Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2005 12:59:08 PM EDT
Anyone have one or know much about them?
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had a few of them-- fun little rifles-- what do you need to know?
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#2]
What is the best manufacturer, what to avoid, how accurate, reliable, etc. Theres one on GunBroker new for $89, seems almost too cheap.
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 2:08:18 PM EDT
[#3]
The three prinipal makers, IIRC, have been Armalite-Costa Mesa, Charter Arms, and Survival Arms-Henry. The ones currenty being marketed are the Henrys. Myself, I like the Chater Arms variant better, because the wrist of the stock on the Survival/Henry seems like it doesn't have enough angle, and I can't get my nose down far enough to see the sights. YMMV. They do make a scope mount, but it always seemed to lose the cool of folding into the stock that way. All parts will interchange between all models except the early Armalites, and most of those will too. (I forget which ones don't.) So if you find a Charter with a shot-out barrel, a Henry barrel should fit.

The 30-round mags that use the long ribbon spring work fairly well, until you split the case. I never had any others to try, but I know they're out there.

You're making me really wish I had never horse-traded off my last one--
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 2:38:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The three prinipal makers, IIRC, have been Armalite-Costa Mesa, Charter Arms, and Survival Arms-Henry. The ones currenty being marketed are the Henrys. Myself, I like the Chater Arms variant better, because the wrist of the stock on the Survival/Henry seems like it doesn't have enough angle, and I can't get my nose down far enough to see the sights. YMMV. They do make a scope mount, but it always seemed to lose the cool of folding into the stock that way. All parts will interchange between all models except the early Armalites, and most of those will too. (I forget which ones don't.) So if you find a Charter with a shot-out barrel, a Henry barrel should fit.

The 30-round mags that use the long ribbon spring work fairly well, until you split the case. I never had any others to try, but I know they're out there.

You're making me really wish I had never horse-traded off my last one--

I'm selling one of those 25/30 round mags in EE, plus the Henry Arms AR7 is superior to AR7 Industries by far. Don't have any experience with Charter, however.
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I own the Henry Arms version of this sweet little 22LR. Henery updated this gun from the old aluminum alloy barrel to steel and added an extra seven round mag within the stock.  Excellent hide out gun for under the seat for little tree rats or crows.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm selling one of those 25/30 round mags in EE, plus the Henry Arms AR7 is superior to AR7 Industries by far. Don't have any experience with Charter, however.

Its a good thing JAFO isnt around because he would lock this bitch up tight for WTS shit outside of EE.

Its also a violation of the rules to trash peoples threads in EE, but since you brought it out here, WTF? Are you not trying to sell that mag???  $55? $45??  

Thats half the cost of a rifle! A similar 10/22 mag is $20.

Link Posted: 5/8/2005 12:18:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Shoot, I can't hardly give away my charter arms explorer II, that's the pistol version of the AR-7. Neat little gun, just a little picky on ammo.
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 5:36:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Shoot, I can't hardly give away my charter arms explorer II, that's the pistol version of the AR-7. Neat little gun, just a little picky on ammo.

Oh yes you can. I was fondling DaBunnys EXP II when I was at his house the othe rnight workin on Hillary. It was one of my early pistols. It will make a matching set for my AR7. Duh, GET BOTH!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:25:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a Charter Arms.  It was a piece of crap.  After a few uses, it began doubling.  Jammed a lot even with the factory mags.  Very low quality finish and parts.  The sights were unusable.

The ability to store everything inside the stock ("it floats!" -- so do Ivory soap bars and turds) is a cute gimmick, but that's all it really is.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I started this thread because I have always wanted a rifle I could fit in a small pack, I have never even shot one. And I have heard they are resistant to boating mishaps.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:24:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I had one made by Henry, it's a decent little gun for plinking and playing.
They're really picky and you have to tune em a bit to get em to run right but considering the takedown ability and low price that's understandeable.
I gave mine to my mother cuz she thought it was "cute"
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:46:12 PM EDT
[#12]

I have an old Charter Arms that needs round nose high velocity ammo, but it's a fun little gun.

Cheers,
Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top