plate #...........its another $20

I have 10 cars that I lic and insure...........happy happy joy joy :D

but really its still WAY better than back a few years when I was paying over 1k a year for tabs for just one Cruiser.........so I just try to not be bothered by it now.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#13]
d'ohhh! I suppose the massive gridlock, and damaged bridges south of Eatonville needs to be fixed. Or maybe the bitch needs to pay off the vote counters and ruling judges?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
d'ohhh! I suppose the massive gridlock, and damaged bridges south of Eatonville needs to be fixed. Or maybe the bitch needs to pay off the vote counters and ruling judges?

Nope, they're digging tunnels under Beacon Hill.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#15]
You guys should buy a boat. I just paid over $800 for RTA tax on my boat. When I asked what I got for my money, the girl just laughed. My boat on the freeway, you bet.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Thursday, December 29, 2005

2006 initiative: Save our $30 tabs

TIM EYMAN
GUEST COLUMNIST

Nobody trusts politicians. Why? Because politicians don't keep their promises. There are endless examples, but in 2006, we're going to work very hard on an initiative that highlights a particular promise:

Gary Locke promised: "$30 license tabs are here to stay."

Renton Republican Brian Thomas promised: "I don't think you're going to find anyone around here who's against the $30 car tabs."

Seattle Democrat Erik Poulsen promised: "The car tabs won't rise under any circumstances."

Seattle P-I: Whatever happens, Locke and high-ranking politicians from both parties have said, voters have made it clear they do not want a motor vehicle excise tax.

"The license-tab fee in our state was one of the most hated taxes," Locke said.

For decades, Washington's taxpayers, especially working families and senior citizens, were tortured with tab fees reaching hundreds and, many times, thousands of dollars every single year for their cars, light trucks, SUVs, vans, motorcycles, motor homes, RVs, campers, travel trailers and other vehicles. For decades, struggling taxpayers implored politicians to relieve this unfair, crushing burden. For decades, politicians arrogantly dismissed the average taxpayer's plight, while at the same time handing billions of dollars in tax breaks, subsidies and spending like candy for powerful special interest groups.

Plenty for the big guys, nothing for the little guy.

With decades of proof that politicians would forever ignore this festering problem, we tried to do something about it. In 1998, we sponsored an initiative. We worked extremely hard, came close, but didn't get enough signatures. Did politicians respond? No.

So we tried again. In 1999, we sponsored I-695, "The $30 License Tab Initiative," and the public's response was overwhelming. We got more than 514,000 signatures, the second-highest number in state history. Big business, big labor, politicians and the media unified to defeat this tax cut for the little guy, but despite being radically outspent, the voters overwhelmingly approved it. But because of the now-infamous single-subject rule, the courts vetoed our initiative.

It was at this point that politicians stepped forward, claiming they got the message. The votes in the House and Senate were near unanimous and the governor promptly signed $30 tabs into law. Politicians' promises were unambiguous, summed up by Locke: "We should carry out the people's will and make sure that we keep the tabs at $30."

Despite these promises, taxpayers were still being charged more than $30.

So we tried again. In 2002, we pushed Initiative 776, "$30 Tabs for Everyone." Even though it was approved by voters and upheld by the Washington Supreme Court, state and local governments are still collecting taxes and fees above $30.

The arrogance is overwhelming.

Public trust in government is at an all-time low. Politicians need to look in the mirror and realize that it's their broken promises that have caused this distrust. Next year's initiative -- "Save Our $30 Tabs" -- is an invaluable opportunity to remind politicians that we expect them to live up to their promises.

For average taxpayers, it's darn expensive owning vehicles. Monthly vehicle payments are a huge part of our family budgets, as are gas bills, insurance, parking, tires and repairs. We have to pay a huge sales tax when we buy vehicles and a huge gas tax when we use our vehicles. We're already paying more than our fair share.

Oregon and Idaho charge a flat, low, reasonable fee to license a vehicle.

There's no reason it can't work that way in Washington, too. Don't let politicians ignore our two votes, break their promises and return us to outrageously expensive tabs. Help us save our $30 tabs.

Tim Eyman is co-sponsor of "Save Our $30 Tabs," www.SaveOur30Tabs.com.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/253719_tabs29.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top