Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2005 10:11:47 PM EDT
Saw it while sitting in a locomotive at work at about 8pm. Looked like a huge roman candle flying across the sky. Pretty cool stuff.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw something like a big firework.  I was driving south in 99 in Edmonds and it went east-west.   Not sure about the time but I think its was around 7pm, maybe a little later.

What the heck was that?  
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Flaming Object Seen In Night Sky

Flaming Object Seen In Night Sky (No, not F-F)

SEATTLE - A fireball streaked through the night sky across the western half of the Pacific Northwest on Saturday, startling people all the way from southern Oregon to the Seattle area.

Hundreds of Washington residents called the KOMO news desk to report seeing a bright green object streak across the sky just before 8 p.m.

Scientists said the fireball was probably a meteor, and that it likely disintegrated just before any fragments fell into the Pacific Ocean.

Summer Jensen of Portland said she was sitting in her living room with her father when she saw the flash of light outside and rushed to see what it was.

"It was like a big ball of fire" and "behind it was a trail of blue," she said.

"I've never seen anything like that," Jensen said, adding that the object appeared to be moving slowly.

Michael O'Connor, a duty officer at the Federal Aviation Administration's regional office in Renton, Wash., said he fielded "a whole ton of calls" from people reporting they had seen a bright streak across the sky shortly before 8 p.m.

He said police, pilots and some air traffic controllers described it as "a green ball of fire with a long tail."

O'Connor said reports came from as far east as the Tri-Cities area in Washington.

"It appears to have come down over the ocean," said Dick Pugh, with the Cascadia Meteorite Laboratory in Portland.

He said the object flew over the Pacific Coast, streaking along from south to north.

Melinda Hutson, another expert at the lab, said meteors large enough to turn into fireballs are uncommon.

To get a fireball, it has to be "a big piece of rock or metal - most are pieces of asteroids. Once every once in a while a piece of the moon or Mars breaks off," she said.

Astronomer Jim Todd, planetarium director at the Oregon Museum of Science & Industry, said that if the meteor had entered the atmosphere during the daytime, it may not even have be noticed.

"It creates a bright contrast against the night sky," Todd said.

The last time a meteor was reported striking anything on the ground in Oregon - becoming a meteorite - was in May 1981.

On March 27, 2003, more than 100 chunks of rock believed to be the remains of a meteor rained down on houses, puncturing roofs and destroying landscaping in Park Forest, Ill., a suburb south of Chicago. No one was injured.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:28:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry about the confusion.  It was actually a leftover big f*ckin' mortar shell I got from the Muckleshoot Reservation on the Fourth of July just a meteor like KOMO says.

hug.gif
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:36:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:14:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I heard about it...

over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

You get the point...
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:46:40 PM EDT
[#6]
as the system message says

"this belongs in the UFO forum"
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:51:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I heard about it...

over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

You get the point...

Good thing weekends are free on my cell phone plan. All those calls to 911 really added up!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:06:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I heard about it...

You get the point...

Good thing weekends are free on my cell phone plan. All those calls to 911 really added up!

Asshole!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top