Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2005 5:20:24 PM EDT
Live pursuit broadcast on TV, just like CA.  Great...
I won't even say what I think should be done with these people.  
komotv.com/stories/39591.htm
www.kirotv.com/news/5058020/detail.html
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Live pursuit broadcast on TV, just like CA.  Great...
I won't even say what I think should be done with these people.  
komotv.com/stories/39591.htm
url]www.kirotv.com/news/5058020/detail.html

I was at the pub watching that on a big screen. Live entertainment. Have they figured out for sure if the perp WAS in fact a home invasion robber?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:02:25 PM EDT
[#2]
We were watching it at work, rooting for the guy to keep heading north so we could get a piece of the action. It was scary seeing  those well meaning citizens trying to end the chase and just causing him to crash into other vehicle and then race away twice as reckless, I was just waiting for a pedestrian to get nailed or for him to T-bone some poor soul in one of the intersections.......... I do admit it was pretty cool seeing him smash thru the fences on/off the golf course!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:10:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
We were watching it at work, rooting for the guy to keep heading north so we could get a piece of the action. It was scary seeing  those well meaning citizens trying to end the chase and just causing him to crash into other vehicle and then race away twice as reckless, I was just waiting for a pedestrian to get nailed or for him to T-bone some poor soul in one of the intersections.......... I do admit it was pretty cool seeing him smash thru the fences on/off the golf course!

I think that one pickup was a civvie, but I believe the suburban that helped him do a u-turn, and smack into the car, was an unmarked WSP vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:47:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:20:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like those tards in the production rooms are from Cali, and are bringing that bs up here.

High Speed chases shold be banned unless its a felony in progress. Too many innocents get killed. Call in a bird, shoot the fucker or his tires or whatever, but lets not drag this through 6 counties and lets not televise it. Unless it really occurs in Cali.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:09:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I think the banning of high-speed chases would increase the number of high-speed chases. If a criminal knows that all he must do to get away is try to outrun the cops, he will try to outrun the cops. That sort of environment would put us all in more danger, not less. I'm fine with a policy of no chases, but to ban them altogether? I think that would embolden criminals. In the same exact way I think that prohibiting conceal and carry would embolden them.

It was obvious from the footage that this person was a serial offender; he knew what he was doing. If it wasn't for the televised footage, the cops would have lost him several times. The media isn't a moral establishment. It may be morally wrong to televise some things, but it would be hard for me to stomach laws that prohibited the filming, reporting and televising things like this. The whole slippery slope, unintended consequences thing.

Also, because of the footage, and live feed, I was able to call my wife, who was on the 405 when the chase was taking place and warn her about what was happening a couple of miles north of her location... where she was heading.

Just my opinion,

~Icarus
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:51:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Are we in CA?

No. There is no sun. No babes. No "around the corner" liquor stores.
Hey, but on the "bright" side its October and its ONLY 9 MONTHS TILL THE SUN COMES BACK.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#8]
It was weak...
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I was just getting on the highway as the entire kirkland police force suddenly appeared behind me . I didn't realize it was a chase until the "cop" car in front suddenly got sideways and smacked the red pickup.

R-32 is sooo right. I watched on the DVR after I got home. I don't think I've ever seen a better behaved chasee. He'd slow down for lights, didn't run over the motorcyclist who was in his way for some time, etc.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:15:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that one pickup was a civvie, but I believe the suburban that helped him do a u-turn, and smack into the car, was an unmarked WSP vehicle.

The suburban was a civilian.  He was actually interviewed on later coverage.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 4:03:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Sounds like those tards in the production rooms are from Cali, and are bringing that bs up here.

High Speed chases shold be banned unless its a felony in progress. Too many innocents get killed. Call in a bird, shoot the fucker or his tires or whatever, but lets not drag this through 6 counties and lets not televise it. Unless it really occurs in Cali.

Very good point.  Too many people see this and do stupid things to either get on TV or play the part of hero.  Often, this gets more people hurt.  I say let the cops do their jobs.  If they make a mistake it's on them.  Try and avoid the situation if you can.  

I don't know if anyone caught the broadcast but the Kirkland PD handed over the case to a prosecutor.  The prosecutor is in deliberation as to charges for...I think it was vehicle assault and reckless endangerment....RE: the gentlemen in the SUV that felt emboldened enough to smash into the guy to play the hero.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I don't know if anyone caught the broadcast but the Kirkland PD handed over the case to a prosecutor.  The prosecutor is in deliberation as to charges for...I think it was vehicle assault and reckless endangerment....RE: the gentlemen in the SUV that felt emboldened enough to smash into the guy to play the hero.

That guy needs a medal instead of charges pending.

He may have saved Sally soccer Mom and her rugbrats from being Tboned down the road. Citizens should be encouraged to step up to the plate, not fear persecution by the local persecutor.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 3:01:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

+1.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#14]

He may have saved Sally soccer Mom and her rugbrats from being Tboned down the road. Citizens should be encouraged to step up to the plate, not fear persecution by the local persecutor.

Damn skippy!
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 12:26:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Lets assume boy wonder ran the car into a family van and caused servere injury to the passengers...possibly death.  Would he still deserve a medal?  I think not.  This is why LEO's *usually* do the PIT in less populated areas.  And sometimes when the pursuit is at a dangerous apex, they call off the chase.

This "hero" just got lucky he didn't hurt anyone.  Honestly I don't think he should be given any sort of fine in this instance only because he didn't hurt any bystanders. HOWEVER, if he had I believe it would be a justifiable move by LEO's/Prosecution to press charges.

In this case, it was a dumb move on this guys part. He was NOT trained and he, at the same time, directly indangered his own childrens lives. (I believe the news said the guys child/children was/were in the car at the time.)  This is what most people would call a vigilante.

My $0.02

-Rob

a good read:
web.mit.edu/gtmarx/www/citizens.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top