Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2004 12:50:06 PM EDT
I always grew up thinking that heavy barreled guns are more accurate, but at 16" I guess Accuracy is relative.  So my question is what are the advantages of an M4 barrel and an HBAR?  I am looking to build my first AR and am having a hard time figuring this out.  Can you all Help?
Thanks Guys
Nex
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:34:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Because it's an excellent balance between a whippy lightweight barrel and the steadier but unnecessarilly heavy HBAR.

Plus you can mount an M203 on it if your into that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:44:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Light weight is the main thing I can come up with.  It all depends on what you want to do with your AR.  If you are going to have a rifle/ carbine strictly for target  shooting, you may as well get the HBAR.  If you ever plan on doing actual work with it, lighter is better.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both a 16" HBar with a phantom 1/9 with no chrome lining. the other is a 14.5" m4 with chrome lining and 1/7 and perm phantom love both. did think I would l the m4 barrel but I like it better both shot groups about the same m4 is a better balance for me
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:01:09 PM EDT
[#4]
How does the HBAR compare long term?  I imagine chroming has more to do with it than barrel weight.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#5]
You'll be considered a loser if you don't have an M4 barrel.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Stickman is right.  To answer this question you must first ask yourself, "What do I want to do with it?"

And if you can't decide, build both!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#7]
well i just read a thing on M4's saying that there is a milled down part for the M203 grenade launcher just behind the front sight, and they cut the barrel diameter down to save weight when one of those was mounted.  So i guess i just got to ask myself are you going to shoot grenades?  Heh Heh
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Actually, on the M4 there is milled down section just ahead of the front sight base. And it's not cut to save weight, it's cut down to the diameter of the lighter weight M16A1 barrel, which is what the M203 was originally designed to mount to. The portion of the barrel under the handguards is also cut down to this smaller diameter for the same reason, to allow the M203 to be mounted. The AR15A2/M16A2 has a similarly cut down section under the handguards, except that it's long enough for the M203 to be mounted without requiring an additional cut in front of the sight base carbine length barrels need. That these cuts lighten the barrel to a point that provides seemingly ideal balance is probably an unintended benefit.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks all...has
Jim
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#10]
go for the build both! pick one to start with and then start acumulating parts for another. I have a 20" stainless CMP which is really good for up to 300 yds, varmit or target but is heavy and long, and an M4 which is much lighter and perfectly good for up to 100 yds or so.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#11]
THE COOL FACTOR
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I forgot who made my barrel but it is a heavy barrel under the handguards and has the step down m203 thingy on the end.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Why not compromise and build a 20" Gov't profile?

I don't mean to torment you with another level of indecision!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I don't mean to torment you with another level of indecision!hr

my brain damage is almost permenant so torment away...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top