Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2004 4:39:04 PM EDT
OK boys, and you too CombatJack ;

I'm looking into shit canning my dialup connection and the home telephone and upgrading to cable access and a cellphone, what I need to know is which cell phone providers to stay the hell away from and which ones are worth looking at.  

I'd like to try to stay in the $50(or less) total monthly cell phone fee if I can.

Let's hear who you like and who you hate.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#2]
My family and friends and I seem to be happy with various T-mobile plans, and coverage seems to be good along I-5 corridor.

We use Nextels at work.  The direct connect function saves a ton of money for them, but the phones and coverage are horrible, at least for our usage in Whatcom/Skagit/Island counties.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been using AT&T for the past 3-4 years now.  Good deals, coverage, and phones.  With the Cingular acquisition I now get to use Cingular's network as well.

BTW, I use my cell phone exclusively, w/ cable internet in the Pullman/Moscow area.  Go Cougs.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#5]
With my shopping around so far (about 30 minutes) it looks like At&T and Verizon have the lead.

One silly question, is Canada included in free domestic long distance?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#6]
i had verizon for two years and now i have T-Mobile. The difference is night and day. verizon has shitty service and there cell coverage was kind of spotty. I switched up to T-mobile and havnt looked back yet. GSM works way better then cdma for the type of service. try hitting up all the booths you can to see how they provide serviec and the deal you can get.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had the same Sprint account for 6.5 years, 'nuff said.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:37:04 PM EDT
[#10]
T-mobile has the best air time rates, and just won the #1 rating for customer service according to JD Powers.

In 3 days, I won't be working my contract job at T-mobile, but will be getting a T-mobile Cellphone.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:59:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Verizon has good coverage from Centralia to the border. Nextel cuts out just outside the I5 corridor. Of all the phones we've tried, they had the most dead spots. Verizon also offers the "in" plan, which works well for us.

Phil, even YOU never spell my name right
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:24:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Verizon has good coverage from Centralia to the border. Nextel cuts out just outside the I5 corridor. Of all the phones we've tried, they had the most dead spots. Verizon also offers the "in" plan, which works well for us.

Phil, even YOU never spell my name right

Yes I did, _ isn't a letter thus it's not part of the spelling.  

T-Mobile= poor coverage area, it actually looks a lot like my current prepaid VirginWireless (Sprint) coverage, AKA leave I-5 and die.  

Cingular as it exists today has similar crappy coverage.

Nextel isn't as crappy coverage wise but their plans stink.

It still looks like I'll be calling AT&T and Verizon to see what they have to offer.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:45:19 AM EDT
[#14]
My sister works for TMobile, its ashamed when we are at my parents house in San JOse she has to use my Verizon to get a signal.

I have been with Verizon (and the 2 companies before them) since 91. I have great service, reception damn near anywhere (I was able to get out when we had the LCR, I dont recall anyone else being able to).

Sprint has dead spots all over Seattle.

BTW, when I got Broadband I too dropped my house phone. Never had one regret. No telemarketers.

And yes 2WP, pay attention here

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:56:09 AM EDT
[#15]
WTF is a cell phone?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
WTF is a cell phone?

Man get fire, man stays warm..............

2WP get cell phone, 2WP can be contacted............

It is not that frickin' hard.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:03:19 AM EDT
[#17]

verizon has shitty service and there cell coverage was kind of spotty.

I second that. I get shitty reception in my basement, and lately, if I do connect, it sounds like I'm talking to Kermit the Frog, who just gave Fozzy a bj and hasn't swallowed yet.

Lovely visual, huh?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I've had Verizon (originally US West, then something else) for 6 or 7 years now. Compared to the different cell phone services co-workers have, it seems like Verizon has the best coverage in Washington, at least western Washington.

I don't think the standard plans from any of the carriers cover Canada. You have to get an upgraded plan (read: more $$$).

Also, sometimes I wish they would deactivate the Active Topics button. No offense, but who in WA really cares what cell phone service is like in Florida? Could you get any further way from here in the continental US?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

verizon has shitty service and there cell coverage was kind of spotty.

I second that. I get shitty reception in my basement, and lately, if I do connect, it sounds like I'm talking to Kermit the Frog, who just gave Fozzy a bj and hasn't swallowed yet.

Lovely visual, huh?

Sounds like you need to spend less time watching Sesame Street in the basement.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:30:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Since I work for one of the companies in question, I guess any advice I give might be a little biased.  

Woody
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#21]
I have Qwest
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I got a plan with Verizon since some guys at work that have had everything around said it seemed to be the best and I haven't had any complaints except when the phone died after I got every number under the sun in it and couldn't be gotten out. (nice run on sentence there huh?)

Motorola t730 fro anyone interested.

Oh and I do have to say I was a cell phone naysayer for years until I got this one and I dont know how on God's green earth I lived without one until now. I always figured it would be a leash and I didn't want anything to do with that. It's handiness has outweighed any leash effect by far.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
WTF is a cell phone?

Man get fire, man stays warm..............

2WP get cell phone, 2WP can be contacted............

It is not that frickin' hard.

Come on, lighten up on the guy, last I heard he didnt even have a PC!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Canada?

I have been happy with Verizon. If you get Verizon, you can talk to C/J for free all you want.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:01:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I RECENTLY CONDUCTED MY OWN SURVEY ON THIS SAME QUESTION.  INTERESTING RESULTS.

I recently polled everyone I knew on email about which service they use because I was thinking of switching.  I didn't even ask people what they thought of their service... just which one they had.  What was interesting to note was that nearly everyone responded back to me with just the name of their service (ie. "Sprint", "AT&T", "Nextel", etc.) except for a few.  Overall, there was a pretty even distribution of service among those I surveyed.

Only the people with Verizon responded back with comments like "I have Verizon and I love it!", or "I have Verizon and it's the best!", or "I love my Verizon phone!"  It was a very strange distinction.  I got to thinking that maybe Verizon puts some sort of digital drugs in their signal to make people so elated about their service, but I realize that their customers are just plain happy with the service.

I have AT&T MLife and it completely SUCKS.  I love my phone (Motorola MPX-200), but I HATE the service.  I used to have AT&T Digital which I still think is the best.  I used to take that phone snowboarding way up in the mountains (East coast, West Coast, Canada) and never a signal problem.  MLife sucks bad.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:32:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Canada?

Some of us have legitimate needs for cellular service in Canada. Verizon used to have an add on package for like $10 a month that offered service in the greater Vancouver, BC area, that could be added on to any existing plan. But now you have to buy one of a couple of expensive plans that have limited minutes.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a T-Mobile brought from Atlanta and it works better here than there.   That is, here signal is almost perfect and I was even surprised to receive a phone call in a ferry in the middle of Pudget.   The ferrys probably have a repeater antenna.  Cannot imagine the signal so good in the middle of nowhere.

Got an AT&T from company that also works fine.  But I like T-Mobile better becausde I can use its GPRS network to browse Internet using my PDA.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I've got AT&T GSM service.  I've been with them since the old Cellular One days (about 11 years now.)  I never changed in the past because I wanted to keep my same phone number.  Now that number portability is here, I'm still with AT&T.  Their GSM coverage is improving everyday, and I think they have the best nationwide coverage.  

Oh yeah, my phone also worked when I was on vacation last month in London, Hamburg, Kiel, Berlin, Dresden and Prague (CZ.)  Now that's what I call ROAMING!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:18:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Been with Verizon since 1996.
Service is excellent way up even Greenwater and Mt. Rainier.
Service is excellent in Snoqualmie and ALL Forrest Service Roads, I never had a no signal with my phone anywhere I've gone I've had signal.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#31]
 I had ATT for running 48 states and the coverage was great but my bill was $300 a month but I was on it all the time chasing women all over the country. Went to nextel ruining the 48 and had a signal half the time. But my bill went to $100 a month. And did not even work in some states or up and down I5 for that matter. When I went local with nextel is when I had problems on a monthly bases and their customer service and polices suck!!!  I have T-Mobil now and live in Edgewood and don't have a signal at home 1/2 the time (WTF)...

I think you were looking for a Internet provider? We just got hooked up with Comcast and its Fast. With good service.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:47:34 AM EDT
[#32]
If you don't have coverage at home, call your carrier and complain. Complaints help them determine where to put towers....
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top