Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2005 6:25:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:25:28 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Not that I'm saying they should be shooting at someone who is fleeing with their child.

NO but if the dad had grabed it on the way out he could have shot a time or two in the air. The kidnapper most likely would have shit his pants and stoped. Being 100 yrads behind is not that far for sound to travel.....
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:31:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not that I'm saying they should be shooting at someone who is fleeing with their child.

NO but if the dad had grabed it on the way out he could have shot a time or two in the air. The kidnapper most likely would have shit his pants and stoped. Being 100 yrads behind is not that far for sound to travel.....

I get the impression that they were closer than that.  The article read that the parents ran after the kidnapper who managed to get 100 years from the apartment.

Yet another scenario to think about in this day and age.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:57:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow, this was right down the road from my house.....
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:10:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I get the impression that they were closer than that.  The article read that the parents ran after the kidnapper who managed to get 100 years from the apartment.

Well if that was the case & it were me the guy would have been a dead kiddnapper. I believe it would have be justafide to shoot this POS in the back running away with my kid. I know I would have if I were armed with a 1911 or rifle and it were under 75 yards but not a shotty. I'm glad the girl is OK but this POS will most likely walk in a year or two.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:17:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well if that was the case & it were me the guy would have been a dead kiddnapper. I believe it would have be justafide to shoot this POS in the back running away with my kid. I know I would have if I were armed with a 1911 or rifle and it were under 75 yards but not a shotty. I'm glad the girl is OK but this POS will most likely walk in a year or two.

Don't forget about overpenetration!

Headshot
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Or.... Ass or Leg shot.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Headshot

This is why the AR carbine is probably the best home defense rifle.  It gives the capability of those 100 yard shots, but is very unlikely to over-penetrate even at point blank range.  I also believe indoors that 5.56 ammo wil penetrate fewer walls than 9mm or 45 ACP.  With a light and an Aimpoint or BAC ACOG, you can do the close up shooting, or take the perp down at distance.

I'd like to find a way to secure a fully loaded AR next to my bed.  Something that totally covers the trigger, action and mag well, while still allowing a magazine to be inserted.  My 2 year is way to curious and into "stuff" to have anything less secure.  I haven't really seen anything that would work quite right.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:53:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I expect to hear from some of my neighbors after this. I have a standing invitation to some of the lunatics that live around me for a free trip to the range. Some of them have actually gotten the message after calling the local constablery. That second and a half response time has taken on some real meaning.

Somebody want to explain again why child molestation and rape aren't capital crimes?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Guess I need to practice my head shots.  If he was grabbing one of my daughters I'd gladly risk the prison time.  Guys like that really piss me off!!!!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Headshot

This is why the AR carbine is probably the best home defense rifle.  It gives the capability of those 100 yard shots, but is very unlikely to over-penetrate even at point blank range.  I also believe indoors that 5.56 ammo Will penetrate fewer walls than 9mm or 45 ACP.  With a light and an Aimpoint or BAC ACOG, you can do the close up shooting, or take the perp down at distance.

I'd like to find a way to secure a fully loaded AR next to my bed.  Something that totally covers the trigger, action and mag well, while still allowing a magazine to be inserted.  My 2 year is way to curious and into "stuff" to have anything less secure.  I haven't really seen anything that would work quite right.

You might want to look up the Box of truth in the Ammo forum.(It was a Ammo test done by a old guy in Texas) A 223 Will penetrate way more than you think.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:41:23 PM EDT
[#11]

He slipped inside the apartment through an unlocked sliding glass door of a ground-level unit just before 5 a.m., sheriff's Chief Tom Greene said.

Unlocked door? At a ground level apt.? At 5 am? WTF?

The girl screamed and struggled to free herself. Her screams woke her parents, who called 911 and chased after the man, who was holding their daughter.

Smart kid. Good for her!

Police say the girl should be commended for her bravery and quick thinking.

"Due to the (girl's) courage and tenacity, she was able to escape," Greene said. "We're pretty proud of this little gal."

Damn right. Hell, I'm proud of her and don't even know her.

Parents should remember to do one last check at night to make sure their home is secure, she said.

I think this would be just common sense. As the last person to go to bed in our house, I ALWAYS check the doors and windows, and look in on the kids befire I go to bed.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
 You might want to look up the Box of truth in the Ammo forum.(It was a Ammo test done by a old guy in Texas) A 223 Will penetrate way more than you think.

I'm sure it will penetrate, I never said it wouldn't.  You still need to be careful about where your shots are going.  I still believe that after passing through one wall, an M193 round will have less wounding potential than a 9mm.  Even if it is the same, or slightly higher, I still feel it is a better choice.

The "box of truth" website is down so I can't read what they have to say, and the debate here on ARFCOM was rather....energetic.  

Debate here on ARFCOM

It depends on ammunition, I'm sure.  Look at the results from Federal.  I need to get some of those Federal Tactical 62 Grain BSPs for barrier penetration though!    
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Somebody want to explain again why child molestation and rape aren't capital crimes?

Im guessing because most of our elected officials are guilty of some form of rape and molestation, and It hits too close to home.

All Im going to say is this guy should be worm food at this point.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:22:16 PM EDT
[#14]
 Wouldn't mind trying Federal Tap for personal defense ammo myself. At this point I have Win.64 grn power point.

I have a large male pit bull living across the street form me. The owner is very responsible. but you never know. So I keep a mag of Winchester with the rifle just in case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top