Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2005 11:20:13 AM EDT
Does anyone know of any places in the South-Sound (vicinity of Olympia/Tacoma) area to go rappelling without some sort of chaperone?  Perhaps some nice rock faces, or some fire towers or something where you don't need special permission (or perhaps only need easily obtainable permission) to rappell?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#1]
btt?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#2]
You should be able to find some places in the Capitol Forest, and its your land so you don't need permision, or you could head towards the Cascades, we rapell in the National Forest(on the Olympic Peninsula), same  permission needed there.

DD
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:14:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Neat.  I'll try to look into it.  Got any coords we should look into?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Heres were I Rappel from, so can you. There are Rappelling spots everywhere I go

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:00:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Index town wall in Sno Co.

Best Rock Climbing around, Lots of places to Rap...

What do you have in mind?

I have all the gear.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:36:35 AM EDT
[#6]
There's a couple of guys in my company who like rappelling, and we're interested in finding a place to have fun.  Rock faces are ideal, but walls and building are cool, too.  We just don't want/need to go through the process of reserving a spot, signing on rappell masters, and safeties, and signing wavers, etc.

Gear?  Gear is nice, but we're used to tying our own seats (not swiss seats ... there are *much* better rope seats than those) and using oval caribiners, so we don't need much
I think one of them is planning on getting his own ropes, too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I know where there is a one lane bridge 25 miles east of Puyallup over a canyon with a river in the bottom. I think its about 150-200 yards vertical from the bridge to the bottom. There is no traffic and we can play all day there. But we (or I) may have to ascend the rope we rappel I have not been to the bottom yet. I have been thinking about it for some time and i have a few ropes. Let me know I would like to go with you-all regardless of where you go.

As you see in the crappy picture above I top trees, so I do most of my rapelling out of them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:27:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Gear?  Gear is nice, but we're used to tying our own seats (not swiss seats ... there are *much* better rope seats than those) and using oval caribiners, so we don't need much
I think one of them is planning on getting his own ropes, too.

O.K. I remmember what that was like. But if you honestly think that any of the Modified Rope seats are better, then wait till you start using webbing to tie your seats, It packs down a lot smaller and dont cut into your thigh's so bad. I myself got out of the Basic trainging Ghetto slings and Biners, and have real harness's and 8plates.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh, I know webbing rigs are much better, safer, and more comfortable.  But these ain't no basic training rope seats, either.

Hey Coyote, do you have a rope that can get all the way down that 200yd drop?

We should discuss some of this at LCR ... especially if R-32 comes
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:45:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Oh, I know webbing rigs are much better, safer, and more comfortable.  But these ain't no basic training rope seats, either.

I have over 20 years of Technical Rescue with 10 years in Mountian Rescue and Helo crew, I have been climbing since I was 12 years old....

What seat are you talking about?...You have the Swiss seat (old school military way, good but will move aroung and tighten up around your nutsack ) Diaper seat (this one sux for yourself and if there is a failure you are dead meat, but works great if you are rescueing someone else because it is quick and can be put on with one hand) or a hasty seat (same thing as a Swiss seat but it has some extra hitches on the back so it dont lock up around your nutsack as easy, this is the same one tought by the Military Air assault school, I would say it is the best out of all of them, and also the most common tought to Firefighters and LEO's and SAR teams  who are too poor or cheap to have a good harness avail)

I guess Im saying, Name the seat because if there is some *Special* seat out there I have not seen it,  I teach High angle rescue classes and would love to see something new. I love to learn the newest up to date Ghetto ways, they are the ones I use the most.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't know the name of either of them, and right now I can only think on how to tie one of them.

To tie it, you take a bite near the middle of your seat rope, and place it near your navel.  You then run the ends of the rope under your legs and around your thighs to the bite.  You run the ends underneath and through the bite, bringing them back around and behind your back.  You then tie off the ends, hook up, and go.

The other one ... I can't remember right now how to tie it (I've never actually used it, just tied it once), but it's similar to the above seat.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Hey Coyote, do you have a rope that can get all the way down that 200yd drop?

We should discuss some of this at LCR ... especially if R-32 comes

I think I have three green GI ropes. These are what I use for safety line while I'm topping tall trees in case I cut a arm or leg off. I know two of them are 120' and one I think is cut down to 90'. I think we can tie all them to together and they will reach. But the trick is when you come to a knot you'll have to show me how to go around it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:22:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I think I have three green GI ropes. These are what I use for safety line while I'm topping tall trees in case I cut a arm or leg off. I know two of them are 120' and one I think is cut down to 90'. I think we can tie all them to together and they will reach. But the trick is when you come to a knot you'll have to show me how to go around it.

There are a few ways to get around it...You can buy a Russ Anderson Rescue 8 and hope your knot will pass through it, You can use a load releasing hitch and a second 8-plate, you can use prusik's or assenders to hold yourself while you do the switch/pass, or you can just go buy a longer rope.

Someday I will have weekends off, and I will be more than happy to take a group out to the tower, helo mock up, or town wall.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:56:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
There are a few ways to get around it...You can buy a Russ Anderson Rescue 8 and hope your knot will pass through it, You can use a load releasing hitch and a second 8-plate, you can use prusik's or assenders to hold yourself while you do the switch/pass, or you can just go buy a longer rope.

I was thinking of using the assenders.

ETAI wanted to correct what I may be mistaking. That bridge may be more like 120-140' up. I'm just not sure, but its high.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I was thinking of using the assenders.

If you are going to use Twist G.I. ropes I would use prusik's....Cheaper, safer gripping (IMO), and it wont tear the heck out of your rope.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top