Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2005 9:07:09 AM EDT
According to voilsb, there is a range available for public shooting on Ft Lewis. It's not someplace to practice bumpfire or even casual rapid fire, but it's a 500-600 yard range where we can do some distance work (which I'm sure many of us need).

You'll probably need to bring some match ammo for tuning in the scope and we'd need some spotters with good glass and tripods. Who would be up for getting together on a Saturday or Sunday and visiting Ft Lewis?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:18:11 AM EDT
[#1]
You might want to check to see what the registration of your firearms requirements are.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#2]
You mean the guns I bought out of the banger's trunk should stay home?

Other than that we all know how much work I need.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#3]
While 600 yard practice is greatly needed how about starting a friendly competition using Fred's AQT 25 meter matches ?

The 25 meter range is a lot easier to come by.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:54:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
While 600 yard practice is greatly needed how about starting a friendly competition using Fred's AQT 25 meter matches ?

The 25 meter range is a lot easier to come by.

OK, but I'll need to know more about it. Who holds the targets? Do we get to move?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#5]
All shots are done at the 25 meter line, smaller images are used to simulate longer distances.

Fred's has complete kits available with manuels and targets for matches, it's reasonable but i cant link without the EE mantra being recited.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes.  I had forgotten that I was supposed to get you some information on this.  Anyway, here's MWRs information: www.fortlewismwr.com/shooting%20range%20info.pdf

I've never been there (but I've been by it), but here's 18BSOTTM's info from an earlier thread:

Quoted:
You can shoot on the range at Ft Lewis no problem, as long as there is a service member there that will sponsor the "guests"  The fella that runs it is cool, and the MWR folks want the revenu.  As far as I'm concerned I would rather shoot elsewere, as at the post range it is only slow aimed fire, and a lot of time spent in cease fire while targetry is checked/changed. Range from 25m to 800m.   Half of the range is for pistol work, but again, slow aimed fire.  No double taps, or shooting steel.  I have been wanting to meet and shoot with all of you guys, but I have been deployed so much that I have seemed to miss all the get togethers. Now I will be changing stations for two years, (over seas) so will continue to miss out.  I can get some nice Iron Maidens (6) and some battery operated pop up tgts that are rated for 7.62mm X 51mm  I would be glad to bring that out and we could set it up and have a hay day.  So it's up to you fellas to get a good spot picked out.  Please IM or E-mail me if you want to get the finer points ironed out.  Mark.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone still interested?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Anyone still interested?

800m?

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Anyone still interested?

Well, DUH!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:30:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anyone still interested?

Well, DUH!

+1
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, yes I am.

I need come ups for multiple rifles.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Has anyone checked to see if you have to register your firearms with the post to shoot on that range yet?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm gonna call the range and look into it today.  I'll have details tonight, even if those details amount to "nobody answered because it's the weekend."

But the range is open on weekends, so I assume someone mans the telephone on weekends, too.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm gonna call the range and look into it today.  I'll have details tonight, even if those details amount to "nobody answered because it's the weekend."

But the range is open on weekends, so I assume someone mans the telephone on weekends, too.

And check 50 friendly too please.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, here's what I managed to find out:

If I don't write it down, or put it in my PDA, I will forget to do it.
So ... I both wrote it down and put it in my PDA to do tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:02:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Well, here's what I managed to find out:

If I don't write it down, or put it in my PDA, I will forget to do it.
So ... I both wrote it down and put it in my PDA to do tomorrow.

It is now "tomorrow"...

So Trooper!...

What do you know?

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:28:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It is now "tomorrow"...

So Trooper!...

What do you know?

Beer and women make me stay up late, and the range doesn't open until 10am.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:46:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like you have entirely too damn much time on your hands then son.

Attention!

Mountain climbers starting postion move.

In cadence........................................

As you were
Enjoy it man, you are only young once.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:54:42 AM EDT
[#20]

" Who would be up for getting together on a Saturday or Sunday and visiting Ft Lewis?"

oooh, oooh !

Me too!

can I play ??
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It is now "tomorrow"...

So Trooper!...

What do you know?

Beer and women make me stay up late, and the range doesn't open until 10am.

Well,

that is a start.

But now it is 11:12 AM...

Soldier,

What do you know?

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Bad news.

You must hold a valid DoD ID Card to use the range.  Exception:  ID Card holders can sponser up to two guests a piece.
Firearms are supposed to be registered (but the range officer also said that they are not required to and do not check registration).
Modern firearms must be smaller than .50 caliber (.50 BMG Bolt Rifles are not allowed, I specifically asked).  The only allowed rifles .50 caliber and larger are muzzle-loaders.

This weekend and next, .22LR only (logging operations downrange).

The rifle range only has burms at 25, 50, 100, 200, and 300 yards.  Nothing farther.  No 800 yard spots.
Pistol has spots to hang targets at 9 and 18 yards.

Hours:
Friday: 1-7pm (in theory, lately they've had to close at 5pm)
Sat/Sun: 10am - 4pm

Cost:
$2.75 for Active, Retired, and Dependants
$3.00 for DoD, DoD retired, and dependants
$3.50 for all others

On the plus side:
They do have out to 300 yards, which is more than any place I've shot so far in Washington.
They do not check for registration.
You *might* be able to convince someone that you're shooting a .4999 instead of a .50
It's near the Olympia/Tacoma area.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:55:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Bad news.

You must hold a valid DoD ID Card to use the range.  Exception:  ID Card holders can sponser up to two guests a piece.
Firearms are supposed to be registered (but the range officer also said that they are not required to and do not check registration).
Modern firearms must be smaller than .50 caliber (.50 BMG Bolt Rifles are not allowed, I specifically asked).  The only allowed rifles .50 caliber and larger are muzzle-loaders.

So how does this fit in with that federal law that says any rifle range that uses federal funds is open to civilian shooters (within certain limitations)??  The law included rifle ranges on military bases.  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=369000  Saying you have to have current DoD ID or be sponsored by a DoD ID holder is not part of the law.....

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I dunno.  I wondered that, but couldn't remember the reference.  I'll look into checking into it (yeah ... that's concrete), but first I need a nap (and I'm doing laundry).
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I dunno.  I wondered that, but couldn't remember the reference.  I'll look into checking into it (yeah ... that's concrete), but first I need a nap (and I'm doing laundry).

Still sounds like you need more PT damnit!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:30:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Still sounds like you need more PT damnit!

Im thinking Hello Dolly's....

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:50:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Mountain Climbers

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:11:16 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Mountain Climbers

www.bodybuilding.com/fun/henkin18a.gif

I really, really hated doing those damn things think Brian would enjoy those.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#29]
FRONT!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#30]
BACK!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:28:21 AM EDT
[#31]
GO!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#32]
I dont know how I could have forgotten Grass drills....

FRONT!

BACK!...

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...........
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#33]
I always hated:

DOWN!

4 days later

UP!

2 picoseconds later

DOWN!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Hours:
Friday: 1-7pm (in theory, lately they've had to close at 5pm)
Sat/Sun: 10am - 4pm
Cost:
$2.75 for Active, Retired, and Dependants
$3.00 for DoD, DoD retired, and dependants
$3.50 for all others

Hehehe....I can shoot there and have two guests with me.

If we get enough ID holders we just might be able to get the rest of ya'all in there....

Chris
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:56:16 PM EDT
[#35]
True.  The problem, I guess, is the no .50BMG and only 300yd to shoot at.  But that's still better than Bubba Gump and 85yd at GF, I suppose.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
True.  The problem, I guess, is the no .50BMG and only 300yd to shoot at.  But that's still better than Bubba Gump and 85yd at GF, I suppose.

300 yards is great.

No .50 is no big deal, but I still need to find somewhere to get her stretched out (I know, I know, 50BMGshooter is trying to get me to come down to that match and get me embrassed) and practice, practice, practice. If I can take the abuse. My shoulder is still sore from Sunday.

As for Bubba shooting at the rock from point blank range........

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:15:13 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am betting they are talking about the pit up in Granite Falls.

As for me, the longest range I've yet to use in this states was about 175m. Unless you count the rock I shot up on the other side of a canyon in Omak. That was maybe 600m off.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:47:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Alright.  Well, if we can get enough ID Card holders to sponsor folk, we can get something going.  I'm sure I can talk some people here in the barracks to sponsor some guys.  I can probably count on 3 or 4?

Also, the range is .22LR through the end of August, due to logging.  It should be back to all-caliber by Labor Day, but I'd have to double check.  Since LCR is at the end of September, how about we plan for something like the 11th (2nd Sat in Sept)?  That's far enough ahead I can get sponsors for anyone who needs them, can probably buy some ammo, and double-check with the range to make sure there's nothing going to put a damper on anything that weekend.

Is it time for an RSVP thread, or do we want to get some more input here first, regarding dates and stuff?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Since LCR is at the end of September, how about we plan for something like the 11th (2nd Sat in Sept)?  

Saturday would be the 10th, Sunday is the 11th......
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:47:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Gotcha.  Math + tired = bad.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#42]
So check this out.  My PL came up to me at the range and was like "So Voils, you shoot a lot, right?  Do you shoot on post?" and I commented that I hadn't, but I was intending to sometime in September.
So he asks about details, etc, and asks if I intended to use my M4, to which I said "I don't think I can check it out of the arms room for something like this." and he said "I don't think that'd be a problem, if you wanted to take it out and shoot it on your own time."

I wonder if I can check out an M2HB or M240B for use on my own time?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#43]
if we need more sponsors, my brother in law will be getting back some time in late september from Iraq, SO... if we want to plan a 2nd larger shoot, I'm sure he can dig up all the sponsors we need.
hug.gif
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top