BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2005 3:30:44 PM EDT
Three Puyallup schools in lockdown during manhunt

BREAKING NEWS:
Three Puyallup schools in lockdown during manhunt

04:03 PM PDT on Friday, September 30, 2005

KING5.com

PUYALLUP, Wash. - Three Puyallup schools are in lockdown Friday afternoon -- Ferrucci Junior High, Wwildwood Park Elementarty and Sunrise Elementary -- while police and K-9 dogs search for an armed burglar.

KING

Police were searching for an armed burglar in Puyallup, in an area where three schools are located.

Police interrupted a burglary in a house in the 1800 block of 23rd Ave. SE, east of Wildwood Park at 1:45 p.m. Some shots were exchanged and police managed to arrest one suspect but the other is still on the loose.

He was described as a white male, wearing a blue sweatshirt and camouflage pants.

No one was injured during the shooting.

All the students are safe, but are not allowed to leave campus until the gunman is caught.

Authorities said parents may not come on campus. If parents already are on campus, they are being asked to stay in their vehicles.

More details will follow as they become available.

Went to pick up my 5 & 8 year olds from school, they wouldn't let anybody out or in.
Police sent us home about 4 pm. Still waiting to find out what's happening.

Idon't even know if the kids at school have been told why they can't leave. Nobody was giving the parents any information.

Both my kids are familiar with guns, but what about those who aren't? Seeing the cops out walking around in full tac gear with rifles is probably scary for them. Add the fact that their parents are not able to communicate with them.

I was against cell phones in schools, but I've definitely changed my mind.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I detest the use of the term lockdown when it's applied to anything other than a prision or a mechanism.

I came home one day a few years ago to find these guys running all over my apartment complex. Six or seven hours later they cleared out not having found whomever they were looking for.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#2]
My little sister is still at sunrise elementary.  my parents just told me they (the school) was getting ready to send kids home on the busses, or release them to their parents.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Kids are now home safe.

I appreciate the school's concern for their safety, but I know they would have been safe with me.  I'd also know what the f*ck was going on and be able to explain what was going on and answer any concerns, as well as be there to comfort them if needed. The lack of communication really pissed me off.

I'd also have told them the truth about what had happened, rather than some BS story about the BG's shoplifting at the mall like they told my 4th grader.

Come Monday I'll definitely be having a word with the principal.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Kids are now home safe.

I appreciate the school's concern for their safety, but I know they would have been safe with me.  I'd also know what the f*ck was going on and be able to explain what was going on and answer any concerns, as well as be there to comfort them if needed. The lack of communication really pissed me off.

I'd also have told them the truth about what had happened, rather than some BS story about the BG's shoplifting at the mall like they told my 4th grader.

I never did understand lying to children. What does that teach them? That it's ok to lie? I understand that some things should not even be told to a child, but when they are old enough to question certain things, then I think they are probably old enough to be told the truth.

(I am not a parent and do not play one on TV, and I have not slept in a Holiday Inn Express lately)

What was the outcome of this? Did they catch the BG?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Kids are now home safe.

I never did understand lying to children. What does that teach them? That it's ok to lie? I understand that some things should not even be told to a child, but when they are old enough to question certain things, then I think they are probably old enough to be told the truth.

(I am not a parent and do not play one on TV, and I have not slept in a Holiday Inn Express lately)

What was the outcome of this? Did they catch the BG?

My point exacttly. Not only that, but how can you expect anyone, child or not, to trust you when they know you've lied to them.
And the lie they told was really lame. Oh yeah, they send SWAT after shoplifters all the time....

They never caught the BG, they assume he left the area.
When I went to pick up the kids, thay had me fill out a form for what child, from which teacher, my name, and I had to show ID. The kicker was, they did not check my name against the school files, at least not that I saw.
As I said, I will be having a word with the pricipal.

Oh, apparently 7-10 officers responded to the initial burglary call. Shots were exchanged, and nobody was injured. 7-10 cops couldn't hit 1 BG. Time to hit the range.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Now there saying there was never a second gunman. WTF?!

Police believe only one man behind shooting

PAUL SAND; The News Tribune
Published: October 4th, 2005 12:01 AM

Puyallup police detectives think that only one man was involved in a burglary and shooting last week that sparked an hourslong manhunt and the lockdown of three Puyallup schools, a police spokeswoman said Monday.

Michael Joseph Fong, believed to be in his 20s, was arrested after Friday’s shooting. He initially told detectives that another man had been with him, and that the man had fled during the incident, Puyallup police spokeswoman Lorri Ericson said.

Fong, who was charged Monday with first-degree burglary, offered police a description of the man, the direction he ran and where he might have gone, but detectives now believe Fong acted alone, Ericson said.

“I don’t know if it was because (Fong) admitted it, or because they have come to that conclusion based on the interview,” Ericson said.

Bolstering the case for a second man, the owner of the house that Fong allegedly burglarized reported that two guns were missing, she said. Police found one of the weapons, a shotgun, outside the house but couldn’t account for the other one, Ericson said. The homeowner later told police that a relative had borrowed the second gun and he hadn’t known about it, she said.

The incident began shortly before 2 p.m. Friday when officers responded to a burglary in the 2400 block of 18th Street Southeast. Shots were fired, but Ericson said she’s not sure if an officer, Fong, or both discharged their weapons.

“Anytime there’s gunfire with an officer involved, it takes a lot of time to get the details,” she said.

Officers took Fong into custody, and he then told them a second man had fled during the gunfire.

Police sealed the area and launched a search, which lasted about six hours.

They also locked down three schools in the area, including Wildwood Park Elementary, 1601 26th Ave. S.E.; Sunrise Elementary, 2323 39th Ave. S.E.; and Ferrucci Junior High, 3213 Wildwood Park Drive.

More than 1,800 students from the three schools were held for hours as police searched the area for the man.

Puyallup School District officials announced at 5:30 p.m. that students could begin to leave the schools with their parents.

Puyallup police are continuing to investigate, Ericson said.

Paul Sand: 253-597-8268

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Now there saying there was never a second gunman. WTF?!

Bolstering the case for a second man, the owner of the house that Fong allegedly burglarized reported that two guns were missing, she said. Police found one of the weapons, a shotgun, outside the house but couldn’t account for the other one, Ericson said. The homeowner later told police that a relative had borrowed the second gun and he hadn’t known about it, she said.

uh...  no
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top