Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/20/2005 8:15:45 PM EDT

It seems like all my backburner projects are going full tilt at the same time now, and its all arfcommers who got this crap going!

After Justin got me interested in the Mac's again, my Mac 10 has a new extractor coming from Numrich.....

I had a FAL I built (2 years ago maybe?) and two bolts. I got gauges (THX 1811GNR!) and figured out which one was mine The other bolt belongs to Tumbleweedits in a box in the car, no Post office at 0600 today.  The FAL is now in two boxes headed to be bead blasted and then off to see the Bunnywabbit!

And my NAA Mini went TU Sunday, it found a box and got shipped Monday.

I should be picking up my SP1 Friday!

Anyone else got any projects going???

Link Posted: 7/20/2005 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I gotta paint some guy's FAL...
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#2]
After a 20 week wait for the barrel, this little gun came together tonight.

Link Posted: 7/20/2005 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

localaccess.com/dktaylor/BMcarbine1.jpg

localaccess.com/dktaylor/BMcarbine2.jpg

Nice looking photos and beautiful rifle.

Unlike the rest of you guys, I have no patience / time to build rifles. I buy complete - ready to shoot firearms.

I picked up an M1 last week that I have yet to shoot ..... that's as close as I'll ever get to a 'project'
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 9:18:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Jeebus, don't get me started . . .

. . . too late.

The barrel is finally coming for my 1965 XM clone-- the last part I needed (brand new NOS M16A1 barrel, thin profile chromed 1-in-12 spin, the Real Deal, with a brand new M7 bayo)--

Taurus' M4gery is languishing because of lack of time--

I went and bought one each of Akron Bob's current batch of Kalashnikovs: a Grade One Tantal (gorgeous parts!), a Grade One PMKMS underfolder and a Bulgarian sidefolder (unissued-- how could I resist!), have most of the compliance parts and rivets, and receivers are on the way--

--and there are two Chinese AKMs that need a cosmetic rework, and two more ARs that are malfunctioning--

(and don't even get me started about my new job--)

--and did I mention that I'm driving my tired old Chevy because the charging system croaked in my truck?

--if you get bored, Cav, come on over.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 9:35:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Imagine OdT has firewood in his pic.

I'm just suprised that even I have more posts than him!!!!  
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 9:36:38 PM EDT
[#7]
What about that M16 barrel?

My latest project is consists of waiting for my DSA STG58 Rifle....
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a FN-49 in 30.06 that needs a stock and a Mag...

Im not even sure I will care if I get around to it or not, but with the mag for it pretty cheap at the Sportsmansguide right now and and a new stock only being about $65.00 I guess I could get it back up and running and then trade it off.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 10:05:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 10:18:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Let's see, I have an SNS lower fully assembled, and need to decide on a lightweight carbine 5.56mm upper.

I recently put a new front sight on the .303 carbine and now it hits where I aim, instead of very low.

I have another Enfield on the way (got put on 3 day wait at Monroe), and it needs new front and rear sights, and I am thinking of adding a folding stock to it.

My S&W 1917 .45 ACP just got new grips, a new milspec holster, I rounded off most of the sharp corners, it got a good cleaning of its innards, and I did some bluing touchups. I probably will take another run at touching up the bluing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 10:50:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks StrkAliteN, she's pretty to look at..... but whether or not I got my moneys worth is yet to be seen. Hope to get some triggertime soon.

(1GR) That section of firewood belongs to the next LCR shoot. It's been known to get a little chilly in September.

MSKOOTER, I'm a slow starter.....but I grow on people.

Link Posted: 7/20/2005 11:08:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

localaccess.com/dktaylor/BMcarbine1.jpg

localaccess.com/dktaylor/BMcarbine2.jpg

Very nice looking rifle!! That is the one you were telling me about at the last shoot, right?
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 12:52:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 5:35:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Im working on my colt atm. Waiting on a new barrel from Barsto and sights from Trijicon. Once I get those its off to Tripp Research to get refinished.

ODT that is a sweet looking rifle. A friend of mine has one of the Buckmark pistols and it has been one of the best .22s i have ever shot. He has more then 15k rounds through it now and hasnt had to replace anything on it. About 3 years ago I showed him how to detail cleant it. It was the first time it had ever had more then a brush run through the chamber and he had for atleast 4-5 years before that.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 6:49:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice rifle OdT, 20 weeks?

My unfinished gun projects consist of putting together yet another AR-15 upper (it's a disease), getting a receiver and building that FAL kit, rebarreling an AR-10, and sending my Rem 700 out to replace the factory barrel. Then there's couple I'd like to start, like an LRB M1A and a Dan Wesson .45ACP.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 7:18:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'm a slow starter.....but I grow on people.

Sounds just like Cancer...

Link Posted: 7/21/2005 10:03:06 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Nice rifle OdT, 20 weeks?

Um, yeah. The barrel is from Tactical Solutions in Boise ID. The barrels are kind of an oddity, that I was lucky to get in on. The offer to manufacture and sell a handfull of them came from the owner of the company, and he only mentioned it once on another forum that I visit.

Quality control is poor on the OEM Buckmark carbines/rifles to say the least, (NO relationship to the pistols.... they all shoot fine or much better), and especially on their carbon fiber offering, which falls in to the category of 'piss poor'. In fact, the bulk of these prototype barrels went to Browning engineers, who apperantly used their own personal money to purchase them, according to rumor. Part of my unofficial obligation is to test and report for accuracy to Tactical Solutions.

Anyhow, the barrels were scheduled for a six week production timeline, however, unfortunately, they had a major fire in the meantime and lost several pieces of exspensive equipment, and of course, time.

Right on Vader, I'm a huge Buckmark fan. When 1GR was still in the biz, he was kind enough to locate this less common version for me.... I may still owe him on this one.

Kooter, I'm not sure.... one of us had way too much to drink to recall the details of that conversation. But it might have been.

R-32, yes, EXACTLY!
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 10:08:07 AM EDT
[#18]
That pistol is pretty nice as well, I have never seen one in that configuration I imagine it must have been pretty rare.

As far as 1GR goes i dont think you owe him. I bought an SKS(that jammed alot btw) from him and the slacker wouldnt even show me how to take it apart in his shop. Customer service is a lost art i guess
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#19]
LOL, what he lacks in customer service ability, he makes up for in rural hosting abilities.

(The BM above is dubbed the 'Unlimited Silhouette' and wears a 14" barrel. Discontinued around '91 or so. I have the trigger at just over 1 lb, and the Burris 3-12 allows for competition with even the most serious custom rifles.... Browning definitely did something right on this one! It stacks Wolf Match Target ammo right on top of one another...suhweet!)
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 10:53:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Currently.....final touches on "oscar" my M4gery....

Then theres the "Have to" builds (in order of precedence):

The Hippie's AR
9mm Colt style Carbine
AR Pistol (looking to get a bipod and a rubber stopper for the buffer tube so it doesn't bang into my shoulder)
AR-10

And the list goes on and on....
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#21]
let see, I have an reciever block to ship back, Fal handgaurds to pick through, just sent away for a carry handle for the m-4, in the process of refinishing a m1 garand stock set, spackelling walls in the house, painting, laying a tile floor in the kitchen, steam cleaning carpets, finnaly getting the house on the market, looking at new houses to buy, trying to find a new sight for the m-4, two AK kits and recievers are on the way as well as looking for another fal Kit and reciever for my dad.  the list goes on.........
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
let see, I have an reciever block to ship back, Fal handgaurds to pick through, just sent away for a carry handle for the m-4, in the process of refinishing a m1 garand stock set, spackelling walls in the house, painting, laying a tile floor in the kitchen, steam cleaning carpets, finnaly getting the house on the market, looking at new houses to buy, trying to find a new sight for the m-4, two AK kits and recievers are on the way as well as looking for another fal Kit and reciever for my dad.  the list goes on.........

Fal Handguards....did you talk to CavVet?

Link Posted: 7/21/2005 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Projects?...yes.
Money to complete said projects?....no.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 3:38:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The FAL is now in two boxes headed to be bead blasted and then off to see the Bunnywabbit!

Me and Bunny did another marathon paint/bake day and if you have the black done for your fal, Just look at a SNS or MEGA lower for a idea of how the shade will be, I did a upper receiver today that matches up with my SNS/MEGA lowers real nice.

BTW: I have access to a bead blasting booth at the brother in laws car shop.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I have seven AK kits sitting here waiting to be built.  But, instead of starting in on them, I think I will squirrel away money for the coming imports of The U.S. military C&R stuff.  That will make me go broke!    
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Baking cookies in your underwear again I see.....

Quoted:
Me and Bunny did another marathon bake day

Link Posted: 7/21/2005 5:19:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Anyone else got any projects going???

Yeah a few but someone sold me a BIG bore and I've been too busy playing with it and buying stuff for it to mess with the ar lower, the cooks half painted FAL , the smelly that needs a taller front sight, 5000 projectiles to run through Bob the Dillon, the 300 H&H that needs the bedding job finished and if I thought longer I'm sure I could come up with more things on the never shrinking list.

DD
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Just ordered an SPRish upper for my brother from ADCO.    The barrel is back-ordered a month or so.  

the L1A1 boat anchor project still sits in the closet, waiting for a US-made inch-pattern hammer/trigger/sear.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Me and Bunny did another marathon paint/bake day and if you have the black done for your fal, Just look at a SNS or MEGA lower for a idea of how the shade will be, I did a upper receiver today that matches up with my SNS/MEGA lowers real nice.

Same shade eh?

So are you telling me to skip taking it to this guy and just bring the boxes up north??

Link Posted: 7/21/2005 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I've got two Marlin 81 .22 rifles that belonged to my Dad and Uncle Jim --- both need a part that guides the cartridge into the chamber.  Uncle Jim's needs the entire firing pin assembly part of the bolt.

My Remington 700 BDL / .375 ULTRA MANGLE'EM is ready for a test drive before I spend $150.00 for 8-40 screwholes and the "UN-LOCK" bolt shroud/firing pin.
I think it'll be OK to fire a few rounds first, then have the work done.

Sounds pretty tame, huh?  Extreme ends of the bolt-action rifle cartridges, though...
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Question for you builders....

..I can understand that part of the allure of building rifles is simply to get all the custom features you want, but as far as money goes, does a homebuilt rifle cost 50%of what you would have to pay for it pre-built? 75%? 110%?  ....or ..... is there simply no comparison because they are one of a kinds? (analogous to reloading , perhaps?)

Also, do you simply reassemble parts as you would after a really good breakdown for cleaning, or are there considerable tools and gunsmithing skills required?

CarbineO
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 9:22:15 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same shade eh?

So are you telling me to skip taking it to this guy and just bring the boxes up north??

I does look a little better on the SNS...

The booth is only about 3 feet so If it will fit, then sure, If your other guy is close and dont charge ya then I guess it is 6 one way 1/2 doz the other...
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 9:24:37 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

..I can understand that part of the allure of building rifles is simply to get all the custom features you want, but as far as money goes, does a homebuilt rifle cost 50%of what you would have to pay for it pre-built? 75%? 110%?  ....or ..... is there simply no comparison because they are one of a kinds? (analogous to reloading , perhaps?)

Also, do you simply reassemble parts as you would after a really good breakdown for cleaning, or are there considerable tools and gunsmithing skills required?

CarbineO

I build pretty basic rifles, I also watch for the deals so I figure that I can save about 30% if Im willing to wait for the right deal to come along.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CarbineO

I build pretty basic rifles, I also watch for the deals so I figure that I can save about 30% if Im willing to wait for the right deal to come along.

11% Federal Excise Tax right out of the gate so that is a the least you will save...
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#36]
1 for two in firearms updates today.

Talked to Dave at Ferret finally (all my procrastination), this bolt on my desk is headed his way for an ugrade, look for my Ferret at the next LCR.

Numrich sent me the wrong MAC extractor, despite my followup email telling them exactly which one it was and wasnt.

Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
1 for two in firearms updates today.

Talked to Dave at Ferret finally (all my procrastination), this bolt on my desk is headed his way for an ugrade, look for my Ferret at the next LCR.

Yes, but will it be Frisky?
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/22/2005 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

CarbineO

I assume you are talking about the AR, but with an AK, you can rougly cut the cost in half by building your own.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#40]

6 more AK kits should be here next week; so yeah I have a few projects.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 11:09:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:19:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Damn, I wish I could have gotten my hands on a FAL kit...
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:23:01 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL

oh, c'mon...you were practically begging for that....

note to self...must check ALL updated threads in HTF..missed Cav's reply by a whole week...could have been laughing days sooner...
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:26:36 AM EDT
[#44]
I have no photos as of yet, but I am currently turning one garden variety 870 into a decent approximation of what Wilson Combat sells for a lot more money.

I also am in the process of refurbing 7 AR magazines with new springs, plates, followers, finish, and magpuls.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:39:08 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=STG58K&storeid=1&image=stg58sets.gif&CFID=480366&CFTOKEN=75666039

But you better hurry with this new ATF legislation.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:40:22 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=STG58K&storeid=1&image=stg58sets.gif&CFID=480366&CFTOKEN=75666039

But you better hurry with this new ATF legislation.

I guess Im on it...

Thanks for the link.

Mac, you may aswell come over one of the days  Myself and DaBunny Stand around in our underwear and bake cookies do Sandstrom  9A refinishing on our mags...
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:55:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Just to set the record straight

I'd have my own picture, but my digital camera went back for repair

and as Wombat said, more AK kits, FAL kits and 1919 barrels are on the way, and I need to get another lower and parts kit for my M16A1 clone
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#48]
You guys don't have enough time to sit and read my list of gottadoo's. While I'm in Inchelium, drinking beer and shooting at trees, I'll try to make a list. When I get back, I'll post it. Bring a lunch!
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Thought about this thread at a BBQ this afternoon........

A buddy of mine gave me a Ruger 10/22 barrel.....

Another fuckin project............
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:56:23 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I have seven AK kits sitting here waiting to be built.  But, instead of starting in on them, I think I will squirrel away money for the coming imports of The U.S. military C&R stuff.  That will make me go broke!    

Amen brother...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top