Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2005 3:44:06 PM EDT
I've been having a few problems with the asshat that moved in next to me recently.

1. The guy is a douchebag who is apparently milking someone for some cash. When he introduced himself to me prior to moving in he told me he worked for a local sewer drainage company. After the wife spoke to him a few days later, the guy is apparently off work due to a motorcycle accident he had.

For a guy who can't work due to an accident he sure does get around the yard. In fact, he just fell, sawed and split up a 40' or higher tree that was in his yard.

2. He's been constantly cutting down overgrowth that lines our adjoining fence. All well and good, but he is rather indiscriminate with his chainsaw: he takes up bushes, plants and anything else that is green and breathes with it.

So far he's contained his idiocy to his own yard, until today...

I was outside earlier doing some yard work when I heard my new neighbor fire up his chainsaw next to the fence.

As this guy has a history of getting overzealous with his chainsaw I walked over to see what the hell he was up to now.

I step over just in time to see his idiot spawn and Jabba the Hut of a wife hauling a long branch into the front yard...a long branch that looks suspiciously like the type of trees that line the back half of my driveway.

Looking over, I see that Idiot Son is indeed chopping up the trees that form a wall between our properties.

As I'm walking up to say something, Idiot Spawn's dad apparoaches me.

I ask him "What are you doing".

He replies, with a dazed look on his face "Uhhhhh...just cutting back some stuff so I can put up a dog run".

"So, you're just cutting down the branches that are overhanging into your property?"

"Yeah."

I say "Oh, okay. Take care" and walk away.

Well, here it is two hours later. I happen to look out my dining room window and what do I see? My neighbor's Smurf blue fucking house.

The problem with this is that I shouldn't be able to see the idiot's home: I have a 15' wall of trees that completely blocks him from my view.

I walk outside to find a three foot fucking gap in the wall of trees that seperates our property. That motherfucker pulled down the fence, stepped into my property line and cut down a three foot gap in my wall o' tree.

I'm on fire. Why he stopped at that point I have no idea. Maybe he ran out of gas for his chainsaw. He doesn't appear to be home.

My wife will be home shortly. As soon as she is here to keep an eye on the little one I'm going over to knock on his door and find out what the fuck his problem is.

The way I see it he either:

1. Is mildly retarded.

2. Has balls of granite.

Watch for me on the local news.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude, you should call the cops.  Make a formal complaint, that way, anything that happens after that... it's already on record.

1.  He won't be expecting you to do this without talking to him first, so he might be scared enough to tell the truth.

2.  Since it doesn't cost anything to you, making a formal complaint would be the first step, but it doesn't look as good if you wait until tomorrow to do it...  if it does go to small claims court...

3.  Since this is the first step, he will know you mean business and he will (hopefully) rectify the situation to the best of his ability.

I have two brothers.  They are lawyers.  

Good luck.  That is really awful.  Just don't go and be-head him with his own chainsaw or anything...

ETA  OH OH OH, and TAKE PICTURES!!!!!  Take pics of the damage, take pictures of the good stuff for comparison and take pics of all the shavings he has on the street or bagged or whatever... these are all evidence, the more pics the better
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:06:12 PM EDT
[#2]
She is right.

And no it's not because she's a redhead either.

The neighbor is an asshat, but don't do anything that could get you in legal trouble.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, since he is not cutting right now......oh

Quoted:
but don't do anything that could get you in legal trouble.

Well that counts out my idea of drawing down on his chainsaw while it's sitting idle on the ground.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Listen to  gunchyck she's giving good advice. Stay cool

Sorry        gunchyck        
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:14:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Listen to  gunchyck she's giving good advice. Stay cool

FIXT
and thank you for the compliments
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Well that counts out my idea of drawing down on his chainsaw while it's sitting idle on the ground.

When he leave the chainsaw alone pee in it!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#7]
What a f@cktard, keep cool dude but go for the balls. I there any chance he is a voiyer(sp) you may be able to push that with LEO, or he may just be trimming it so he can keep a better eye on your place, you know so that nothing comes up missing, that he dosen't get to pawn.

If he cut trees on your property then without permision or an agreement then he owns you tripple stumpage, or 3 times what the trees are or were worth.

You have my numbers, give me a call if you need a hand.

DD
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What a f@cktard, keep cool dude but go for the balls. I there any chance he is a voiyer(sp) you may be able to push that with LEO, or he may just be trimming it so he can keep a better eye on your place, you know so that nothing comes up missing, that he dosen't get to pawn.

If he cut trees on your property then without permision or an agreement then he owns you tripple stumpage, or 3 times what the trees are or were worth.

You have my numbers, give me a call if you need a hand.

DD

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:03:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies.

Jabba The Hut came pulling up in a Home Depot truck a few minutes ago with Asshat riding shotgun.

I'm starting to see who wears the penis in that family.

After Asshat had climbed out of the cab (Jabba was still working on squeezing her fat ass out) I flashed my most disarming smile and asked "How's it going".

"Good".

"Hey, I've got a question for oyu. What happened to those trees back there?"

He looks back to Jabba, who has now pulled herself out of the cab. "Ummmm...we cut them down."

"I see that. I was wondering why you did that, considering that they aren't on your property."

Up until now we'd just been talking, but now Jabba breaks in with a screeched "They're on our side!"

Just as calmly as before I ask her husband "Where is it, exactly, that you feel the property line is?"

Once again, Jabba starts breaks the quiet afternoon in our neighborhood with "The property line starts there!" as she points to a section of fence.

So, I walk over to that section, turn 180 degrees so that I'm facing the rear of my house and ask her "So, if this is the property marker and we follow that marker to my backyard...you're saying that the property line dividing our yards actually lies somewhere in my living room?"

At this point she begins the Lardass Shuffle into her home without bothering to respond. Asshat takes that as his que to strap on the Family Jewels in Jabba's absence and walks over to the fenceline with me.

Long story short, a lot of Asshat's nonsense aside, he claims that the property line itself is my wall o' trees and not the fence that sits behind it.

As things sit now, I'm calling the county on Tuesday to determine the precise property line.

We'll go from there.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

As things sit now, I'm calling the county on Tuesday to determine the precise property line.

We'll go from there.

That is where I would have started.

Im kinda going through the same deal with my neighbor now....

I just dont seem to mind so much that he cut down the blackberrys on my side of the line..
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.

Jabba The Hut came pulling up in a Home Depot truck a few minutes ago with Asshat riding shotgun.

After Asshat had climbed out of the cab (Jabba was still working on squeezing her fat ass out) I flashed my most disarming smile and asked "How's it going".

"Good".

He looks back to Jabba, who has now pulled herself out of the cab. "Ummmm...we cut them down."

"I see that. I was wondering why you did that, considering that they aren't on your property."

Up until now we'd just been talking, but now Jabba breaks in with a screeched "They're on our side!"

Just as calmly as before I ask her husband "Where is it, exactly, that you feel the property line is?"

Once again, Jabba starts breaks the quiet afternoon in our neighborhood with "The property line starts there!" as she points to a section of fence.

So, I walk over to that section, turn 180 degrees so that I'm facing the rear of my house and ask her "So, if this is the property marker and we follow that marker to my backyard...you're saying that the property line dividing our yards actually lies somewhere in my living room?"

At this point she begins the Lardass Shuffle into her home without bothering to respond. Asshat takes that as his que to strap on the Family Jewels in Jabba's absence and walks over to the fenceline with me.

Long story short, a lot of Asshat's nonsense aside, he claims that the property line itself is my wall o' trees and not the fence that sits behind it.

We'll go from there.

How long has the fence been up?  Is there not some time frame that even if your fence was built on his property and it was never contested that his property in fact becomes your property?
Anyone?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:31:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.

"Good".

We'll go from there.

How long has the fence been up?  Is there not some time frame that even if your fence was built on his property and it was never contested that his property in fact becomes your property?
Anyone?

7 years, I believe
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I feel you "neighbor pains"

I am trying to figure out hot not to choke the shit out of mine for other reasons, but I feel your pain...

Cheers
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:16:01 PM EDT
[#14]
RCW 64.12.030
Injury to or removing trees, etc. -- Damages.
Whenever any person shall cut down, girdle or otherwise injure, or carry off any tree, timber or shrub on the land of another person, or on the street or highway in front of any person's house, village, town or city lot, or cultivated grounds, or on the commons or public grounds of any village, town or city, or on the street or highway in front thereof, without lawful authority, in an action by such person, village, town or city against the person committing such trespasses or any of them, if judgment be given for the plaintiff, it shall be given for treble the amount of damages claimed or assessed therefor, as the case may be.

[Code 1881 § 602; 1877 p 125 § 607; 1869 p 143 § 556; RRS § 939.]

NOTES:

Trespass, public lands: Chapter 79.02 RCW.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
We'll go from there.

Unless there has been a survey of the property, the County won't have any information on the location of the property line, and won't get involved as it is a civil matter.  If you haven't had a survey, that's what you need.  Gibby was refering to adverse possession, which is 7 years, but you have to go to court to 'get' the property.

If you live in a subdivision, there should be a survey at the County Auditor and you may be able to figure out the property lines from there.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#16]
The fence has been up for some time. I've lived here for about two years and the fence looks rather old.

From doing a small amount of research on the Net, it appears that there has not been a survey done on our property yet we do indeed live in a subdivision.

I'll step out to the street tomorrow and pull up Asshat's street address (don't recall if he's one number higher or one number lower than me off the top of my head) and put that into my county's website to see if his property has ever had one.

Other than that, it appears that I'm stuck footing the bill for a survey which if memory serves will run a few hundred bucks.

Bastard.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:55:18 PM EDT
[#17]
In my county I can access the assessors page and get a photo page with property boundaries overlaid.

Good luck dealing with asshats.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The fence has been up for some time. I've lived here for about two years and the fence looks rather old.

From doing a small amount of research on the Net, it appears that there has not been a survey done on our property yet we do indeed live in a subdivision.

I'll step out to the street tomorrow and pull up Asshat's street address (don't recall if he's one number higher or one number lower than me off the top of my head) and put that into my county's website to see if his property has ever had one.

Other than that, it appears that I'm stuck footing the bill for a survey which if memory serves will run a few hundred bucks.

Bastard.  

Check for survey monuments first!  They are usually rebar posts set it the ground with a medallion on top.  They are usually done in subdivisions, even if you can't seem to find a record of it.  They may be hard to find it they were placed a long time ago (overgrowth, etc.)
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
In my county I can access the assessors page and get a photo page with property boundaries overlaid.

Good luck dealing with asshats.

The assessor's maps are typically not very accurate, and are representations of the property boundaries.  If  you are in a subdivision you can get a copy of the plat map, which will show all the monuments they placed directions/distances... you may be able to find the property line from that map.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:16:34 PM EDT
[#20]
You may be able to get by with having the surveyors shoot only that property line for you.  By law a survey must be recorded and you'll pay for them to identify lines that you don't need ID'd.  That and the recording fees will cost much more than you need.  Are there utility boxes between your homes?  If so they're usually planted right along the line so that may give you a starting point.  If he did cut your trees then it's pretty cut and dried that he's civilly liable.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:42:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Well make sure the asshat does not cut no more trees or parts of on your land. Buy a small fir to fill in the hole. But make sure you water it often so it don't get choked out.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:43:52 PM EDT
[#22]
If a surveyor is required, make sure you hire him. I've seen them "adjust" property lines for a few bucks.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:40:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
She is right.
And no it's not because she's a redhead either...

Yes, she is.
And, YES,  IT IS...!

Redheads are ALWAYS right.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:51:14 PM EDT
[#24]
What county do you live in?  I know snohomish county tax assessors office has satellite maps with property line overlays available online.  Should show your trees, etc.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for all the sound advice thus far, guys.

Quoted:
What county do you live in?  I know snohomish county tax assessors office has satellite maps with property line overlays available online.  Should show your trees, etc.

I'm in Clark County...down here in the Vancouver area.

I checked the Clark County website, but I keep getting a "Server Busy" picture whenever I try to pull up an aerial photo of my property.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Dude, you should call the cops.  Make a formal complaint, that way, anything that happens after that... it's already on record.

1.  He won't be expecting you to do this without talking to him first, so he might be scared enough to tell the truth.

2.  Since it doesn't cost anything to you, making a formal complaint would be the first step, but it doesn't look as good if you wait until tomorrow to do it...  if it does go to small claims court...

3.  Since this is the first step, he will know you mean business and he will (hopefully) rectify the situation to the best of his ability.

Good luck.  That is really awful.  Just don't go and be-head him with his own chainsaw or anything...

ETA  OH OH OH, and TAKE PICTURES!!!!!  Take pics of the damage, take pictures of the good stuff for comparison and take pics of all the shavings he has on the street or bagged or whatever... these are all evidence, the more pics the better

I'm not sure what you mean, but calling the police is NOT going to help, as they don't know where the property line is....  It ends up as a civil problem that is six shades of ugly.  

Calling the police will show the neighbor that the cops can't do anything, and in the long run that tends to make things worse.  I'm glad your brothers are lawyers, but their input is flawed on this.  

Getting pictures is a nice idea, and taking pictures while they are doing it might be EvilATFs best bet.  When they get worked up about him taking picture and ask why he is doing it, he can let them know that if they keep cutting down his property that he will be taking the film/ video into court with him.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not sure what you mean, but calling the police is NOT going to help, as they don't know where the property line is....  It ends up as a civil problem that is six shades of ugly.  

What's already done is done, but that aside, calling the cops just gives you a paper trail, another thing you can submit in court to say that you were as thorough as you could be.  It doesn't "end up" as a civil problem BECAUSE you call the police.

Calling the police will show the neighbor that the cops can't do anything, and in the long run that tends to make things worse.  I'm glad your brothers are lawyers, but their input is flawed on this.  

At this point NO ONE can do anything.  The damage is done, all that's left is reparations.  The police CAN AND DO right up the reports for damage and loss of property due to the neighbor's actions.  This is admissible in court at the civil level.  The police do talk with the neighbors telling them about what the misunderstanding is and what may or may not happen next.  Of  COURSE they aren't going to arrest anyone or bring anyone in for questioning or something, I never insinuated that they would.  

Getting pictures is a nice idea, and taking pictures while they are doing it might be EvilATFs best bet.  When they get worked up about him taking picture and ask why he is doing it, he can let them know that if they keep cutting down his property that he will be taking the film/ video into court with him.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:37:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Sorry, but you are incorrect.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Sorry, but you are incorrect.  

Thanks for giving me specific things that I am incorrect about, so that I can either counter with facts of my own or concede that you are correct....  Are you one of those people that just needs to have the last word, and that is it?

C'mon, gimme SOMETHING.  Please? Be fair!  I'm in nj, and you in WA, so it could be that you do things a little diff.  I will concede to that, tell me what you would and wouldn't do?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's already done is done, but that aside, calling the cops just gives you a paper trail, another thing you can submit in court to say that you were as thorough as you could be.  It doesn't "end up" as a civil problem BECAUSE you call the police.

At this point NO ONE can do anything.  The damage is done, all that's left is reparations.  The police CAN AND DO right up the reports for damage and loss of property due to the neighbor's actions.  This is admissible in court at the civil level.  The police do talk with the neighbors telling them about what the misunderstanding is and what may or may not happen next.  Of  COURSE they aren't going to arrest anyone or bring anyone in for questioning or something, I never insinuated that they would.  

Gunchyk

It is a Civil Prob no matter how you look at it, A police officer is not a Judge, I dont care if it is in Wa,Ca, or Nj. the most the officer can do is take a report on the damage that is already done. but it will be up to Evil and his neighbor to back it up.

Verify your property line, get your facts in order, get your proof in order and take it to court.

People that call the police in matters like this when there is not a physical/verbal fight going on (acutal in progress crime). are just showing the other side how helpless they really are, and end up with egg on the face when the officer says..."Im sorry folks, but you will have to settle this one on your own, I would suggest that you call your attorney"......"Now have a nice day!"
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:59:10 AM EDT
[#31]
I hate to tell you this, but in Washington State if you have more land than your neighbor then under WAC 2269.22 you must relinquish the disputed proterty to your neighbor.

Further, you must pay your neighbor for the time that you were neighbors and your neighbor was unable to use your (now his) land.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:06:28 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gunchyk

It is a Civil Prob no matter how you look at it, A police officer is not a Judge, I dont care if it in in Wa,Ca, or Nj. the most the officer can do is take a report on the damage that is already done. but it will be up to Evil and his neighbor to back it up.

DUDE, either I'm having one HELL of a blonde day, or that was EXACTLY what I was saying.
It is a civil matter
The police take a report
The police report helps you in court.

So, now that we agree, let's have a drink and be merry, k?  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
DUDE, either I'm having one HELL of a blonde day, or that was EXACTLY what I was saying.
It is a civil matter
The police take a report

We dont agree...

I think it is a waste of time to get a officer involved in the first place the paperwork means little, and is a waste of public services. It is still up to Evil and his neighbor to back up anything on the police report, and that is something they would have to do anyway...with or without a officers report.

But if you want a officer to come out and do a report to make you feel better then be my guest.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It is a civil matter
The police take a report

We dont agree...

I think it is a waste of time to get a officer involved in the first place the paperwork means little, and is a waste of public services. It is still up to Evil and his neighbor to back up anything on the police report, and that is something they would have to do anyway...with or without a officers report.

But if you want a officer to come out and do a report to make you feel better then be my guest.

oh, ok, I see where we differ now, does that mean no beer?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:17:14 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Bite your tongue!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bite your tongue!

Beer good, beer... FOOOOOOOAMY
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Beer good, beer... FOOOOOOOAMY

That we agree on.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Anyone?

Definitely not true in CA. Otherwise, people would slowly be moving the fence over time. I doubt that it is true in WA either.  If the dude's fence was built on the other's property, he would need an easement, implied or otherwise.

For all property owners, you are plan stupid if you don't have your property surveyed and maintain the markers in good shape.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
People that call the police in matters like this when there is not a physical/verbal fight going on (acutal in progress crime). are just showing the other side how helpless they really are, and end up with egg on the face when the officer says..."Im sorry folks, but you will have to settle this one on your own, I would suggest that you call your attorney"......"Now have a nice day!"

My thoughts exactly.

Quoted:
I hate to tell you this, but in Washington State if you have more land than your neighbor then under WAC 2269.22 you must relinquish the disputed proterty to your neighbor.

Further, you must pay your neighbor for the time that you were neighbors and your neighbor was unable to use your (now his) land.

I'll look into that. I'm not sure who has more property, but I'll be damned if I'm going to use such a B.S. law to take property from my neighbor.

Nor, for that matter, will I allow mine to be taken under such Bravo Sierra.

It looks like the smart thing to do is to have a surveyor come out and make it official, for better or worse.

I'll look into it come Tuesday and let you all know what I find out.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#40]
It's a JOKE son, it's a JOKE!

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll look into that. I'm not sure who has more property, but I'll be damned if I'm going to use such a B.S. law to take property from my neighbor.
out.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:01:09 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
It's a JOKE son, it's a JOKE!

Hehehehehehe...you got me.

Although, given the direction this state has been taking the last decade or so such a law would not surprise me in the least.

Obviously.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:26:16 PM EDT
[#42]

Ummmm.....

This doesn't have anything to do with your other thread, does it?
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=15&t=209323

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:11:51 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Ummmm.....

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Ummmm.....

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top