Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2005 4:04:40 AM EDT
This service brought to you by boredom.

According to Packing.org. You can mail order conceal carry permits from 9 states.

The states are:
Arizona, Connecticut, Florida, Maine, New Hampsjire, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Texas & Utah.
With permits from these non-resident mail-order states, you can carry in a maximum of 34 states.

If you would like to be able to carry in the maximum 34 mail-order ccw states, the minimum amount of permits are as follows:
Connecticut, Florida, Maine, Texas, Utah

*Note: A Utah Non-Resident permit is a recognized permit in WA state.

State licensing information/forms:

Connecticut: www.state.ct.us/dps/SLFU/index.html
Florida: licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/index.html
Maine: www.state.me.us/dps/index.html
New Hampshire webster.state.nh.us/safety/nhsp/documents/dssp260.pdf
Texas: www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlsindex.htm
Utah: bci.utah.gov/CFP/CFPHome.html

That is all.

-Rob

:EDIT:  New Hampshire added, thanks for that info Scollins!
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:55:33 AM EDT
[#1]
SHEEZE NOT ANNOTHER POST ABOUT THIS!  YOU'RE GOING TO..........Oh wait, Cool! Thanks man!

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:28:23 AM EDT
[#2]
You can get New Hampshire permits via mail too.  Exceedingly easy to do.  Fill out the application, send a copy of your current state ccw, and two weeks later, you've got your NH CCW license.  And, it is only $20!!

Application and instructions.
webster.state.nh.us/safety/nhsp/documents/dssp260.pdf

I'm surprised Packing.org missed it.....
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:55:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, NH is very easy but the rules have changed recently. In the past you could get a NH permit w/o having one from your home state. Now you must have a resident permit from your home state.  Getting the permit is also very inexpensive ($20) and no fingerprints or pics.  After I got my WA I sent my NH resident permit back to get it converted into a nonres. With a WA, VA and NH permit I can carry in 34 states.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yes, NH is very easy but the rules have changed recently. In the past you could get a NH permit w/o having one from your home state. Now you must have a resident permit from your home state.  Getting the permit is also very inexpensive ($20) and no fingerprints or pics.  After I got my WA I sent my NH resident permit back to get it converted into a nonres. With a WA, VA and NH permit I can carry in 34 states.

I count 25 27 states.

Alabama
Alaska
Colorado
Georgia
Idaho
Indiana
Kentucky
Louisiana
Michigan
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
New Hampshire
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wyoming
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:41:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, sorry I disremembered. Thanx for the correction. BTW why are you not counting the states they you hold permits in?? That would make it 28 which is the true number.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:02:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yes, sorry I disremembered. Thanx for the correction. BTW why are you not counting the states they you hold permits in?? That would make it 28 which is the true number.

27, since VA is on there.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the WA and FL non-resident.

On our vacation this summer we drove to Missouri, then Arizona and home. I was able to carry everywhere except the following:

Oregon - Must have a resident permit
Kansas - No CCW
I did have to Open Carry in New Mexico - Had a run in with a couple from California. Service station laughed at them when they went in asking to have the police called. My wife witnessed this as I was outside filling up the jeep.

We avoided California since they would have arrested me for my ARs, the normal capacity mag in my XD and the hot lips for my 10/22.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:19:34 AM EDT
[#8]
XD_FAN:
I'm confused about OR...packing.org says they have a nonresident permit but I can't find any info about it.

Funny story about NM, open carry and the Californians.  I lived there (SNM) for a time and found it very hospitable to gun owners and hunters.

BTW what mdl XD do you have? I just picked up a subcompact. I bought my son an XD last Christmas and found I liked it so much I wanted one for myself. (Yes, he was getting tired of me asking to shoot it.)  It sure fits my hands and points better than my beloved Glocks.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:28:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
XD_FAN:
I'm confused about OR...packing.org says they have a nonresident permit but I can't find any info about it.

They do, as written in their law they only issue non-resident permits to people in contiguous states. So California, Washington, Nevada and Idaho. Also, as I understand it, some stations in some counties refuse to issue it at all as a matter of policy. While it is a Shall-Issue state. It is not shall-issue for non-residents.  Apparently you need to provide compelling evidence that you have business there.  (Not neccessarily in the sense of commerce by the way.)

-Rob
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You can get New Hampshire permits via mail too.  Exceedingly easy to do.  Fill out the application, send a copy of your current state ccw, and two weeks later, you've got your NH CCW license.  And, it is only $20!!

Application and instructions.
webster.state.nh.us/safety/nhsp/documents/dssp260.pdf

I'm surprised Packing.org missed it.....

Oh dang it, you know, I must've completely missed that one.  I went over the states list again and saw that I did have it in there, unfortunately adding it to the already 8 mail-order states does not gain a single carry state :( HOWEVER, if you did your research there is a chance you might be able to drop one of the other states in favor of a NH permit and not have to pay the exorbatent fees possibly associated with the other CCW's on the above list

-Rob
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I think NH must be the least expensive of all nonres permits and NHSP are pretty quick about turning around applications. My last res premit was ready in a couple days (town PD). The timer is running for my nonres permit. Say what you will about eastern liberal states but there are a very few that still value personal freedoms and NH is one of them.

Thanx for the OR info. I've only been there once and that was just passing thru at night. The thing I recall mostly was that I wasn't allowed to pump my own fuel.  I was told it was a state law that I couldn't. If true that's really odd. Why would they codify such a thing???
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:58:00 PM EDT
[#12]

<------ I have the standard model XD.

Quoted:
XD_FAN:

Funny story about NM, open carry and the Californians.  I lived there (SNM) for a time and found it very hospitable to gun owners and hunters.

BTW what mdl XD do you have? I just picked up a subcompact. I bought my son an XD last Christmas and found I liked it so much I wanted one for myself. (Yes, he was getting tired of me asking to shoot it.)  It sure fits my hands and points better than my beloved Glocks.

Much like Washington you have to apply in person. And as others have stated some counties won't. We drove straight through Oregon both times and spent no money there.

I've been a wheel gun believer (other than 1911) for many years. I agree the XD feels and shoots great. I also have a Subcompact but it doesn't get much carry. I have lost count of how many rounds have been through my standard now. Probably up around 5,000 or so in the last two years. Everything from WWB to Wolf. Only thing I've every had problems with was two boxes of UMC. I had a couple of fail to fires and a blown primer. I will never buy UMC again.

Yeah, it was pretty interesting in New Mexico. I am a bit leary of open carry around lots of people but there wasn't any other way. The funny thing was I had no idea what was going on in the Food Mart as I was pumping gas and the wife had gone in to get ice. I did notice the woman at the pump next to me get all wide eyed. We got about 10 miles down the road before the wife told me about what happened inside.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:22:40 PM EDT
[#13]
XD_Fan
Thanx...I don't have any great desire to get a permit for OR. I just wondered what the drill was there b/c it wasn't clear from the sources I read.

My son has the std version XD. I'm sure we've put less than 1k thru it since last winter. We did have a problem w/ it just recently in that it wouldn't cock the hammer. During the open house at Discount Guns a couple weekends ago I mentioned this to the Springfield rep. He was kind enough to give directions where and how to clean it and how to take the slide apart (partially). It works just fine now. I'm going to carry my subcompact.

For folks who aren't used to guns and are fed a constant diet of 'guns are evil' I'm sure open carry is a real kick. It's really not rational as it's no less dangerous than if it were concealed. In this case I suppose ignorance would have been bliss.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Oh dang it, you know, I must've completely missed that one.  I went over the states list again and saw that I did have it in there, unfortunately adding it to the already 8 mail-order states does not gain a single carry state :( HOWEVER, if you did your research there is a chance you might be able to drop one of the other states in favor of a NH permit and not have to pay the exorbatent fees possibly associated with the other CCW's on the above list

-Rob

If you get a WA, OR, and NH, you cover 27 states.  I've thought about getting the UT and/or FL permits, but both have their issues, and would only add 5 states for me combined.  UT requires in-state training, and FL is rather expensive.  Not worth the hassle to add 5 measly states (MN, AR, DE, TX, FL.)  I do visit Las Vegas a little bit, so I've thought about getting my NV permit.

Some more thoughts:
I count 37 "Shall issue" states.  
Of those, you have no options in 3 states (SC, WV, NM.)  These states either don't issue out of state permits, don't have reciprocity with WA, or don't recognize reciprocity on non-resident out of state permits. In other words, they will recognize an out of state permit for TX let's say, but only if that permit holder is a TX resident.

The WA CCW covers 18 states.  Of the remaining states, UT and FL overlap 100%, with a slight edge to UT (for MN.)  You would still need FL though for FL, since they don't honor non-resident out of state, and don't have reciprocity with WA.  So with WA, FL and UT, you are good for 30 states.  To get to 36 states, you need to add 6 more permits, each adding one state (with some overlap.)  Those are OR, NV, NH, ME, CT and RI (not shall issue for out of state, iffy.)  That is a total of 9 permits!  Nuts.

7 states and DC have CCW permits, but you had better be a high ranking Democrat, very rich or very famous to get it.  (NY, CA, DC, IA, MA, MD, NJ and HI.)

4 states totally fuck over your rights and deny CCW:  IL, KS, NE, WI.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#15]
What about Nevada, what are the rules there? Do they allow CCW?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:28:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What about Nevada, what are the rules there? Do they allow CCW?

Yep, NV allows CCW and will issue to out-of-state residents.  BUT, you have to take a training class IN-STATE.  Also, in Clark County (Las Vegas) you have to register your handguns with the Las Vegas Metro Police Department.  I think you can have up to three pistols listed on the license, and you have to qualify with each.  Also, to apply in Clark County, the training has to have taken place in Clark County.  The initial license is $105 for 3 years, and renewals are $70 for 3 years.

www.packing.org/state/nevada/
www.lvmpd.com/Permits/Concealed_Firearms_Permit_.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top