Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 12:27:39 PM EDT
Modern deer is here, elk next and I have once again gathered everything but food to eat in the woods.  Now I have to scramble to put together food quick that is light on packaging, filling & at least semi-nutritious, and doesn't need refrigeration, and is fairly cheap.  I have some Mountain House stuff, but looking for other ideas before I set off in a couple hours.  Sandwiches and dried soups/stews just get annoying after a while.

Any ideas? Recipes? I figure I'm not the only one with this problem.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:22:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Modern deer is here,

I like the old fashioned deer much better.  The modern ones spend all thier time playing video games and never come out into the woods where we have a fair shot at them...

As to your question, I always just eat back at hunting camp.  What every you like just bring it.  All the convieniences of modern day camping.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#2]
When I hunt I'm OUT there....

I usually pack extremely light, carrying only a fanny pack.  I take some jerky or a stick of pepperoni, a block of cheese, lighter, compass, map, deer drag equip, heat packs, doe scent, glovers, parka, and a camel back with water.

My Browning ABolt 270 has an ammo sleeve on the stock where I keep extra rounds.  My 3X9 Accupoint does the rest.

I go out to hunt, not chow.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Modern deer is here, elk next and I have once again gathered everything but food to eat in the woods.  Now I have to scramble to put together food quick that is light on packaging, filling & at least semi-nutritious, and doesn't need refrigeration, and is fairly cheap.  I have some Mountain House stuff, but looking for other ideas before I set off in a couple hours.  Sandwiches and dried soups/stews just get annoying after a while.

Any ideas? Recipes? I figure I'm not the only one with this problem.

Fairly cheap?... is that what you think of your body?

How long are you gone for?...

Are you going to have a hunting camp?...

I do premaid SOS for hunting camp Eggs, and Spuds apples, oranges...whatever...

In the field a couple snickers bars, and Jerkey, some Coffee packets, a couple of apples to baite eat.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#4]
When in the field, I keep a couple pounds of Landjaegers or homemade jerky and a couple Gravenstein apples with me.  Everything else stays in the fridge in the truck.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:29:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Get some MREs!  The new ones are actually rather tasty, and contain lots of stuff.  They even include a water activated heater to heat the entrees.  All the garbage goes back in the bag for pack-out.  At $3.50 each (if bought at the Puyallup WAC show) you can't really beat them for value and convenience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top