Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2005 2:00:26 AM EDT
Since there appears to be no law prohibiting it, anybody have the big brass ones to openly carry?

Anybody have an Attorney General opinion on this?

I'm thinking taking the plunge and doing it under a few paticular circumstances.
-Rob
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:21:24 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:27:20 AM EDT
[#2]
The concept of "Open Carry" here does not grant private citizens blanket authority to carry a loaded handgun openly in public!

The trouble that is waiting for you all depends on where you plan to open carry at.

Go to downtown Bellevue while doing it and expect to be charged under:

RCW 9.41.270
Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm -- Unlawful carrying or handling -- Penalty -- Exceptions.

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

(2) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (1) above shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. If any person is convicted of a violation of subsection (1) of this section, the person shall lose his or her concealed pistol license, if any. The court shall send notice of the revocation to the department of licensing, and the city, town, or county which issued the license.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to or affect the following:

(a) Any act committed by a person while in his or her place of abode or fixed place of business;

(b) Any person who by virtue of his or her office or public employment is vested by law with a duty to preserve public safety, maintain public order, or to make arrests for offenses, while in the performance of such duty;

(c) Any person acting for the purpose of protecting himself or herself against the use of presently threatened unlawful force by another, or for the purpose of protecting another against the use of such unlawful force by a third person;

(d) Any person making or assisting in making a lawful arrest for the commission of a felony; or

(e) Any person engaged in military activities sponsored by the federal or state governments.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:18:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:18:28 AM EDT
[#4]
You are probable a very smart individual. But I think you may be lacking common sense. You are welcome to post your questions here, and we can give you a common sense approach to your problems, concerns and/or help keep you out of trouble.

I'm not posting this to flame you. For instance I have some common sense but I'm not the smartest chip off the block. A lot of people are not blessed with both some don't have either.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:38:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Talked to an LEO a while back about this.  He stated that you would be within your rights in some areas to open carry.  HOWEVER, he stated that I would probably end up seeing him real soon.  SOMEBODY would call the cops.  Expect to be arrested and to deal with a legal battle proving that you did not have any intentions beyond peacable journey.

Is it worth it?  Witnesses may say:

"He was threatening"
"He looked at me in a scary way"
"He was harrassing people"
"He looked like he was going to pull them out and start shooting at any moment"

Ask yourself, if YOU saw someone walking towards you with a thigh holstered pistol, and their hand was brushing against it, would you be nervous?  Would you draw on him because you felt threatened?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:45:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Would you draw on him because you felt threatened?

Like with a magic marker or just a plain felt tip?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:45:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Would you draw on him because you felt threatened?

Like with a magic marker or just a plain felt tip?

Was thinking a dry erase.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:28:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:00:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Used to carry open in Monroe all the time but there are three large prisons in Monore with state and federal funding for local police to deal with the inmate families not to mention little mexico in the mourning run ghetto, this has caused a high turn over of cops including the crooked chiefs, so carrying open alarms the new guys that don't know me and requires educating them, and I just do not care to spend the time anymore.

Fact is a citizen is the highest office in the land and any corporate entity employee like a town clown cop is way down the list as they have certain delegated powers but no authority, each side of this conflict has arms it is sad only the servant ignorant criminal side is willing to use leathal force, the sad part is when cops do it against lawful citizens it is a serious crime but continues to go unpunished.

In a month or two legal action against organized crime will commence followed by enforcement, anybody here in this forum willing to  get trained as a Constable ?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:30:25 PM EDT
[#10]
what qualifacations are needed?  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:57:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hitting the broad side of a barn...

So you are out.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:34:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The votes of at least ten Electors or appointed by the Justice of the Peace per case basis.

Introduction to comman law

Home page

I can send files that specifically address the Constable training and education, but we are also looking for people to deputize as enforcement which simply requires military skills

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#14]
You realy what to be a whipping post, don't you?

OK, now to your question, I live very rural and ride my bike on the county roads and logging roads alot. I run into a deputy a few years ago and was riding along side his vehicle chatting, when I noticed he was looking at me, my shirt had ridden up and my pistol was exposed(I know my bad), I told him I had a permit and he shrugged his shoulders and said I don't care, and that was the end of it, we chatted for about 10 minutes longer and went our ways. I have also carried open while hunting, durring hunting season and never had any probs(with game wardens) but I was never in town, they frown on hunting in town now days.

BUT, I would never do it in a town or city that is asking for trouble, not that you would be doing anything that was against a law but there are many other laws that the sheep could use to get you into trouble. Phil_in_Seattle's post for instance. You seem to have a permit, I would keep it(your blaster) a secret.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:09:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The votes of at least ten Electors or appointed by the Justice of the Peace per case basis.

Introduction to comman law

Home page

I can send files that specifically address the Constable training and education, but we are also looking for people to deputize as enforcement which simply requires military skills

Are you for real?

I could buy the crooked chief comment, because well I know of one of the previous chiefs, but it was the rest of your post that made me wonder if you require medication.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Are you for real?

I could buy the crooked chief comment, because well I know of one of the previous chiefs, but it was the rest of your post that made me wonder if you require medication.

Ask him for the files.

If you could buy the comment about the old Goldbar chief what would keep you from buying the rest...The one thing I have never known Strat to do is lie...And why would he need medication?, Because he and a large group of citizens would like to go back to the way things used to be?..

Strat has had some far out ideas, but heck...It was far out ideas that got us all here in the first place..

Remmember this country was started by a bunch of old White slave-owning aristrocrats that did not want to pay their tax's...(How far out does that sound?).

Flame on

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:46:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Remmember this country was started by a bunch of old White slave-owning aristrocrats that did not want to pay their tax's...(How far out does that sound?).

Originally Stated by Kim Krizan in the movie Dazed and Confused:

Okay guys, one more thing, this summer when you're being inundated with all this American bicentennial Fourth Of July brouhaha, don't forget what you're celebrating, and that's the fact that a bunch of slave-owning, aristocratic, white males didn't want to pay their taxes.

-Ms. Ginny Stroud, high school teacher

ETA:
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:17:23 PM EDT
[#18]
We just had a tile dealer jerk us around and then be major assholes about refunding our money. I wonder if things would have gone differently if they have actually seen me with my shooter all 5 times I was in there? Things that make you go hmmmm.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are you for real?

Ask him for the files.

If you could buy the comment about the old Goldbar chief what would keep you from buying the rest...The one thing I have never known Strat to do is lie...And why would he need medication?, Because he and a large group of citizens would like to go back to the way things used to be?..

Strat has had some far out ideas, but heck...It was far out ideas that got us all here in the first place..

Flame on

LOL I will pass on the files. The former Chief's I was talking about were in Monroe, which he was talking about, but:

1. He and I have probably a lot in common regarding being fans of the Constitution.

2. He and I probably have a lot in common about believing police officers are being asked to do things they shouldn't, and you above all know how bad that is getting!

3. There is a world of difference between desiring "the old school" and actively encouraging people to play constable without backgrounds, training, lawful authority, and oversight. We usually call that criminal impersonation.

4. I didn't insult him, I asked him if he was for real. I read his links, and if he really believes in what is posited there, then all he need do is say so. I actually thought it might be a joke.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top