Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/15/2005 8:48:28 AM EDT
Awhile back there was talk of a Tri Cities Ak build party, is there any more info on that? is it still going to happen?

We've got our kits and most of what we need to put em together.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Wombat and I didn't know if anyone was still interested, but yes we are still going to do it, I bought the spot welder and we are waiting on the bending jig and compliance parts.  We kind of slacked off for a while and then with the ATF ruling my credit card has been abused buying kits.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#2]
And for post 556 I give you…. 7.62X39 kits.

You have to post a picture with AKs not just FAL STG 58s and 1919s with a 74 thrown in for the hell of it.  Have you gotten your camera back yet, Brian?

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:36:10 AM EDT
[#3]
No camera and no PKMS kits yet
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Folks,

I should have posted earlier.  I wanted to do this.  I have a 220V mig welder, a 12 ton shop press, and a flat bending jig.  I also have a large bolt cutter I have yet to modify for rivets.  I have a drill press, bits and taps as well as the stuff for several screw builds.  I also have perhaps 10 flats.  I have 4 kits to build.  I have 2 weld flats too.  I also have a registered AK-47 reciever to compare with.  I also have a WASR-10 and last years SEAK to use as guides.  I was going to wait till I had modified the bolt cutter before posting.

I live in Richland WA.

It will probably be 3 weeks before I could host.  I have never built one and would like to get a group together to do a party.

Sauramen
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#5]
3 weeks is good for us, I need a bit of time to schedule time home.
What can we bring other than our kits?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:33:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Sauramen, you rock

What kind of beer do you drink
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Three weeks is a good time frame because several of the kits have still not arrived and I still need the compliance parts.

Where do you guys get your compliance parts?  I was thinking about getting them from here.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:29:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I will check my family schedule a little closer and get back with you folks (read that as laying the groundwork with the family).  I will try to give you a date soon.  Right now I am thinking a Saturday, but that could change.

I would likie for all of us to get together and pool our knowledge and resources.

Who all would attend?  How many?  I imagine I would do it in my garage.  I think that I will also post something on the AK side once plans come together.  WHat about us including something on the Orgegon board?  Some folks could be close enough.

Has anyone built one yet?  Will it be the blind leading the blind?

I got most of my compliance parts from Tapco.

Sauramen
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
And for post 556 I give you…. 7.62X39 kits.

You have to post a picture with AKs not just FAL STG 58s and 1919s with a 74 thrown in for the hell of it.  Have you gotten your camera back yet, Brian?

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/wombatslayer/rom47.jpg

Quoted:
Wombat and I didn't know if anyone was still interested, but yes we are still going to do it, I bought the spot welder and we are waiting on the bending jig and compliance parts.  We kind of slacked off for a while and then with the ATF ruling my credit card has been abused buying kits.  
img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/Brian_in_Pullman/Guns/kits2.jpg

I CAN BUILD ALL THAT STUFF OUT IN MY SHOP RIGHT NOW.

Wombat get ahold of me. Parkerizing tank set up is done now and the 1919a4 build real easy.
AK builds a little faster then the Fals. The Fals need locking shoulders to fit. I have a guy in TX who make them to custom order.

This is my new rifle.

This is a blue print to were I am going with my Scout.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I may be interested in coming to the party if its cool.  I have built one for myself and helped my dad build two.  We have a few kits left, a couple of tapco flats and enough100% recivers for all of our kits.  I personally have just one underfolder left to finish, but all of the other builds to date are screw builds, and I would like to take the screws out and rivit them togeather.  Let me know if it's cool if myself and my dad join in.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#11]
DFARM, as far as I am concerned you are welcome to come (especially since you have experience building AK's) and I have a feeling everyone else will feel the same.  After we get all these built we may need to have an AK shoot too.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Just let me know when  and where,  a little in advance would be nice so I can request time off (I work tuesday through saturday) if needed.  I hope someone comes up with a way to rivit, as that is how I want to do my underfolder, and I would like to re-do my screw built akm.  An ak shoot would be awesome,  its a good think russian short(7.62x39) is still pretty cheap.
h.gif
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#13]
So I was talking with Wombat and hopefully someone has a oxy-acetlene rig for heat treating the recievers, and has anyone else started preping their kits?  I still need to take 2 of mine apart.  I'm also going to make some trunion hole tools in different sizes like these: www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146939
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#14]
It will be at my garage in Richland WA.  I also have an oxy-acet set up.  Not sure of gas status yet.  A trigger jig would be helpful too.  Still negotiating with the wife on the date.  Not this week end and not the weekend of the 28th.  Perhaps the next.  I will keep you posted

Sauramen
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I hope someone comes up with a way to rivit, as that is how I want to do my underfolder, and I would like to re-do my screw built akm.

I am planning on doing a rivet and spot weld build.  

KLM I will call you this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll also make a trigger guard jig this weekend, I'll just use one of my trigger guards to get the dimensions and make this one: www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1743
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#17]

A few questions for before the party:

1.  Who is going to the build party?
2. How many kits do you want to put together?
3.  What kind of kits are they (Romanian 47 wood stock, Bulgarian 74 folder, etc.)?
4. What kind of receivers are you planning on using?
5. Are you planning on doing a rivet build?
6. What prep work are you going to do to your kits before the party?

1. I am in!
2. I have 3 kits right now (possibly getting 4 more).
3. I have a Bulgarian 74 folder kit and 2 Romanian.
4. Flats if they work out.
5. Yep
6. I am working at refinishing one of the wood stocks and doing some disassembling and rivet removal.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#18]
1. Me
2. 3 + 3 more hopefully
3. 2Romanians and an Bulgarian Folder
4. Flats for the Romanians and a 100% for the Bulgarian (ak-74)
5.  Yes
6.  2 completely disasembled and one Romanian part way, with a couple broken drill bits in the rear tang

and of course some of the prep work from yesterday evening

The cold chisel actually works really well for removing the rivets, after you knock the head off the rivet is then loose and pops right out.  I also finished the trunion hole alignment tools and the trigger guard jig.

ETA:  I also have a spot welder and can bring my bench top drill press incase we need it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Still negotiating on the date.

I have in my garage

Flat bending jig
12 ton press and plates
220V Mig welder
2 drill presses
220 V LARGE air compresser
air grinding tools
rivet squeezer (converted 36" bolt cutter)
dremel
various hand tools
small pony bottle size welding set up and torches (heat treating)
10 flats to bend
2 weldable flats to do
Lots of stuff cluttering up the joint

I have 2 folding "truck gun" gradfes to put together.  2 more for later.

I will try to nail down the date tonight and get back to you.

Sauramen

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#20]
OK the date is confirmed as Sat, Sept 3rd.  I guess about 0800 for a start.  Show up when you will.  It will end when it ends

Please cofirm your intent to come.  Please list what you intend to bring, be it tools, kits, consumables, etc.

The location is Richland, WA.

Sauramen
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:50:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but is there any chance we can do it on any weekend than the 3rd whcih is Labor Day weekend?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Wombat and Brian_in_Pullman Labor day weekend will not work with me but after that I have more then the shop to do the build. As to heat treating your AK hammer and trigger pin holes, Use MAP gas will heat tin up enough and I have that out there on top of my  Lincon mig welder and mill and ECT. I can parkerize as well as paint DuraCoat.

Wombat and Brian_in_Pullman let me know if you want to build over at my shop any one else is fine with me.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:56:48 PM EDT
[#23]
The 3rd is the 1st truley open weekend for me.  My family is busy.

I do have this Saturday open.  I had planned to do some pre-work to my kits, press some flats, and generally clean up the garage.  No big deal.

If anyone wants to come by THIS Saturday, say starting at 0800, they are welcome.  All of my stuff is available.  I will be on call from work.  The wife will be out of town and I will have my 10 & 13  year old here.  That should not present any problems.

If you wish to come this weekend, IM me (or something) and I will give you directions.

I still plan on the 3rd as a build party.  I guess I am open to 2 parties, It is just that this week end is little notice for folks.  I will be here.  You are welcome to come down.

Sauramen
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:32:02 PM EDT
[#24]
We don't have any rivits yet, and I don't think that we can get any in time.    I want to come, but without rivits it is pretty pointless.  I can still probably come down and do some small stuff, I have a couple of flats to bend and all I have to do to finish my underfolder  is remove the rivits out of the rear trunyan, but again, I don't want to screw anymore togeather.  I also want to take apart my akm and rivit it togeather instead of using the screws.  So, long story short, if anyone has a few rivit sets they will part with, let me know.  BTW, I understand the tapco rivit sets arent right for the job, kvar is the way to go.  let me know, I would really like to go.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:33:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I’ll see if I can get some rivet sets by next week. I have built an AMD-65, AKMS & AKM. I also have a set of Go / No Go gauges and a Norinco 56S (ChiCom AKM) that I used as my pattern rifle during the builds. I really would like to get a couple flats bent & rails welded on. I still have another AMD, AK & AKMS to build.

Are any other tools that you think you might need? I have the big ass bit for the under folder pivot / release mechanism. Mostly used hand tools for my builds and went with screws because of it.

You a can see some of the kits, builds and other toys on my home page. BTW Dustin = DFARM, he is my son.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#26]
If we can get Brian there he has a spot welder for doing the lower rails and the reinforcement plate.  We also looked at the rivets that we have and they look like they will work even though they are not swell neck rivets.  

Sauramen, could you post a picture of your rivet squeezer?  I also have a 36” HF bolt cutter for that purpose.

The dark side
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I'll be there, it just would have been more convienent on another weekend, I'll just have some more driving to do.  I'm going to order some more flats and rivets tommorow, but I have a bad feeling they won't get here in time.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:43:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm not sure if we can make it, I was supposed to be home this weekend but I'm stuck in the bay area I don't know when they'll get me home next.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#29]
I have not worked out the picture insertion or clicky thing.  This is the squeezer I made.

http://www.illinois-shooter.org/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=51&t=72998

Is anyone coming this Sat?

Sauramen

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Hot link-> www.illinois-shooter.org/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=51&t=72998
What is with the illinois shooters organization?

Look what a little birdie sent me.

So what should I do with it?

AK-74M

AK-103

AK-104

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:08:07 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Hot link-> www.illinois-shooter.org/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=51&t=72998
What is with the illinois shooters organization?

Look what a little birdie sent me.
i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/wombatslayer/128_2843.jpg

So what should I do with it?

AK-74M
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/EzraColi/Gunpics/ak74mfin_06.jpg

AK-103
www.ak-103.com/images/img_rif_103_lg.jpg

AK-104
www.fav-club.com/flash/fn35/fn35.h2.gif

What do you guys think?

GET BOTH ALL THREE!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Wombat,

Where did you get that furniture?  I want a set or 2.

Sauramen
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#33]
I got it from Stottman in the EE.

I don’t know of anyone in the country with them for sale but there is a guy on gunbroker that is selling them from Russia.  Just don’t order more than $100 wholesale from overseas.

I am trying to get another one so I can do an ak-103 and 104 clone and just leave the AKS-74 alone
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Wombat and I finished up the trigger guard jig, and just for the record a ball mill in a cheap drill press chatters a lot.  The plan for tommorow is to make the new lower tong for the spot welder.  

and I picked up an East German side folding stock here on the EE, it won't be here in time, but it will be some thing different.

ETA:  The spot welder is finished now
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
OK the date is confirmed as Sat, Sept 3rd.  I guess about 0800 for a start.  Show up when you will.  It will end when it ends

Please cofirm your intent to come.  Please list what you intend to bring, be it tools, kits, consumables, etc.

The location is Richland, WA.

Sauramen

Can you IM me directions to your place for the build party?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Please let me know who plans on attending.  I will IM you my address and directions, if you need them.  I plan on say 0800-1700 or so.

Sauramen
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:36:31 AM EDT
[#37]
I may be able to come, they're working on getting me home but I won't know for sure until friday afternoon.
If I can make it what would you like me to bring?

Please PM me directions or contact number , thanks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#38]

So is every one ready for tomorrow?

Is there anything besides the kits I need to bring?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:02:39 PM EDT
[#39]
I am not sure what everyone is bringing.  Still on for 0800.  I did some cleaning in the garage so that we can have some room to work in.

Sauramen
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:14:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Yep.
Made it home and the dispatcher thinks I'm out of hours so I got saturday off.

We've got 2 Romainian kits to build just didn't get all the parts in yet.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:10:05 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
just didn't get all the parts in yet.

Join the crowd.  Some of these kits where ordered 2 months ago and still have not got here!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:56:07 PM EDT
[#42]
The build party went well except we didn't finish any rifles, but we got a bunch of recievers bent, heat treated, and the rails welded in.  Thanks to Sauramen for hosting and everyone who showed up.  

Bending a flat

Bent flats

Oops

Heat Treating

Spot welding, and a cool picture IMO

The sort of finished products
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:34:14 PM EDT
[#43]
It was alot of fun getting everything figured out and meeting you guys.
thank you very much for the help, the use of tools, the good fun and lunch.

Now we need to get these done and go light em up at a Tri Cities shoot

P.S. got home and handed Amy her new reciever and she did a happy dance
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:04:27 PM EDT
[#44]
arrrrgh! I missed it!!  Any chance you guys are gonna get together again to finish the rifles?  I've got two kits on the way and two more going to be ordered on friday.  I need to get flats ordered for them.  They are 3 fixed stock Rommy kits and one underfolder rommy kit.   Grrrrrr!  I'm so angry I missed it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:53:12 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm so jealous.  Goddamnit!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:20:21 AM EDT
[#46]
We talked about doing a follow up, especially since I have more flats and kits on the way and we didn't finish any rifles.  The next one should move a little faster since we kind of know what we are doing now  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Thanks for the great pics.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:15:42 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
We talked about doing a follow up, especially since I have more flats and kits on the way and we didn't finish any rifles.  The next one should move a little faster since we kind of know what we are doing now  

That would be great since I have 4 kits on the way and need to order flats.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:04:33 AM EDT
[#49]
I will be hosting another get together.  I need to check with the boss and social calendar to set the date.  I still have 8 flats to bend up, so that will be happening again.  I think we will be progressing on the rest of the builds too.

Sauramen
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I will be hosting another get together.  I need to check with the boss and social calendar to set the date.  I still have 8 flats to bend up, so that will be happening again.  I think we will be progressing on the rest of the builds too.

Sauramen

Excellent, I'll try and pay more attention to WA hometown for the next few weeks.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top