Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2005 9:20:36 AM EDT
the columbia, that is...

just trying to see the pros and cons of living in oregon vs. living in washington.

i'm not sure where i'm going to be working, however it's possible i could be working in both states (2 jobs for a few months).

but, there's a pretty good chance my primary job function will be in oregon.  not 100% sure yet, though.

anyways, i'd just like any info either way to help with the decision.  personally, i like both states, so far.

thanks all!
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:35:29 AM EDT
[#2]
No sales tax in Oregon
If you're prepared, early in line, and have everything in order, getting a driver's licence, vehicle registration, smog check (required only in a few counties) and registering to vote only takes a few hours. Oregon DMV Info

You can own suppressors and machine guns in Oregon.
You can get a carry permit in Oregon.  Problem is that Oregon doesn't recognize may other permits, so reciprocity usually doesn't apply.

AIUI, owning Class 3 toys and getting a CCW depend on the county you reside in.  Some are better than others.  Washington County (West of Portland) is pretty good.  Multanomah (contains most of Portland and is fairly liberal), forget the class 3 stuff.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 10:11:38 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the replies!

most likely, it would be multnomah or clark... although i might have to check out washington county to see what that's about.

machine guns aren't a huge concern to me for now, it will be some time before i want to invest in that (cost-prohibitive).  however, sbr's and suppressors do have a good bit of interest for me.

also, how difficult is it to get a non-resident OR permit if you live in washington, or vice-versa?

either state i live in, i'll probably spend a lot of time in both states.  and, i'd really like to get a carry permit (for both states).  we didn't have those back home , but it's a lot different out here, too ;P

i'm pretty darn sure i'm not going to live in portland.  my aunt says i should get a studio in the perl, but i don't think that would go over too well.

so far, from what i've seen that i think looks fairly decent, vancouver, hillsboro, beaverton.  i think i was in lake oswego after dark one night, which looks pretty nice, but probably cost-prohibitive for living.  camas and washougal are ok, but nothing overly exciting.

gresham wasn't too exciting, tigard and tualatin i'm fairly neutral on.  but, i might be working in tigard, so that may be something to consider if for no other reason than less commute time.

ugh, decisions, decisions.  i figured i'd just be in washington when i came up here, but now i figure i just as well weigh my options.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

also, how difficult is it to get a non-resident OR permit if you live in washington, or vice-versa?

For an OR resident to get a WA CPL, is easy.  

For a WA resident to get an OR CHL, it's possible, but requires MUCH more jumping through hoops.

BTW- I believe that OR residents shopping in WA have the WA sales taxes waved at the time of purchase.

OR has no sales tax, but has an income tax.

As far as I can tell living in WA and commuting to Tigard would be the suck, because of the commute.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Oregon:
- Can own and use NFA items
- Shall issue carry permit for residents only.
- Carry permit not valid anywhere else usually (get a Utah one)
- Mulnomah county is 10.25% income tax (rest of Oregon is 9%)
- No sales tax
- Slightly higher property tax

Washington:
- No machineguns can be used (can be owned)
- No income tax
- Sales tax

Ummm....that's what I've got.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 10:20:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You can own suppressors and machine guns in Oregon.

You can own a supressor inWA

...but can't use them there

If you have a OR CCW, WA recognizes it.  Doesn't the other way however.

Link Posted: 12/10/2005 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:If you have a OR CCW, WA recognizes it.  Doesn't the other way however.

Since when does WA accept an OR CHL?

Last I knew an OR CHL was not honored in WA.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

According to www.fullautofun.homestead.com/page36.html, you can't discharge rounds through a firearm while one is installed!  What's the point in owning one if that's the case?
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't forget full service gas in OR is mandatory, and you pay more per gallon.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

According to www.fullautofun.homestead.com/page36.html, you can't discharge rounds through a firearm while one is installed!  What's the point in oning one if that's the case?

Anyone that uses that argument on ARFcom should have his Mancard Revoked!..

The only things that keep me from Oregon. ( I have lots of family there and I do like the area).

There are very few jobs that pay worth a shit.

Everyone in Roseburg looks the same for some reason, and they  all look just like this --->

The Job market sucks.

Oregon is not really known for anything.

The Job market sucks.

People seem to be to retarded to even be able to pump their own gas.

There are few jobs that pay worth a shit.

The Job market sucks.

On that note,

I say since you have a job, You should move to Oregon!
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#12]
actually, as far as gas goes, i've seen several gas stations in oregon with the same price as that of washington.

i almost bought a couple dollars in gas the other night at an amco or whatever, simply because it was $2.05, and i didn't have to pump it.

my real dilema is this.

i have a job in vancouver.  they want me to start monday, at a car dealership.  i didn't come out here to sell cars, and i've twice left the auto sales business back home (either burnout or no $$).

the money potential is WAY higher than the job in tigard (which i should know about this weekend).  but, i want to go back to school (training/certifications, more specifically), and i can't do that in the car business.  it's harder to have a social life, etc.  putting my intended career goals on hold another year just doesn't seem like a sound plan, especially at 25 years old.  but, the money has the POTENTIAL to be decent.

the job in tigard isn't particularly exciting, but it shares the same general industry as my career goals, and it would allow me to have an actual schedule that i could fit in school/training, or even maybe an actual social life  i also have a firm in portland that's getting work for me, and might have some good stuff in the future.  i already have a short contract next week with some grunt work, which is probably a test and gateway for more down the road.

for the fields i am looking into, it's probably most likely either portland or seattle.

i dunno, they're both nice places, and it's a pretty tough decision about work.  i tell you what though, the first paycheck i get, i'm spending a day in tillamook.  it's been probably 10 years since i've been out there, or seen the ocean period.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:If you have a OR CCW, WA recognizes it.  Doesn't the other way however.

Since when does WA accept an OR CHL?

Last I knew an OR CHL was not honored in WA.

I stand corrected.  We in Oregon get a Utah non-resident license which is good for most of the country (AK AL AR AZ CO DE GA ID IN KY LA MO MN MS MT NC ND OH OK SD TN TX UT VA VT WA WY)
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I would not move to Oregon to sell cars. (but that is just me). As long as you are there for School, and then the job cool, If you are looking for something new to do...Fine...But You can sell cars anywhere.

Not dogging ya, Im older than you and already did my getting out and checking out the world. (look where the hell I ended up!)  Everyone needs to do their own thing...So have a good time!
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 11:55:10 AM EDT
[#15]
lol, well, my intent was very much not to move to the pacific nw to sell cars.  it's a complicated mess that i ended up heading that way.

if i wanted to move some place to sell cars, i'd move to vegas

well, i think then if i end up working in oregon, i'll probably live there.  unless maybe i get a job in downtown portland, then it makes it about equal (commute).

edited for spelling
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
if i wanted to move some place to sell cars, i'd move to vegas

Now I would think about that move myself!
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
well, i think then if i end up working in oregon, i'll probably live there.  unless maybe i get a job in downtown portland, then it makes it about equal (commute).

Have you tried going north over the bridge at about 4-5 PM? Yikes.

If you have a place to stay I think you should just take your time and get the work lined up before you lock yourself into a lease. That is what I am doing.

I'm not sure where I will live, but I work downtown. I am definitely considering one of those nice new lofts in the Pearl. There are also a bunch of condos on the river. Decisions decisions...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:33:13 PM EDT
[#18]
not to bump my own thread... BUT.

well, looks like i'm working in oregon, at least most of it

part of the big initial reason for considering oregon was because i don't want to battle the mighty I-5 during rush hour

anyways, if i go to oregon, probably look at probably primarily beaverton/hillsboro, with tigard/tualatin/clackamas being secondary.

my aunt suggests a loft in the pearl, but there are a couple of problems.  cost-prohibitive, a reasonable monthly fee (so far) for an apartment is like 485 square feet.  my last apartment, my bedroom was 407 sq. ft.  i have some nice furniture, and practically a home office i have to think about.  plus, i'm not sure how well hauling gun cases around the perl will hold up  the perl is definitely a cool area, though, and would be fun.

i still like both sides though.  still a tough choice, but i'm kinda thinking, well, if oregon takes a cut from my job there anyways, might as well get as much back as i can (sales tax).

i will definitely be making sure work is very squared away... but i do need to get my own place when i can (long story).
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:45:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
As far as I can tell living in WA and commuting to Tigard would be the suck, because of the commute.

This is a "double buttfuck" situation.  The commute isn't the worst part, it is taxing issues.  Since you would be working in Oregon, you'd have to pay Oregon state income tax.  BUT, you don't get any say in how that money is collected or used (ie taxation without representation.)  Living in WA, you pay state sales tax unless you do all your shopping in Oregon.  But if you buy a car or other big ticket item requiring registration, you get screwed with use tax at the time of registration (assuming you bought it in Oregon.)  Otherwise, you buy it in WA and pay the sales tax.  So you basically get it coming and going.

If the job is in Oregon, live in Oregon.  If the Job is in WA, I'm not sure what the best option is.  

Quoted:
Washington:
- No income tax
- Sales tax

WAY OFF on this one.  MGs are strictly verboten, unless you happen to have a grandfathered one.  Substitute "suppressor" for "machineguns" and your statement is accurate.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:41:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

If the job is in Oregon, live in Oregon.  If the Job is in WA, I'm not sure what the best option is.  

If the job is in Wa. then live in Washington.  If you live in Oregon and work in Washington, Oregon will still get it's money at tax time.  You just have to cut the check at the end of the year instead of the state taking a little out each paycheck (unless you have your Washington st. employeer do it for you).
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:48:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is a "double buttfuck" situation.  The commute isn't the worst part, it is taxing issues.  Since you would be working in Oregon, you'd have to pay Oregon state income tax.  BUT, you don't get any say in how that money is collected or used (ie taxation without representation.)  Living in WA, you pay state sales tax unless you do all your shopping in Oregon.  But if you buy a car or other big ticket item requiring registration, you get screwed with use tax at the time of registration (assuming you bought it in Oregon.)  Otherwise, you buy it in WA and pay the sales tax.  So you basically get it coming and going.

Quoted:
Washington:
- No income tax
- Sales tax

WAY OFF on this one.  MGs are strictly verboten, unless you happen to have a grandfathered one.  Substitute "suppressor" for "machineguns" and your statement is accurate.

If you live in one state and work in another, I don't think that you have to pay that state's income tax.  Just the tax of where you actually reside.  Unless Oregon has some truly fucked up tax laws.  But if that were the case, I think that Washington would ditch that sales tax exemption that Oregon residents have.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#22]
i've heard mixed stories.  apparently you still have to pay some of or's income tax, because you use the roads and that kinda stuff.  one person said you can get most of it refunded at the end of the year, someone else told me you don't get hardly any of it back at the end of the year (enough which i would probably make that up in local runs to the quickie mart for supplies in sales tax.. lol).

i'll have to look a little closer at the tax issue...
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:51:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
i've heard mixed stories.  apparently you still have to pay some of or's income tax, because you use the roads and that kinda stuff.  one person said you can get most of it refunded at the end of the year, someone else told me you don't get hardly any of it back at the end of the year (enough which i would probably make that up in local runs to the quickie mart for supplies in sales tax.. lol).

i'll have to look a little closer at the tax issue...

C.P.A.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Taxes.....Not my foavorite subject as I reside in WA and work Mostly in OR....

I pay everybit as much in OR taxes as any resident of OR when I work in OR. I only get exempt when I work in WA. It is a "Myth" that WA residents pay a little less. It is the same amount as a resident. OR collects its if you live there and work out of state, unless you are have partial residency, and they get it when you don't live there but work there. I work for a Oregon Company so I get the exemption when I work in WA, so it is the lesser of both evils at this point. Machine Guns aside...

With that said its pretty much a wash in the long run if you live on the boarder for funds. Yes paying OR all that tax sucks but I came from there so its chicken same same as I see it. Machine Guns aside. Property Taxes seem to be a bit higher in OR especially in Multnomah County and WA has sales tax, but where there is a give there is a take. Big ticket items can always be bought in OR...BTW Traffic sucks during rush hours. Not near the mess our neighors up North have but if I worked on the West side everyday I would consider living closer especially if I was young and single. I have had consruction jobs on the West side on Portland and live on the East side of Vancouver. Some days it would take an hour and a half and sometimes more to get home while the morning commute was 20 minutes. Got alot of time with my CD's on those jobs along with high Cell minutes...
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:02:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Taxes.....Not my foavorite subject as I reside in WA and work Mostly in OR....

I pay everybit as much in OR taxes as any resident of OR when I work in OR. I only get exempt when I work in WA. It is a "Myth" that WA residents pay a little less. It is the same amount as a resident. OR collects its if you live there and work out of state, unless you are have partial residency, and they get it when you don't live there but work there. I work for a Oregon Company so I get the exemption when I work in WA, so it is the lesser of both evils at this point. Machine Guns aside...

With that said its pretty much a wash in the long run if you live on the boarder for funds. Yes paying OR all that tax sucks but I came from there so its chicken same same as I see it. Machine Guns aside. Property Taxes seem to be a bit higher in OR especially in Multnomah County and WA has sales tax, but where there is a give there is a take. Big ticket items can always be bought in OR...BTW Traffic sucks during rush hours. Not near the mess our neighors up North have but if I worked on the West side everyday I would consider living closer especially if I was young and single. I have had consruction jobs on the West side on Portland and live on the East side of Vancouver. Some days it would take an hour and a half and sometimes more to get home while the morning commute was 20 minutes. Got alot of time with my CD's on those jobs along with high Cell minutes...

thanks for the info, i appreciate it.

ultimately i'm not really tied down to either anyways, so it's probably not a big issue.  i mean, for the first time in my life i live in not-nebraska.  i can try oregon, and if it truly sucks, i'll move to washington lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top