Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2005 9:50:39 AM EDT

Southbound traffic on Interstate Five near the Tacoma Dome was stalled for more than an hour yesterday afternoon when a man climbed onto a traffic sign over the freeway. The man had done the same thing a year ago. In both cases, he was talked down by Washington State Patrol Trooper Johnny Alexander, who used a firetruck ladder to reach him. The man yesterday draped a banner off his perch about 3 p.m., about 30 feet above the freeway lanes. It apparently made a reference to President Bush, but was otherwise unintelligible. The man was then placed into custody and the freeway was reopened just after 4 p.m. His identity is not immediately available. At the height of yesterday's backup, traffic stretched from the Tacoma Dome north to Southcenter Mall in Tukwila -- nearly 20 miles away. State Patrol spokesman J.J. Gundermann said the man apparently had gone off medication to treat mental illness.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#1]
The sign probably says "I am illiterate because of Bush".
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Should have shot him out of the sign, would have saved everyone alot of time.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:27:00 AM EDT
[#3]
That's the second friggin time this year someone climbed up a sign in that area and screwed up traffic.  I think it's time to electrify the doggone things.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:36:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#5]
OK.  They need to check this guy into Western State.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I would have just left him up there, and kept traffic going...He got up there with traffic, he can get down with traffic..

Tied up traffic, Tied up a Fire Dept. ladder truck, Tied up some DOT rigs (Prob the most work they have seen in a month anyway) Tied up WSP troopers, and the danger he was in was very little to none. When He came down, give him his ticket, and send him on his way.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd just hate for him to fall in front of my Isuzu and wreck my front end.

If they'd line up all the folks that were caught in his nightmare and let them each give him a whack upside the head, we might be able to cure his mental illness.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow, I must've just missed that.  Crazy banner waiving lunatic

-Rob
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'd just hate for him to fall in front of my Isuzu and wreck my front end.

That is what Insurance is for.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Where do I sign up so that The Great State of Washington could enlist my services?

For absolutely free, I'd just let him stay up there gaining weight 55-62 grains at a time until gravity took over.

Fucking maroon.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Closer look appears that he was wearing a helmet....Now, was it for this incident, or is it prescribed?

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I think it was Cindy Sheehan's "campaign manager"
Liberal retard.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Where's a cowboy and a traffic copter when you need them?  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:04:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree with the "they should have shot him down" crowd.  I work at a dealership in fife and live on Puyallups south hill.  there were so many people getting off of I5 and taking surface streets, it took me an hour to make it across the puyallup river, thats less than 4 miles.  Next time he gets up there, one of the arfcom members stuck on the freeway because of him should take one for the team and get him down from  there for good.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Closer look appears that he was wearing a helmet....Now, was it for this incident, or is it prescribed?

www.thenewstribune.com/ips_rich_content/_hires/944-freeway-hires.jpg

Wearing a helmet you say....
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#16]
When you have ONE freeway, ONE person can bring the whole damn Puget Sound Area to a screeching halt.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#17]
What an Idiot. I wish he fell
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#18]
I agree with the sentiment that he got up there with traffic, he can get down with traffic.  While he was up on the sign, he wasn't interfering with traffic at all.  Therefore, traffic should not have been interfered with to get him down.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:49:59 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I agree with the sentiment that he got up there with traffic, he can get down with traffic.  While he was up on the sign, he wasn't interfering with traffic at all.  Therefore, traffic should not have been interfered with to get him down.

lot easier than trying to "fill him full of lead" and wasteing resources.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
OK.  They need to check this guy into Western State.

or send him to sunnyside where he can sit to himself like the piegon he is.....

OR IS IT  PIRATE SNIPER???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top