Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 7:54:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I wonder why he didn't land it on the grass. It would have done less damage to the undercarriage.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#2]
darn shame
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:33:50 PM EDT
[#3]
That sucks
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:36:40 PM EDT
[#4]
It'll  fly again...probably just sheet metal damage...note the position the prop is in....saves the prop and the engine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:22:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It'll  fly again...probably just sheet metal damage...note the position the prop is in....saves the prop and the engine.

P&W Wasps don't come cheap. . .

Airframe looks OK.  

I'm not an FAA-certificated A&P Mechanic, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:25:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Not all airports have grass landing strips or clear unobstructed grass areas next to the taxiways or the runways.
The emergency procedures for that airport might not allow landing on the grass.
The emergency procedures for the SNA might reccomend that a belly landing on a prepared surface is preferable to a belly landing on an unprepared surface.

I know that float planes land on the grass at the Monroe airport all the time.

Quoted:
I wonder why he didn't land it on the grass. It would have done less damage to the undercarriage.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:54:20 AM EDT
[#7]
More problematic is why the gear didn't come down. From the look of things he had it shut down and kept it off the deck until it wouldn't fly any more. It's probably flyable now with a little duct tape.

I watched an A4 do a wheels up one night at Kadena. Huge shower of sparks. They picked up the plane with a crane, dropped the gear handle and towed it off the runway. They replaced the nose cone and removed the belly and wing tanks and it was good to go. The pilot of the plane was the XO of his squadron.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:17:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Sure is a cool plane...shame as it has to sit till its fixed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top