Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2004 4:58:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:36:43 AM EDT
[#1]
[lib fag mode]That is very dangerous, and a waste of tax dollars, how do we know that pilot is not on a short final to the Columbia tower?...You think 2 Jets in NYC was a disaster? Just think what a C-130 and s flight of little blue and yellow hornets would do if one of those pilots were to have a accident![/lib fag mode]

DAMN I LOVE THE BLUE ANGELS! I remmember when they were flying the A-4's and did the switch to the F-18's, I really think the A-4's were much more cool, but to watch the F-18's damn near hover in one spot at a 65* nose up angle and then just go like a bat out of hell out of sight was pretty cool as a kid.

I guess the NAVY is good for something!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I met the pilot of Fat Albert when they were here. He was surprised I knew it was a USMC plane.

Thats what ya learn when you work with jarheads.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:06:58 AM EDT
[#3]
When you refer to Fat Albert, are you referring to the name given to that individual aircraft?  

The only reference to Fat Albert and aircraft I am aware of is when referring to the C-5 Galaxy which is a HUGE aircraft...hence the nick-name.  The USAF never sanctioned the use of the nick-name, but...

I will agree that the Blue Angels are better than the USAF Thunderbirds.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:34:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Fat Albert at the Sky Prick during Sea-Fair  

The title sounds like a Beatles song.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#5]
The Blue Angels have been refering to the Marine C-130 as Fat Albert before the Chair Force had the C-5 in operational use.

From Harry Gann (blueangels.org):

FAT ALBERT AND ERNIE TOO

In the 1970's, a Lockheed C-121J Constellation provided the Blue Angels transportation between show sites for the maintenance and support troops. While the Connie was a graceful appearing aircraft, it was not the best vehicle for this logistical mission. It was difficult to load heavy equipment such as spare engines. The team requested a more suitable vehicle from the Navy system but was informed that none were available.

The Marine Corps save the day by making available a KC-130F with a supporting marine crew. Hercules BuNo 150690 arrived in Pensacola, On 22 July 1970 ready for action. The low-slung, fat bellied, wide-bodied Lockheed product quickly acquired the name of "Fat Albert or Bert" for short borrowed from a Bill Cosby TV character. It was to prove an excellent choice for the prescribed duties.

Some of the nicknames for the C-5:
"Suisun Balloon"
"FRED"  Fantastic Ridiculous Economic Disaster / Fucking Radical Engineering Disaster

Quoted:
When you refer to Fat Albert, are you referring to the name given to that individual aircraft?  

The only reference to Fat Albert and aircraft I am aware of is when referring to the C-5 Galaxy which is a HUGE aircraft...hence the nick-name.  The USAF never sanctioned the use of the nick-name, but...

I will agree that the Blue Angels are better than the USAF Thunderbirds.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I met the pilot of Fat Albert when they were here. He was surprised I knew it was a USMC plane.

Somebody told you, or did the giant gold MARINES plastered all over it give you a clue?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Somebody told you, or did the giant gold MARINES plastered all over it give you a clue?

I had only seen it over the fence on the tarmac. My jarhead coworker told me.....

Im sure he is lurking........

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Kinda backwards isn't it.  Usually it's the Navy hauling the Marines' shit everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#9]
The Marines have more C-130's than the Navy does.

Quoted:
Kinda backwards isn't it.  Usually it's the Navy hauling the Marines' shit everywhere.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The Marines have more C-130's than the Navy does.

Quoted:

I understand that.  Just because I hardly ever post anything intelligent doesn't mean I'm stupid.  Just that I have little to offer in the way of intelligent conversation.  I save all my good stuff for Freerepublic.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Marines. Yes we are a Department of the Navy, We're the Mens Department!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:52:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Jarheads, you can't take them anywhere...

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top