Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2004 11:14:25 PM EDT
Is it legal to open carry in Washington state? Will be visiting don't have a ccw permit that is good in Washington.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:19:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think it's technically illegal, but If you're going to be anywhere in the bellingham/everett/seattle/tacoma/olympia/vancouver area it would be a very bad idea.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:21:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:57:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm going to point out that without a CPL it's illegal to carry a loaded handgun in any motor vehicle RCW 9.41.050

RCW 9.41.050
Carrying firearms.
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

It's illegal for anyone to have a loaded rifle or shotgun in a vehicle

RCW 77.15.460
Loaded firearm in vehicle -- Unlawful use or possession -- Penalty.

(1) A person is guilty of unlawful possession of a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle if:

(a) The person carries, transports, conveys, possesses, or controls a rifle or shotgun in or on a motor vehicle; and

(b) The rifle or shotgun contains shells or cartridges in the magazine or chamber, or is a muzzle-loading firearm that is loaded and capped or primed.

At I'm going to quote from Dave Workmans book Washington Gun Rights and Responsibilities"
IMPORTANT! Do NOT be confused about Washington's allowance of so-called "Open Carry."  The concept of "Open Carry" here does not grant private citizens blanket authority to carry a loaded handgun openly in public!  Take the author's advice: Don't do this!"

I belive that RCW 9.61.060 is what people cite when they discuss open carry in WA.

RCW 9.41.060
Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

(1) Marshals, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens or their deputies, or other law enforcement officers of this state or another state;

(2) Members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves, when on duty;

(3) Officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry a concealed pistol;

(4) Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of the person, if possessing, using, or carrying a pistol in the usual or ordinary course of the business;

(5) Regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive pistols from the United States or from this state;

(6) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting, when those members are at or are going to or from their places of target practice;

(7) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of modern and antique firearm collecting, when those members are at or are going to or from their collector's gun shows and exhibits;

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper; or

(10) Law enforcement officers retired for service or physical disabilities, except for those law enforcement officers retired because of mental or stress-related disabilities. This subsection applies only to a retired officer who has: (a) Obtained documentation from a law enforcement agency within Washington state from which he or she retired that is signed by the agency's chief law enforcement officer and that states that the retired officer was retired for service or physical disability; and (b) not been convicted of a crime making him or her ineligible for a concealed pistol license.

There's a chance I may see Workman today, I'll ask him if that's the correct RCW, I'm running late or I'd spend more time on this.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top