Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2005 8:13:58 PM EDT
Out of curiosity, how many of you guys have Ham licenses?  I just got my Technician license last week.  As a friend put it, "you are now part of another group of oddballs!"
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I do, but I dont know my call, I have a copy somewhere, but I only did it so I could fly my radio control planes on the Ham Band...

I have a duel band HT somewhere in my garage also, but have never keyd up..
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:53:46 PM EDT
[#2]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=353927

I was an active ham (technician with code) many years ago.  I have a FCC GROL commercial radio license now, but I don't use it.  Ham was cool before the internet, I got into packet radio way back when I was a kid and it was new, but now I see absolutely no need to send or receive morse.  Hopefully we will see morse totally phased out soon, and allow extra class licenses with all privileges with no code req.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:18:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes and no

but I wish more would learn code as it can be used with light, sound, flags, etc. and still get a message across.

..._    ..._     ..._
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:26:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Congrats on getting your ham license.  Been a ham here for 30 years and an Extra class for almost  20 years.

Quoted:
................. but now I see absolutely no need to send or receive morse.  Hopefully we will see morse totally phased out soon, and allow extra class licenses with all privileges with no code req.  

Although I am not as active on CW as I once was (still get on that portion of the band occasionally); I don't feel that it should be eliminated.  There is still lots of activity there.  I don't totally agree with the direction that amateur radio is going these days.  But I'm not going to get into all my opinions about it right now.  I'll just say that every ham should know how to send and recieve morse code.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:21:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Looking to sell these unused items to help justify buying an AR-10. I could have posted this in the EE but most people wouldn't understand. I've had my Extra for 10 years.

<removed WTS items. Please post all WTS items in the Equipment Exchange> - JAFO

Indeed, there are many oddballs in amateur radio, but there are also many wonderful people as well and much to learn. The technical aspect can open a new world.

I would like to experiment with the different digital modes but haven't taken time to do so.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:47:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I primarily got my license so I can communicate with friends while we are out hunting, at the cabin, etc.  FRS radios have too short of a range, and CB is ridiculous with all the traffic, attitudes and language.  The Ham stuff will be more reliable, more civilized, and allow us to hit repeaters after someone goes around a hill, which is five minutes in any direction in this part of the state.  

ETA:  I plan on learning code as well.  I most likely won't use it, but I want to know it.  I'll upgrade my license when I do.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:00:32 AM EDT
[#7]
We've got a geek at work who is a Ham, he's pretty active in the regional users group with the swap meet and campout get together.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#8]
MMMMMMM, ham.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top